Best Band Or Artist By Decade
Aug 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #34 of 39
60s-I love Revolver Beatles but I'll hand it to Miles' 2nd great quintet.

70s-King F'in Crimson - KFC for short!
Love 73 -74 trio of Bruford, Wetton and Fripp. Beast of improv math rock.

80s-(cheaper bad drugs and keyboards, reverb gated snares and Phil Collins). Nope.

90s-Radiohead. They took guitar tines and ran as far as they could.

00s- see 80s.remove talent from most artists.throw in a good measure of failed puberty. Auto-tune.(I did enjoy the subgenres of metal)

10s- sigh.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 39
40’s – Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Charlie Parker
50’s – Count Bassie, Frank Sinatra, Elivs, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck
60’s - Miles Davis, The Doors, Jethro Tull, MC5, Pink Floyd, The Who, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Cash
70’s – Return to Forever, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Yes, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Cash …
80’s – Depeche Mode, Roxy Music, Prince, Police, REM, Blondie, The Clash, U2, Talking Heads…
90’s – KMFDM, Beck, Tool, Prince, Radiohead, Greenday, Stone Temple Pilots, U2, Garth Brooks, Cowboy junkies…
2000’s – Tool, Greenday, Muse, The White Stripes, Radiohead, Tartanic, U2, Cowboy Junkies, TV on the Radio, Metric….

May 31, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #37 of 39
Being the compulsive numbers cruncher that I am, I thought I would compile a list of all the nominated Best Band or Artists by Decade.
This way there will be a fast and easy way to see which bands or artists were nominated and how many times. Any band or artist that was nominated more then once will have the total number of nominations next to their name.
I apologize for any spelling errors or phony names listed that I did not recognize. I do enjoy quite a bit of current music, but there is still a lot I have never heard of and if some one posted a phony name in jest I may not have caught it.
I hope people find this list useful.
Good listening everyone!

NOMINATIONS FOR BEST BAND OR ARTIST BY DECADE

1930'S - Really? That was before even my time.
wink.gif

1940's - Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Charlie Parker, Sinatra, Woodie Gutherie, Hank Williams

1950's - Elvis (6), Chuck Berry(3), Count Bassie, Frank Sinatra, Buddy Holly, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Jerry Lee Lewis, Charles Mingus

1960's - Beatles(10), The Doors(3), Jimi Hendrix(2), The Band, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Jethro Tull, MC5, Pink Floyd, The Who, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Cash, Velvet Underground, The Byrds

1970's - Pink Floyd(6), Led Zeppelin(5), Black Sabbath(2), Queen, Van Der Graaf Generator, The Eagles, Ramones, Steely Dan, Rolling Stones, King Crimson, Return to Forever, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Yes, Roxy Music, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, David Bowie

1980's - Rush(2), Depeche Mode, Roxy Music, Prince(2), Police, REM(2), Blondie, The Clash, U2, Talking Heads, Madonna, New Order, Megadeth, Peter Hammill, U2, Iron Maiden(2), Dire Straits(3), Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi(2), Aerosmith, Crass, Metallica, Michael Jackson, Replacements, Springsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Police, The Smiths, The Pixies

1990's - Radiohead (4), Beck(2), Tool(2), Jeff Buckley, KMFDM, Prince, Greenday, Stone Temple Pilots, U2, Garth Brooks, Cowboy junkies, Alice in Chains(2), Blur, Pearl Jam, Spook's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Biggie Smalls, Nirvana, Nobuo Uematsu, REM, NR6, Yo La Tengo

2000's - Tool(3), Greenday, Muse(3), The White Stripes(2), Radiohead(3), Cowboy Junkies, TV on the Radio, Metric, Kayo Dot, Choirs Of The Eye,  Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Interpol, Boris,Kanye West,  Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Gorillaz, Queens of the Stone Age

2010's - Chvrches, Foo Fighters, Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Vampire Weekend, The Black Dahlia Murder, Moon Safari, The National

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #38 of 39
Oh Eternity ! One must really love these types of inquiries. On a more serious note, quite odd that nobody claimed Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Gentle Giant. To me at least, the likes of KC, Zappa, MO, Miles Davis and to a lesser degree Weather Report, exerted their constant influence across decades (Miles, KC, Zappa - My Holy Productive Trinity, if you like).

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #39 of 39
  Oh Eternity ! One must really love these types of inquiries. On a more serious note, quite odd that nobody claimed Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Gentle Giant. To me at least, the likes of KC, Zappa, MO, Miles Davis and to a lesser degree Weather Report, exerted their constant influence across decades (Miles, KC, Zappa - My Holy Productive Trinity, if you like).

I could not agree more. The lasting and far reaching influence all three of them had on musical style is undeniable and amazing. 
Just think what talent musicians played with them and then went on to do great music on their own. There is nothing like that happening today. Prince was doing the same sort of thing but not with the same degree of success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back