Best Bang for My Buck! Help finding a PC gaming headset under $50-100
Dec 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

erick151

New Head-Fier
First off this is my first post and so I want to thank the head-fi community for being here to even ask this question. You are passionate about what you do and seem to enjoy bringing other into a world of better sound. Case in point: fresh off the reviews here I bought my wife the ATH-50M for $100 at B&H tax free for use unamped on a laptop. Now I need help for my issue!

I've reviewed NamelessPFG and Mad Lust Envy guides for gaming which were very helpful, but being a noob, I'm still a bit lost.

I want to go unamped and am not sure what type of sound card or software tech to invest in if it is even worth it with a headset under $100.

I have an Asus Mobo (P8Z68-V PRO) with 8 Channel DTS Audio Support and USB 3.0 so I'm not even sure how to can get for the best bang for my buck.

I've rocked a few entry level sets from Plantronic GameCons to Creative Soundblasters and Logitechs G series and right now I'm on a shoddy Turtlebeach earforce set,... Probably on par with the Plantronics but more comfortable.

In the end, I'm looking for an all around winner with good balance between entertainment(sound quality) and functionality (clarity + enemy location) for under $100. I can go a little higher if a big jump in performance is anticipated, but I didn't want to spend the $150 (if you find them on sale) on the Sony MDR-MA900.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 14
First off this is my first post and so I want to thank the Head-fi community for being here to even ask this question. You are passionate about what you do and seem to enjoy bringing other into a world of better sound. Case in point: fresh off the reviews here I bought my wife the ATH-50M for $100 at B&H tax free for use unamped on a laptop. Now I need help for my issue!
I've reviewed NamelessPFG and Mad Lust Envy guides for gaming which were very helpful, but being a noob, I'm still a bit lost.
I want to go unamped and am not sure what type of sound card or software tech to invest in if it is even worth it with a headset under $100.
I have an Asus Mobo (P8Z68-V PRO) with 8 Channel DTS Audio Support and USB 3.0 so I'm not even sure how to can get for the best bang for my buck.
I've rocked a few entry level sets from Plantronic GameCons to Creative Sound Blasters and Logitechs G series and right now I'm on a shoddy Turtlebeach Earforce set,... Probably on par with the Plantronics but more comfortable.
In the end, I'm looking for an all around winner with good balance between entertainment(sound quality) and functionality (clarity + enemy location) for under $100. I can go a little higher if a big jump in performance is anticipated, but I didn't want to spend the $150 (if you find them on sale) on the Sony MDR-MA900.

Any help is appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Gemini HSR-1000 9Takstar Pro 80) headphones, $56.
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Thank you for the reply, PurpleAngel. I've seen this recomendation somewhere before,... :wink:

Follow-up questions:

Takstar Monitor Hi-fi Headphone HI 2050 is around the same pricepoint on Amazon, but I can't find a comparison. Any thoughts?

Also, would I be better off simply going with a more expensive headset for PC exclusive use or is the sound card necessary? Does my Asus MOBO not have as good of sound?

Thank you!

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 14
For anyone following I got my answer on the sound card. My mobo uses the realtek codec discussed here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306650-30-asus-xonar-realtek-alc892

Sound card is apparently a no brainer.

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 14
For anyone following I found the answer to my mobo question here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306650-30-asus-xonar-realtek-alc892

Apparently sound cards are no brainer.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you for the reply, PurpleAngel. I've seen this recomendation somewhere before,...
wink.gif

Follow-up questions:
Takstar Monitor Hi-fi Headphone HI 2050 is around the same price point on Amazon, but I can't find a comparison. Any thoughts?
Also, would I be better off simply going with a more expensive headset for PC exclusive use or is the sound card necessary? Does my Asus MOBO not have as good of sound?

The HSR-1000/Pro 80 sounds a little better the the Hi2050.
But the Hi2050 might be preferred if your big on surround sound gaming.
I'm also of the opinion that open headphones are less fatigueing on the ear.
So if you wear headphones for hours on end, open might be preferred.

The Asus Xonar DX comes with the CS4398 DAC chip, which should provide better audio quality, then on-board audio.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks. I'm not sure which I'd like better. I'm definately using them for 3+ hours of gaming a night and I do like how my open Turtle Beach X11's don't fatigue my ear,... Hard to call, but I'm probably going for the Gemini HSR1000s just cause the price.

This makes me wonder what audio solution I can come up with for my wife <------ Super Sensitive Ears

She's all about computer music, but most of her content is youtube quality music. I got her the ATH-M50's cause I thought they were a great all around set and at $100, a good alternative to dropping $300 on a 2013 version of Beats Studios (#trending).

Being that most of her content is online videos, Should I bother with a Sound Card solution for her? If so, express card slot or usb? She doesn't sit at a desk, but lays or sits on the couch with her Asus G75 on a laptop cushion. Any recommendations?

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks. I'm not sure which I'd like better. I'm definately using them for 3+ hours of gaming a night and I do like how my open Turtle Beach X11's don't fatigue my ear,... Hard to call, but I'm probably going for the Gemini HSR1000s just cause the price.

This makes me wonder what audio solution I can come up with for my wife <
Super Sensitive Ears

She's all about computer music, but most of her content is youtube quality music. I got her the ATH-M50's cause I thought they were a great all around set and at $100, a good alternative to dropping $300 on a 2013 version of Beats Studios (#trending).

