Best balance of sound isolation and sound quality?
Oct 12, 2008 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spasticteapot

100+ Head-Fier
I really like my new DT250s, but I'd honestly like something with better noise isolation - they let through a lot of the outside world. I'd get a pair of HD25s, but they're generally regarded as not as good - and I really prefer a circumnaural design.

Aside from the Series 9 Ultrasones (out of my budget), what would you recommend?

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 12
hfi-680 for $150 + S/H for perhaps more neutral bass
hfi 780 for $10 more

those cans i've heard isolate next best to hd25's and sound significantly better.

personally it depends on the environment and isolation equals sound quality in noisey environments.

so i use IEMs in public, my hd25's when in a house where people are a bit noisy. I recommend ER4 or IM716 for public, I actually prefer them to HD25's SQ wise but at home I have to take them on and off so they aren't ideal. with shure olives they are comfy though.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 12
Denon D2000 sounds great but I'm not sure how well they isolate. I listened to them in a quiet environment. Ultrasones just aren't my cup of tea. I even heard the Edition 9 and they had incredible detail and really brought out the nuances, but they didn't give the music life like my hd650 does.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 12
D2000's reported isolate barely better than open cans. They don't leak as much though.

Ultrasones are love it or hate it. Personally I've never tried but would like to. Reading one thread sounds like positioning of the cans on your head VASTLY affect how they sound.

wonder how much DT150s and DT48E's isolate.. they are supposed to sound amazing.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasones are love it or hate it.

Maybe it's time for some new love.
wink_face.gif

One of best isolation out there...

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my new DT250s, but I'd honestly like something with better noise isolation - they let through a lot of the outside world. I'd get a pair of HD25s, but they're generally regarded as not as good - and I really prefer a circumnaural design.

Aside from the Series 9 Ultrasones (out of my budget), what would you recommend?

well i think it depends where you'll be wearing them most & from what. if i was a daily train commuter i think i'd go IEMs. it's people on trains who complain the most as they think it's an extension of their living room.

on buses this varies, most times they're full of loud kids & people with crying toddlers. i prefer my HD25-1's in this situation, but that is with velour pads / OFC cable. they only leak slightly if i crank it up max. the stock pads isolate more.

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 12
Why don't you try the DT150? Isolates very good and sounds decent if you don't mind lots of bass.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 12
I highly recommend the Stax 4070.
o2smile.gif

Isolate outside noise very good, and don't leak much sound to the surrounding. It have great sound quality as well.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend the Stax 4070.
o2smile.gif

Isolate outside noise very good, and don't leak much sound to the surrounding. It have great sound quality as well.

And they're well within the reach of every millionaire on this forum!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back