Best bang for buck open backed headphones
Feb 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TheHarizAzahar

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, I've recently been looking for an open backed design headphones. And I'm hoping someone could recommend me something under $150. I'm gonna be running it through an E11 amp. I listen to a variety of music but mainy indie like Alt-J, the xx and also some acoustic. I'm not really looking for a bassy headphones but a clear sounding headphones. Right now I'm enjoying the sound from my Se-215 which shines in the mids. So far in my research, I've found that DT990 to be a top contender. Please do recommend me something else if there is one that comes to your mind. I'd also prefer to keep the price closer to $100 as budget is quite limited. Thank you in advance! :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 24
  Hello guys, I've recently been looking for an open backed design headphones. And I'm hoping someone could recommend me something under $150. I'm gonna be running it through an E11 amp. I listen to a variety of music but mainy indie like Alt-J, the xx and also some acoustic. I'm not really looking for a bassy headphones but a clear sounding headphones. Right now I'm enjoying the sound from my Se-215 which shines in the mids. So far in my research, I've found that DT990 to be a top contender. Please do recommend me something else if there is one that comes to your mind. I'd also prefer to keep the price closer to $100 as budget is quite limited. Thank you in advance! :)

The DT 990 has recessed mids.

Except for Grados and the semi-open K 240 Studio, there are few quality open cans in that price range.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 24

The DT 990 has recessed mids.

Except for Grados and the semi-open K 240 Studio, there are few quality open cans in that price range.

Which Grados would you recommend? I prefer it to be over ear though. Comparing the K240 and the Grados, which would you prefer?

With regard to the Grado family within your price range, I have only heard the SR 60e and 80e.  I have not heard the SR-125e or Alessandro MS-1e.  Based on that, the SR 60e, which is more balanced than the 60i, is a great value.

Between the Grados and K240, your choice is likely to depend on what sound signature you prefer and/or your musical genres.  The Grados are easy to drive from almost anything.  The K240 is iffy from many low power sources when unamped.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 24
Sennheiser HD580 is the best bang for your buck that I can imagine. It's out of production so you'd have to buy one 2nd hand, but for $100 you should be able to get one in excellent condition. [EDIT: I guess prices in Europe are much lower at the moment] With this headphone you get nice, warm mids and clear highs.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 24
  Sennheiser HD580 is the best bang for your buck that I can imagine. It's out of production so you'd have to buy one 2nd hand, but for $100 you should be able to get one in excellent condition. With this headphone you get nice, warm mids and clear highs.

I have never seen the HD 580 for sale for anywhere near $100. (I used to own the HD 590.) If you can link me to the lowest prices you currently see, I'd appreciate it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 24

With regard to the Grado family within your price range, I have only heard the SR 60e and 80e.  I have not heard the SR-125e or Alessandro MS-1e.  Based on that, the SR 60e, which is more balanced than the 60i, is a great value.

Between the Grados and K240, your choice is likely to depend on what sound signature you prefer and/or your musical genres.  The Grados are easy to drive from almost anything.  The K240 is iffy from many low power sources when unamped.

The Grados are an on ear design, right? I've never really been a fan of on ears are they make my ears hurt for long sessions. The K240 MKII apparently has better pads than the K240. I'm guessing my E11 will be able to run the K240 just fine.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 24
  The Grados are an on ear design, right? I've never really been a fan of on ears are they make my ears hurt for long sessions. The K240 MKII apparently has better pads than the K240. I'm guessing my E11 will be able to run the K240 just fine.

Not that I'm endorsing it or anything, but if comfort is important to you, the SHP9500 is easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 24

Not that I'm endorsing it or anything, but if comfort is important to you, the SHP9500 is easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

Well comfort isn't really a top priority. Sound quality is of course the most important to me. I was comparing the comfort between the Grados and Akg. I haven't really done much research on the Philips but I'm on it right now. It's available for about 52 pounds on Amazon right now.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 24
  Well comfort isn't really a top priority. Sound quality is of course the most important to me. I was comparing the comfort between the Grados and Akg. I haven't really done much research on the Philips but I'm on it right now. It's available for about 52 pounds on Amazon right now.

It lacks heavy bass (which can be good from an audiophile standpoint, but I still find it lacking in that area) and there are some treble peaks, but aside from that, it's far superior to the handful of other headphones I've heard in its class. It can also be modified.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 24
  Sennheiser HD580 is the best bang for your buck that I can imagine. It's out of production so you'd have to buy one 2nd hand, but for $100 you should be able to get one in excellent condition. With this headphone you get nice, warm mids and clear highs.

You'll be lucky to get a decent used one for twice that amount.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 24

Well...if you'll consider 'Used - Like New' from Amazon Warehouse you can get an AKG Q701 for $140 to $150, I paid $139 for mine and they were truly 'Like New'. In fact, I question if they were used at all. Great value at this price.

Another, option is the HD5X8 series. You can get:
598's for $100 (used) to $150 (new - http://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2)
558's currently new for $118 (http://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A). These have been <$90 recently. Good all-rounder; very comfortable.
518's for $79 (http://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8)

I keep thinking about getting Yamaha HPH200's based on a few reviews. Been as low as $67 (last June)...almost pulled the trigger and regret not doing it as they've hovered around $150 for a while now. When they dip back down, I'll get them.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-hph-200-headphone-black
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640370/yamaha-hph-200-pictures-and-review-updated

If you're really looking to save, you could look at:
Superlux HD 681 EVO's (http://smile.amazon.com/Superlux-HD681EVO-B-HD-681-Black/dp/B00CAG1ZAQ)
Takstar HI2050 (http://www.mp4nation.net/takstar-hi2050-hifi-monitor-headphones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back