Being that most of her content is online videos, Should I bother with a Sound Card solution for her? If so, express card slot or usb? She doesn't sit at a desk, but lays or sits on the couch with her Asus G75 on a laptop cushion. Any recommendations?

FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp, $75, but it may not make a big difference.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 14
What about express card slot solutions from Creative?

I did see this and was curious:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0950-ExpressCard-Blaster-Notebook/dp/B001BS3A3E/ref=pd_cp_e_0

If not I think I'll just test hers with my Asus Xonar DG and see if they make a big difference compared with her onboard by Asus,...

Only other option is an inline usb doggle type as there is no space the FiiO E10 with how she uses her laptop.

Thoughts?

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 14
Follow-up:

So I've had the Gemini HSR1000s and the Asus Xonar DG for a couple of weeks now and I have to say that while this was a budget run, I'm disappointed with how far my dollar took me. I've provided a beginner's review as follows:

HSR1000

Build [7/10]
Materials seem to be a descent marriage between plastic and metal. The pleather is nice though some uneven stitching on one of the pads shows annoys my OCD. The coiled cable and plug seem well made though uneven bunching of the coils makes me think they could get twisted over time.

Comfort [6/10]
The headset is comfortable for up to about 2-3 hours before becoming increasingly annoying due to the clamp. I find myself readjusting them every 15-20 minutes or so after that. The band on the top feels narrower than it looks due to the rounded padding inside which also decreases the comfort IMO. No heating issues or ear sweet push the headset to a 6/10.

Sound Quality [5/10]
They seem very sound neutral with fair quality in their closed environment, but they also seem to be missing some texture. Coupled with their small forward yet unrefined soundstage, I'd give them a 5/10 (neutral sound, small soundstage, lack of texture). For comparison purposes I'd give wife's ATH-M50s which IMO have a nice sound texture, med-small soundstage, a bit of warmth and some sparkle a 7/10.

Overall Score [6/10]
Value Score [8/10]

Asus Xonar DG
Out of the box some of the capacitors seemed loose if not bent. Still, it initially seemed like a good deal and drove both my HSR1000s and my wife's ATH-M50s nicely as well as provided smooth software functionality and clear menu options. Was not impressed with Dolby Headphone or the 7.1 virtual surround, but the headphones I'm using have small sound stages so maybe I would have had a different experience with a different set of cans.

Various buggy issues cropped up later to include random feedback which self resolved by the next day. I also tried some Foobar plugins and settings found on head-fi to maximize the Dolby Headphone experience, but their was intermittent lag as if it was too much for the Xonar DG to process. Another issue is that sometimes when I change settings in it's Audio Control Panel, they do not immediately take effect. The majority of times they do, but sometimes they don't. Like the card is too busy or something.

In the end, with no reference above my onboard Asus MOBO, I can only recommend this product to someone whose onboard sound died or that really couldn't afford to spend more than $30 on a card. Otherwise, in the year 2014, I would seriously pass.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I believe it was a mistake for me to try to enter the audiophile world and not be prepared to spend over $200 for my headset + DAC/amp entry. This may not be the same for everyone, but the general consensus appears to be "buy big now and save in the long run". Sure people can help you find the best cans and DAC/amp for under $100, but I doubt that will bring the passion shown here on these forums alive in your ears. Additionally, IMHO the ATH-M50s are a nice low impedance headset and they are great for my wife's laptop, but for I would push to a $150-$200 set for home or desktop computer audio as they are more of a tease than an end goal.

2nd try will be the SoundBlaster Z paired with the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro-250ohms

Thoughts?

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 14
So I just figured out that my onboard Realtek 892ACL had Absolute Pitch 192khz/24bit True BD Lossless Sound.

No wonder I wasn't impressed with the Xonar DG downgrade of 96KHz/24bit even though the amp did make a noticeable difference,...

I'm going to give the HSR1000s a fair shake with my Creative SBZ when it arrives.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 14
So the SBZ, while cleaner, did not improve upon the Gemini HSR-1000s very much at all. I would still give them a 5/10 for sound. Maybe if I was being generous they'd get a 5.25/10, but that just seems like a little too much charity when I give the ATH-M50 a 7/10 and free ear-buds as 1/10. So 5 doesn't mean they are bad,... just mediocre.

Short review of the Creative SBZ - Beyer DT-990 PRO 250 setup:

DT-990 Pro 250
Build 7.5/10 (Sturdy where is counts but plastic, mostly modular, non removable cord, not premium)
Comfort 9/10 (Plush, open, roomy ear cups, nice clamp, lightweight)
Sound 8/10 (With EQ until I adjust to treble, theatrical sound signature, large soundstage, great bass response, very defined sound, treble texture is insane, sound leaks like an alarm clock radio)

SBZ
Build 9.75/10 (Solid -heavy in the hand in a good way, EMI shield, gold connectors, surprise red glowy light)
Software 7/10 (Crystalizer works well at least with the DT-990s, Surround + Crystalizer may muddle the soundstage - still testing, Bass Boost includes frequency adjustment, EQ, no Ohm setting)
Headphone Amp ?/10 - Drives the DT-990 Pro 250 very well. Volume hovers around 50% max. Potential to drive 600 ohm headphones.

Final thoughts:
Even with the very positive review and my overall joy with this setup, I would say this is the cheapest amount of money I would expect to pay for audiophile gaming and be happy. I almost had to return these due to the sound leakage, but I'll just keep the volume down when necessary.

Special thanks to Purple Angel not only for his posts in this thread, but also for the many in other like threads that helped me research and figure out my audio goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back