Best Bang-For-Buck replacement Earpads
May 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sandwich

Head-Fier
So i have a set of HD-205s and the earpads are shredding up. I love the passive noise cancelling on this set of phones... sound I'd take a pass on. Regardless, I wanna keep using them.

I want to convert it to circumaural so it doesn't hurt my ears as much, but I'm open to anything comfy. Making an adapter plate should be easy enough for any pad. What is the best value earpad out there?

I've found these so far, does anyone have detailed pics of how they mount?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614417-REG/Beyerdynamic_904783_EDT_770S_Soft_Ear.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614415-REG/Beyerdynamic_904791_EDT_990S_Soft_Ear.html

thanks in advance.

edit: Anyone know where i can get those Beyer Brown Leather Earpads and how much they cost?

edit2:
found these too http://www.headphonesolutions.com/begelearse.html is this seller any good?

May 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 11
I've bought both the DT250 pads and the DT770 ones. Personally, I think that the round ones look nicer, but I've had nothing more comfortable than my Sony MDR-V6 with the DT250 pads.

The cool thing is that they also come with adapter plates. Apparently, the DT2x0 series uses a snap-on plate to mount the earpad. The inside diameter is about 2.25 inches which is just shy of 60mm.

I don't remember how big my 205's were, but that might save you some work.

ooh: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/

May 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 11
I wonder how these will affect the sound. The sound is pretty bad already. I have a MDR V6 sitting around somewhere, I should compared the ear pad, I may just be able to slip the pads over the senn's adapter plates.

May 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Uhm, can you tell me why you could possibly need to use a pair of the HD205's when you have a V6 around? Sure, the 205's are really laid back and easy to listen to, but so are a bajillion other cheap phones. I trust you at least use those V6's?

May 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 11
I bought them for me mum. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 they are the best headphones she's ever had and she's used to utter crap. So I would never try to pry them away from her. She doesn't use them THAT much so I say "sitting around" and "somewhere" 'cause I dun live with her.

I'll buy another pair of those when the HD205 finally dies. Since I took the time to break in the headband and get it nice and sealed, I'm interested in some modding. I just compared the V6's pads to the HD205 pads... the v6's are ginormous compared to them.
So what I plan to do:
-Make an adapter plate to fit the DT250 pads on it
-Some form of the kramer's mod, something to make it less muddy
-Paint job to make it nicer looking

Worse comes to worst:
-I have a set of ksc75's house in a koss td61 that sounds pretty good and seals okay
-buy another MDR-V6 or 7506 and put the dt250 pads on it
WIN-WIN right? 
beerchug.gif

ordered some DT250 replacement earpads!

May 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Measure the diameter of the frontplates on the 205's. If you look at the link I posted to Sweetwater's listing, they come with plates. The inside opening on those plates is 2.25" in diameter, so if that's smaller than the 205's pads, then you're good to go already.

The V6's are definitely better than the 205's, but the sound signature is really different. You might not like them, coming from the 205.

May 29, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 11
thanks for the advice i think they are different. the plates that the v6 uses are vastly different than the 205's plates.

I like the V6s and I don't really like the 205s (just the passive NC and the tilting earcup). I either like it super bright, super thumpy, or right smack in the middle as a monitor. I basically switch headphones based on the mood I'm in and what my goal is.

May 31, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Psst, I'm not sure if you and I mean the same thing by "adapter plate". What I imagine you were talking about, is a plate to be secured to the 205's baffle, that would create a sealed extension that a new pad might be affixed to.

And, yeah, the thing I like about the V6 is that it's actually really bright, while still having great bass. So, while you don't feel like your headphones are suffocating you, as with the 205's bass, you still a much better bass experience, imo, than with the 205's.

May 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 11
are you talking about the foam disk? i think I can still use the original if i change it out, Otherwise the replacements come with their own.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 11
so the beyer pads have come in, it looks like some modding is necessary to get these babies on. Also seems like mum doesn't want velour pads on her V6.

i tried out the pads on the 205s without the foam disks or mounting them at all. I just used the clamping force of the phones to keep the pads on. A lot more comfortable and sounds better for sure.
So I'm gonna cut some adapter plates out of plastic (probably an old DVD case) and rig em up some how. I might create a new thread as a "how-to".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back