Best Balanced Amp/DAC under $350
Nov 7, 2014 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SoAmusing777

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll be hooking this to my laptop which only has USB available. Totally down to buy used. As far as I understand balanced is only offered using xlr and 1/4 inch TRS right? In any case I'd prefer the amp/DAC in one piece. I really prefer a neutral sound as well. My upcoming presonus T10 and jbl lsr 305's have their own amps and have 1/4" TRS and xlr, but my headphones of course need amping. Any suggestions?

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 21
I'll be hooking this to my laptop which only has USB available. Totally down to buy used. As far as I understand balanced is only offered using xlr and 1/4 inch TRS right? In any case I'd prefer the amp/DAC in one piece. I really prefer a neutral sound as well. My upcoming presonus T10 and jbl lsr 305's have their own amps and have 1/4" TRS and xlr, but my headphones of course need amping. Any suggestions?

FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp, $75.
Comes with an amplifier headphone jack and a separate line-output jack
You can run an unbalanced connection from the E10K's 3.5mm stereo line-output to the unbalanced input on your 2.1 speaker setup.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 21
FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp, $75.
Comes with an amplifier headphone jack and a separate line-output jack
You can run an unbalanced connection from the E10K's 3.5mm stereo line-output to the unbalanced input on your 2.1 speaker setup.
I specifically said I wanted balanced though.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 21
I specifically said I wanted balanced though.

You talked about balanced and asked questions about balanced.
but did not specify you "wanted" balanced.

Anyway, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 seems to come up a lot for a lower costing audio interface with balanced input.output.
http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 21
Nov 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 21
is that an amp or DAC?

With you budget you may not be able to find much

how ever, I got a iBasso DB1 PB1 set for about $200, which was balanced and ran from USB

I think the DB/PB 1 is going to be your best bet at that price point. Unless you want to spend $350 on each individual unit 

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 21
Is that an amp or DAC?

I guess the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is more like a DAC (that also comes with an amplified headphone output).
I believe something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is normally referred to as a " USB Audio Interface" for the type of function it provides.
So it deals with balanced line signals and provides a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) function and other features.
Guess you could say it's a Swiss army knife of DACs.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 21

I guess the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is more like a DAC (that also comes with an amplified headphone output).
I believe something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is normally referred to as a " USB Audio Interface" for the type of function it provides.
So it deals with balanced line signals and provides a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) function and other features.
Guess you could say it's a Swiss army knife of DACs.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

hmm neato, it sounds like my Beringher UAC 202 but... upgraded! [an balanced] 

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 21
  With you budget you may not be able to find much

how ever, I got a iBasso DB1 PB1 set for about $200, which was balanced and ran from USB

I think the DB/PB 1 is going to be your best bet at that price point. Unless you want to spend $350 on each individual unit 

Dunno why I overlooked this comment. The upcoming Geek Out V2 is balanced as well.

May 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 21
Any ideas still?

May 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 21
  I guess the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is more like a DAC (that also comes with an amplified headphone output). I believe something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is normally referred to as a " USB Audio Interface" for the type of function it provides. So it deals with balanced line signals and provides a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) function and other features. Guess you could say it's a Swiss army knife of DACs. http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

I do believe that sort of device is more geared for audio recording and its headphone amplifier is not as nice as a dedicated headphone dac/amp. I have the Steinburg UR22 usb audio interface for that sort of application as well as dedicated headphone amplifiers.

some of the cheaper balanced dac/amp options (dedicated for headphones) that I can aware:

1. the the emotiva xda gen 2 ($299) & emotiva stealth dc-1 (hits a $450-$500 sales price point sometimes) but for both items, their headphone output is single-ended, so single-ended amplifier with balanced dac.
  2. matrix mini-i pro balanced dac with single-ended amplifier from $450-$520.
  3. audio-gd amp/dac combos w/ balanced outputs only: NFB-10.33 with WM9741 dac chip at $580 & NFB-28 with the Sabre ES9018 dac chip at $750.
  4. Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus ($499) with balanced dac (WM8740) and single-ended amplifier
  5. There was a recent pono sale at $250 which is a DAP with a balanced output (using x2 3.5mm minijacks). Not sure if that sale is still ongoing.
  6. The best priced balanced dac/amplifier all-in one unit with both single-ended and balanced outputs that I am aware of is the Oppo HA-1 which is $1,199. I am not really aware of any other more competitively priced combination units (except perhaps other offerings from audio-gd).

