Best audio setup ideas for a small bedroom and to consider others with sound and rumble leakage and for a small cost effective best bang for the bucks price.
Jan 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AngelJD

New Head-Fier
I'll probably post this in many forums to get ideas and maximize the help.

I currently own for audio setup and HT, movies, gaming, and music enjoyment:
Two chairs that can be placed in the room and fit in the limited space (own)
Topping T-30 (own)
Cambridge Audio S-30 front speakers (own)
A very good Desktop Computer for gaming/HTPC and music listening with optical and coaxial out and many 2.0 and 3.0 usb available (own)
HDTV 40' Samsung 3d 120hz (own)
The room is a small bedroom on the second floor and I want the best bang for the bucks audio setup yet at the same time I don't want to bother anybody outside of the room or to a near by (about 10 feet from a hallway) bedroom where people will sleep so I hope to minimize the sound leakage as possible.  I recently found "Bass Shakers" that work to help feel the bass thus giving a bass booming feel of power that movie theatres and strong High Quality Subwoofers can create yet not go beyond the room itself to bother others.  I hope to installed two shakers under the two chairs that myself and my roommate will use to sit and enjoy tv, gaming, movies and music on and the ability to control the rate of rumble and power should we like different settings for whatever the purpose.  Thus a high quality rich but low sounding bass subwoofer as to not leak out as much or rumble outside on the room paired with the shakers to give the best of both without bothering anybody else not inside the room.  Further very little space for a setup (I'm worried about finding the right subwoofer that will able able to fit inside the stuffed small room and where to put surround speakers (but not rear as I think I found a space saving option for that below) should I have the money and option to).

Option 1: 7.1/7.2 setup
#1 A receiver 7.1/7.2 with a zone 1 and 2 out for subwoofer and controlled and powered shakers idea
#2 2 Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker or other shakers such as Dayton Audio 8 or 16 ohms pair or a buttkicker kit (with two shakers for option of myself and roommate to enjoy) (planed to be installed on the bottom of the two chairs (one for each chair) in either parallel or series wiring with banana plugs (if possible) installed on the wires to easily and constantly remove and store the wires in a draw so they won't be left on the ground and be damaged or tripped over when not in use connected to the chairs)
#3 A subwoofer (unknown size and power and bottom or front shooter)
#4 Cambridge Audio S-30 front speakers (own)
#5 A center speaker from Cambridge Audio to match front speakers
#6 Current cheap no name that I can find HT package speakers my mother owns and doesn't use for side surround or Micca MB42 or Acoustic Research AR 215PS Speakers
#7 For rear speakers I can either find a way to place some small cheap rear speakers such as the the speakers for the side surround speakers idea above or buy Dayton Audio DAEX25 Pair of Sound Exciters and install on the two chairs back portions to serve as an cheap & out of the way and space saving rear speakers to the 7.1 setup plus also with have installed and banana plugs to the wiring (wherever I can to whatever allows it) for same reasons as the shakers.

Option 2: 5.1/5.2/3.1/3.2 setup
#1 A 5.1 or 7.1 or 5.2 or 7.2 receiver
#2 Current Front S-30 speakers
#3 Matching Center speaker from Cambridge Audio
#4 The Dayton Audio DAEX25 Pair of Sound Exciters install on the two chairs back portions to serve as the side surrounds (not certain how effective they might serve)
#5 The shakers installed on the bottom of the chairs.
(If I just go with a 3.1 and shakers idea then I'll still need a 5.1/5.2 or 7.1/7.2 receiver then and downgrade I believe)

Option 3:
2.1 or 2.0 (if a subwoofer can't be placed effectively) plus shakers (possibly no shakers then as well if no bass or cost effective Amp/power/control to be paired with). Plus slightly better Amp and Dac then my current Topping T-30 is providing with a hopeful high quality separate Dac of 24bit depth and 96 or 192 HZ.

Plus as an addition to the above options for individual use and not bother the roommate when he needs to sleep/study/work a High Quality closed over the ears headphones and paired with a good DAC (24 bit/ 94hz or 192hz) and Amp combo for the headphones with very little to no sound leakage.  Considering the ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro Kit, AKG K 701 or 702 headphones, FiiO E17, and the digital optical wiring and few accessories for such things.  First I hope to confirm a plan for above then save up money for the budget for the audio setup options above then for the headphones idea (I can just use my current Sony in ear headphones which I use for travelling in crowded areas such as the subway till then to not bother anybody).

I'm a newbie and while I read and looked into many things to come up with the plans above many things are beyond my grasp or need further explaining and help.  Such as I hope to have two shakers and a subwoofer yet while I read how to hook up two shakers using series and parallel wiring (which wiring would best suit my needs the most based on further questions and answers later) I read the shakers will need an amp and use of the sub out.  I currently own a Topping T-30 which doesn't have a sub out so I was looking into a powered subwoofer and want to know if there are powered subwoofers that not only give additional amps to my Cambrigde Audio S-30 speakers (I figure 30-40 watts max is fine for the front speakers as the 15 watts the topping T-30 provides for them is just about enough for them to be very load and enjoyable and not bother anybody outside the room) but also help power, properly and fully amp, and control the two shakers I would pick from the many shakers available.  This is under the idea of Option 3 with subwoofer to minimize the max cost as I currently don't own a receiver.  If I do buy a receiver (looking into the YAMAHA RX-V773WABL selling for $430 and other possible 7.2 receivers for the above options) which will be necessary for option 1 and 2 what recommendations do you all have and cost effective best bang for the bucks and idea setup?

In the end after everything is planed and bought how will the wiring to each part and settings go to get an idea of what to buy and how everything will work in the end?

