Best bang for my upgrade dollars? Speakers? Source??
Feb 9, 2005 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Asmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm turning to head-fi to help me plan my upcoming purchases I have been putting off since xmas holidays, this April i'm moving into a new place, and I am getting a new office/music room, it will be about 15x20 (approx).

Anyways, I have a few grand to throw at some upgrades I've been thinking about for awhile, my current setup as you can see in my sig is not bad, but always room for improvement, I am not sure if I want new speakers, a new source and maybe a sub to bring more out of the speakers I got, or something totally different, here is what I'm thinking so far:

New speakers:

Looking at Paradigm Studio 40 v3 & NAD c352 int amplifier
(Reason I initially choose Paradigm is because my Local Dealer has good prices and I've always done businesss there, and I can get decent trade-in value on my stuff I have now, but I am definetly open other suggestions in this price range ($1000-1400 CDN for speakers, $600-1000 amp)

Or - maybe a new subwoofer ($500-700 CDN in price) to bring out the lacking low-end on my Monitor 5 v2s.

Source upgrade:
Benchmark DAC1
This is my initial choice because of the great synergy it has with sennheiser series headphones, if I ever got different headphones, I would probably go to 650s, but for now I am happy with my 580s.

I spend about 60/40 speakers/headphones time when listening to music.

Any suggestions? I've always had good advice when asking how to spend my hard earned money at head-fi
600smile.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 6
If I were you, this is what I'll do:

First and foremost i will get a decent dedicated source, perhaps a universal player which plays SACD and DVD-A along with Benchmark DAC. Then invest on a decent amp. Afterwards I’ll get an HD650 or a good priced HD600.

A speaker setup will cost "a lot" to beat the above mentioned headphone setup.

My $0.2

Edit: HD580 is a great headphone, but with the above mentioned setup you will benefit a lot from a HD650 or HD600.

Feb 9, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Good speakers are the best bang for the buck if you're not upgrading for headphone purposes. However, even with the Paradigm 40's you may still need the sub. If you're running your TV through it too, that's not a bad setup.

If you're using your rig strictly for music, then I'd look at buying full-sized tower speakers and using them without a sub. You should audition the Paradigm 60s and 80s and compare the sound to the 40s with and without the sub.

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Asmo,
I suggest getting a dedicated source. For redbook only, go for a used Merdian 508.20. I have owned the 508.24 and the sound is nothing short of amazing. For a cheaper redbook source, something like a Music Hall CD25 or one that is modified. This player is only beat by the Meridian slightly and is great for the money. For a universal source, now that Denon has come out with a newer model to replace the 2900, it's a good time to pick up the 2900 for a good price.

As for speakers, a small floor stander is perfect for your room. Floor standers don't need stands and has enough low bass for your room, eliminating the need of a subwoofer. A site you might want to look at, www.canuckaudiomart.ca has some good deals on speakers and other audio related things if you want to go the used route.

By the way, if you plan on selling your NAD C320BBE, please let me know.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
If you're using your rig strictly for music, then I'd look at buying full-sized tower speakers and using them without a sub. You should audition the Paradigm 60s and 80s and compare the sound to the 40s with and without the sub.

i concur. i think the 60s are a great pair of floorstanders for the price, not too big.. perfect for your size room. also, they were recently redesigned, so may be able to find a really good clearance/showroom price on last year's model.

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeno7651
Asmo,
I suggest getting a dedicated source. For redbook only, go for a used Merdian 508.20. I have owned the 508.24 and the sound is nothing short of amazing. For a cheaper redbook source, something like a Music Hall CD25 or one that is modified. This player is only beat by the Meridian slightly and is great for the money. For a universal source, now that Denon has come out with a newer model to replace the 2900, it's a good time to pick up the 2900 for a good price.

As for speakers, a small floor stander is perfect for your room. Floor standers don't need stands and has enough low bass for your room, eliminating the need of a subwoofer. A site you might want to look at, www.canuckaudiomart.ca has some good deals on speakers and other audio related things if you want to go the used route.

By the way, if you plan on selling your NAD C320BBE, please let me know.

Yah, I have heard the studio 40s, 60s *and the higher models* a couple of months ago, I liked the 40s better actually (although less bass) the mids were better than the 60s IMO, but I will definetly give them another listen. I have canuckaudiomark.ca bookmarked, great site, my local dealer often has good deals on used or older versions of speakers as well.

I would consider a high end dedicated CDP like a used meridan or music hall, but I want to stay with PC source based solutions, I am using this setup purely for music, I am often at my PC when at home after work and on weekends and that is when I listen to music, and also when reading or in other places in my new room, won't be a tv, movies are not a consideration here.

I will be selling my NAD c320BEE almost definetly, I can get good trade in for my Paradigms, but I will be selling my NAD seperately, but not for another month probably, maybe sooner, depending on if I decide to get a new amp for new speakers, I could perhaps pick up a new amp sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back