best bang for the buck at $150
May 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

isaac242

New Head-Fier
I am pretty much brand new to higher quality headphones, but want to learn a bit and get better taste. So i am looking for high quality in ear headphones for about $150, which i know is a bit ridiculous after reading some of the threads on here. but i thought id ask the experts. I travel a lot, so a stronger build, noise isolating and having a mic are some things i am looking for. i had the older version of the Vmoda Vibrato and they did the trick, but i was hoping for better quality headphones this time. I was reading about the GR07 in this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/588549/looking-for-an-iem-like-westone-4-under-100 
and was wondering your thoughts, just looking for some good advice. Thanks for the help. 

May 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 35
All the devices i use will have a mic, so i guess thats not necessary. 

Id prefer without an amp if possible. I know nothing about them, but the bigger thing is i like to be able to keep my headphone and ipod in my pocket all the time, an amp might be too much?

May 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 35
I personally do not like having to use an Amp, particularly on the go. Even though I was really impressed with the PX 360's, I took them back simply because they really needed an amp to sound great and have a lot of volume on the quieter tracks.

I'll be honest with you here, I don't think you need to spend that much money to get a really nice set of headphones (particularly since you're new at it). Sennheiser makes The PX 200 II's, which are really good for their size and the money. Also, there's a new set of headphones from Sennheiser, the HD 219's. I highly recommend both. Do some reading. I actually reviewed the HD 219's today on here. 

May 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 35
Yamaha EPH-100 my friend. 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100

May 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 35
So i have been looking at the se215, the EPH- 100, and the GR07. and i dont know. the GR07 are a bit more but people seem to rave about them. any advice in comparing them? 

May 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 35
If need isolation then Etymotic HF3/HF5 are recommended and they sound great out of iPods. but UETF10Pro, Klipsch Image X10i/X5, Sony EX600, EX7550 are highly recommended too.

May 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 35
I have the klipsch image x10i and etymotic hf-2. Both are fantastic, I would say if you want relatively short wearing periods characterized by unbelievable clarity, the HF-2 are probably the best thing sub 150 you will find. If you want to wear these headphones literally all day the Klipsch are the way to go, unbelievably comfortable. They also offer a warmer sound that offers quite a bit of bass. If you will ever use these with an iphone or mac computer make sure to get the version with the volume control and mic, you'll be glad you did. 

May 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 35
My choice is most defiantly the Rockit Sounds R-50, they sound awesome and are my favorite IEM in my collection.  It uses a TWFK driver like whats in the UE700, DBA-02/B2, GR01 and a few others.  They sound pretty much exactly like the Vsonic GR01 but cost $60 less ($119.99), if you want to read my review checkout the Rockit sounds thread.

May 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 35
The recommendations here are all over the board. Since you said you travel a lot I might suggest you take a look at the audio technica ANC 7. It's an active noise canceling headphone with incredible dynamics. Big bass,sparkly highs and smooth mids. Sounds incredible for under 150. No amp necessary as its already built in. should sound great with just about anything.

May 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 35
Well the R-50 doesn't have a mic so the Etymotic HF3 would fit all your needs perfectly.  They are one of the best for noise isolation, have a mic, sound really good and cost about $120 on Amazon.  For the people that will say they have no bass if you just EQ the bass up then theres plenty imo with good punch and decent depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back