Thank you in advance to everybody who will post and help with their own ideas and viewpoints.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 4
I'll probably post this in many forums to get ideas and maximize the help.

This is called "cross-posting" and is not a good idea. It is much better to find the right forum to ask the question, or to simplify your questions so that you can post the appropriate question in the appropriate forum.

For example, where in your TL;DR post is the question on headphones or headphone gear?

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 4
90% of your post deals with speakers and surround sound - this is a headphone forum.  You're probably not going to find much info on that sort of thing here.  I know we have some members here who can help with speaker setups, but most of us stick mainly to headphones.

To address your headphone question:

Plus as an addition to the above options for individual use and not bother the roommate when he needs to sleep/study/work a High Quality closed over the ears headphones and paired with a good DAC (24 bit/ 94hz or 192hz) and Amp combo for the headphones with very little to no sound leakage.  Considering the ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro Kit, AKG K 701 or 702 headphones, FiiO E17, and the digital optical wiring and few accessories for such things.  First I hope to confirm a plan for above then save up money for the budget for the audio setup options above then for the headphones idea (I can just use my current Sony in ear headphones which I use for travelling in crowded areas such as the subway till then to not bother anybody)

A: What is your budget (just for the headphone part)?  Can't do anything until we know that.

B: The Mixamp is an ok DAC, but not that good.  There's not much point getting it unless you need a USB DAC/amp that supports Dolby Headphone.  There are better options for the price unless you need that feature.  The E17 is better, but probably won't be any better than your Topping T-30 (which is a pretty decent DAC/amp, despite its lower USB standard - which won't make a difference unless you have files encoded higher than 16/48).

C: The K701/702 are open headphones with tons of sound leakage.  They don't fit your requirements at all - you'll want to look at closed headphones.

D: What do you plan on using this setup for?  Music?  Movies?  Gaming?  All of the above?  What kinds of music?  What's your preference in terms of sound signature?  These are all important things to know before we can recommend anything.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Sorry.  I posted the headphone question and the speaker questions here on this website just in case an audio headphone and speaker expert on both should read the topic and able to answer both.

To answer the above questions:

I'm looking at $150 however willing to put in $200 should the bump in high quality sound be found.  My main goal is for the headphones to have little to no sound leakage (thus over the ears or in the ears might be the best suited and of the two I believe over the ears might best serve that purpose and high quality variety of sounds due to a larger driver(s).  I plan to use them when watching blu-ray movies, tv shows on my computer, other videos, gaming on my computer, and music (which I mostly listen to broadway musicals, video game soundtracks, TV/Movie soundtracks, and some slight pop and rock music).  It's hard to say about sound signature as I know headphones affect the sunf for bass and soundstage thus like  large concert hall or a small club stage.  I love the Broadway theater thus I guess most likely something along that area and feelings.  I like the singers to be crystal clear and I do enjoy bass power but not to overwhelming to drown the other sounds and high and mids out but along the area where I feeling the power of the songs beating in my heart.

I looked into 5,1/7.1 headphones but found their quality based on reviews to be subpar.

I'm looking into the high quality DAC less for the music on my computer aspect (most come from CD's that I know has a range of 16 bit depth limits but I'm also considering the future where music might get a possible bump up and using the FLAC and other lossless files codings) but for those blu-ray and dvd movies that use the higher quality 24 bit codings and 5.1/7.1 sound.  Don't need 32 bit unless I become a recording artist or the media of the future uses 32 bit in movies and such but I think the max cap for a long time right (maybe within 20 years but I don't see in 10) now is going to be 24 bit 192 kHz.  I don't want to bottleneck the sounds and quality due to a lower end DAC for my headphones, and also computer and TV speakers if possible.  On another website they recommended the MixAmp however it was an old thread I read it from thus things could have changed in time.  I've read many recommendations about different DACs but I'll focus on the headphones here right now.

I've read many things and many people seem to have many options on headphones (not too surprising due to different personal tastes).

MTX Audio IX1 StreetAudio On Ear Acoustic Monitors, Black is going to be on sale from Newegg today only for a price I don't know yet and the few reviews mentioned that the sound quality was great but tight for large heads but I have a small/medium size head so that shouldn't be a problem.

Other headphones various people have recommended on other forums treads I read and reviews:
Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones (I don't trust the Bose name as I know they sell at a high price base on their name alone and thus usually overcharge plus this currently costs $300 and if it is recommended here I'll wait for a sale price of 200 or under first before buying)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable (heard some great things about this headphones.  I heard they are closed Headphones which is what I'm looking for and they are highly recommended and top quality thus a very possible winner here)

Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones and Sennheiser Classic Stereo Headphones (I owned a under $100 IEM Sennheiser for 4 years and loved them very much being one of the best IEM I've had thus I trust this company and recommendation due to history.

Grado Prestige Series SR80i Stereo Headphone
This I read is an "on the ears" vs over the ears headphones thus possible non winner but I still was recommended them and I want to see if people here in the know would give their input as to if it would suit my wants.

Audio Technica ATH-M50x Professional Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (don't know how different they are from the above ATH-M50)

Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones

Denon AH-D5000 Reference Headphones

Denon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

And the 701 and 702 and even the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones was recommended to me for their top quality but the open air I knew would work against what I was hoping for but still wanted to see how much open air sound it would put out.  If a person was sleeping would this wake them up from the open air sound it makes?

I still have much research to look into this topic and the headphones above and best prices and best places to shop for them but I'm not rushing as I don't need to buy immediately with exception of some super sale one time/day only event which I hope I will have the knowledge to know if it's a good deal and best or among the best headphones for my purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back