Best bang for buck DAC @ $500? PS Audio Digital Link III v. Stello DA100 v. NFB-2/3?
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
I started this out only looking at the Audio-GD offerings but these used old models come in around the same price range.

There are several PS Audio DL III's and Stello DA100s floating around on Audiogon right now.

Anyone have any input on these old DACs?  

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Man you're an Audio-GD fanboy. 
biggrin.gif
 The Stello DAC is a fantastic dac in my opinion and I would jump on it. Other dacs of note are VDac with the PSU, Cambridge audio, Nuforce HDP, Little Dot Dac_1, Matrix Mini(both balanced) which gives you the flexibility of going balanced somewhere down the line.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 16
If you want a dynamic, smooth, detailed and airy DAC that's a bit bright sounding, go for an Atoll DAC 100.

Edit: oops for got I got mine cheaper then normal, as it is a demo model, so it might be out of your budget.

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Man you're an Audio-GD fanboy. 
biggrin.gif
 The Stello DAC is a fantastic dac in my opinion and I would jump on it. Other dacs of note are VDac with the PSU, Cambridge audio, Nuforce HDP, Little Dot Dac_1, Matrix Mini(both balanced) which gives you the flexibility of going balanced somewhere down the line.

Can't hurt to try the Stello.  It's now between the Stello and the NFB-3/2.

The NFB-3/2 should be dead neutral.  It supports 96khz/24-bit USB audio unlike the Stello.  I'm familiar with this house sound and have no complaints.  Again, I like the fact that it's neutral.  I suspect neutral source > tube amp > K701s is a good way to put the system together.

As for the others, I don't want amp/DAC combos or ones that have features I don't need (balanced DACs).

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Just note that if you're using USB you can't use the 24/96 feature. Another dac that came to mind is the HRT Music Streamer II+ as a pure dac. I had the non plus version as my first dac and it was phenomenal. It features the asynchronous USB mode so it natively supports 24/96.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Just note that if you're using USB you can't use the 24/96 feature. Another dac that came to mind is the HRT Music Streamer II+ as a pure dac. I had the non plus version as my first dac and it was phenomenal. It features the asynchronous USB mode so it natively supports 24/96.

For which DAC?  The NFB-3/2 supports USB 24/96.  The Stello doesn't.  

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Come on guys, input.  I know some of you experienced head-fi'ers are familiar with the PS DL III & Stellos.

PS Audio Digital Link III  v.  Stello DA100  v.  NFB-2/3

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 16
Last update: So I've settled on the NFB-2.  From all reports the stock PS DL III and Stello DA100 are just about identical in sound signature and performance.  I was able to hunt down someone who has owned both the Stello DA100 and the NFB-2 (along with Lavry D10, MDHT Havana, AGD Ref. 7) and he recommended the NFB-2 between the two.  No way to choose S/PDIF modules when ordering from Pacific Valve though so I'll just have to call it in later.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Nice. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. By the way have you read anything about the NFB-1WM? I was considering it as a future DAC but can't seem to find anything on it. 

No, I haven't.  From the looks of it though it seems to have a good amount more power (in comparison to the NFB-2), so I'm guessing the usuals apply, blacker background and more extension.  I think you'll get a good idea of what the NFB-1WM will sound like by taking a listen to my NFB-2.  Hopefully it'll arrive by the time the meet rolls around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back