I think it will be hard to find a balanced amp/dac under $350 as it is already hard to find a dedicated balanced dac under $600.

Do note there is a bit of debate whether having balanced really makes a sonic difference. There are people that think that it's really just that the balanced output of amplifiers with both balanced and single-ended outputs have more power, but if you compare a well-designed 'audio-transparent' single-ended amplifier against a transparent balanced amplifier that both have enough power to drive your headphones with extra 'headroom,' the differences may be minimal. ymmv. also note that balanced cables will add significant cost to your set-up as well.

May 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 21

I do believe that sort of device is more geared for audio recording and its headphone amplifier is not as nice as a dedicated headphone dac/amp. I have the Steinburg UR22 usb audio interface for that sort of application as well as dedicated headphone amplifiers.

some of the cheaper balanced dac/amp options (dedicated for headphones) that I can aware:

1. the the emotiva xda gen 2 ($299) & emotiva stealth dc-1 (hits a $450-$500 sales price point sometimes) but for both items, their headphone output is single-ended, so single-ended amplifier with balanced dac.
  2. matrix mini-i pro balanced dac with single-ended amplifier from $450-$520.
  3. audio-gd amp/dac combos w/ balanced outputs only: NFB-10.33 with WM9741 dac chip at $580 & NFB-28 with the Sabre ES9018 dac chip at $750.
  4. There was a recent pono sale at $250 which is a DAP with a balanced output (using x2 3.5mm minijacks). Not sure if that sale is still ongoing.
  5. The best priced balanced dac/amplifier all-in one unit with both single-ended and balanced outputs that I am aware of is the Oppo HA-1 which is $1,199. I am not really aware of any other more competitively priced combination units (except perhaps other offerings from audio-gd).

I think it will be hard to find a balanced amp/dac under $350 as it is already hard to find a dedicated balanced dac under $600.

Do note there is a bit of debate whether having balanced really makes a sonic difference. There are people that think that it's really just that the balanced output of amplifiers with both balanced and single-ended outputs have more power, but if you compare a well-designed 'audio-transparent' single-ended amplifier against a transparent balanced amplifier that both have enough power to drive your headphones with extra 'headroom,' the differences may be minimal. ymmv. also note that balanced cables will add significant cost to your set-up as well.

Yeah, I've thought about the difference between unbalanced and balanced. 

Now, are there any options that have a battery? I know of ALO the island.

May 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 21
  Yeah, I've thought about the difference between unbalanced and balanced. Now, are there any options that have a battery? I know of ALO the island.

sorry, I am not too familiar on the portable options on the market as I don't really need a balanced portable. hope you find what you are looking for & let us know what you decide! :)

May 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 21
  sorry, I am not too familiar on the portable options on the market as I don't really need a balanced portable. hope you find what you are looking for & let us know what you decide! :)

I'm confused because all those you said were single ended inputs?

May 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 21
  I'm confused because all those you said were single ended inputs?

well, I'm assuming if you need a dac, you will be running an digital input (coax, optical, or usb).

all of those options have balanced dac outputs (two 3-pin xlr balanced). only the audio.gb and oppo ha-1 have a 4 pin XLR headphone output. the rest have single-ended headphone output.

edit: balanced amplifiers are generally add quite a bit to the cost. one solid stand-alone balanced amplifier option is the upcoming Liquid Carbon, but that runs at $600. not sure if there are many amplifiers with a balanced output that run under $400 even as a standalone component (matrix Quattro and Audio-gd NFB-6 and discontinued Little Dot MK VII+).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back