Best audio program to build a library from a 30 year collection...
Sep 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DiRtYMeATCuRTin

New Head-Fier
Hey, so i'm actually trying to build a working library from the terabytes of audio files that i have accumulated since the time of MIRC and Napster/Kazza, lol....so maybe not 30 years, but it sure feels like it! lol

really the whole thing is a mess, i tried music bee but it simply just chokes and forces me to rebuild the library and go back through and update all of the tags again.....and again and again....

i don't know if you guys remember how things were back then, but songs often had no tags, names misattributed and a whole slough of naming conventions that were screwed up...it really is pretty bad..

i also have the problem of where i carried some of this stuff across multiple drives and now i have 3x~5x copies of the same file floating around out there in different directories and such....

what's the best program out there, paid or not, that will automatically build a decent library from my audio files and give me something that i can work with....

like i said, I'm so beyond frustrated with musicbee, I've spent hours updating tags and renaming files within the program only to have to choke on me and forget everything that I've done and have to start a new library and start from scratch....after two and a half weeks with it I've given up.

i *really* want to get organized and i expect to dump alot of time and effort into getting everything streamlined and in order... but there's got to be a few programs out there that can help me with auto tagging and deleting duplicates without going tits up half way through or just forgetting next time i log on....like What, lol.

Thanks for the help guys/gals!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 11
That's the big reason I use Tidal. I've got stuff on a MacBook and also on a PC and too much of a chore to consolidate the collection for now. JRiver has a free trail so you could see if that might work for you I tried it on my Mac and it did find duplicates but I did not find a way to get rid of them but I didn't try real hard.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 11
That's the big reason I use Tidal. I've got stuff on a MacBook and also on a PC and too much of a chore to consolidate the collection for now. JRiver has a free trail so you could see if that might work for you I tried it on my Mac and it did find duplicates but I did not find a way to get rid of them but I didn't try real hard.

lol, goes to show you what i know, so tidal is an actual program and not just a service? like they aren't going to dump half my music collection due to it not being traceable through their ecosystem or the rest.... my info is so outdated... does itunes take non-itunes music now a days?

i was interested in tidal just due to the lossless format they offer, but if they'll take and orginize a few decades of files from who knows where sounds like a no brainier...

thanks for the lead buddy, i'll have a look into it and see what i come up with!

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 11
It is a service and I have found very little that is not available from what I have.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 11
I wonder if ROON would be a could option for you? It looks at all the files, compares them to a database, identifies duplicates, suggests "similar-too" music from Tidal. tidal is integrated into it.
I have used it to easily get rid of duplicates. They also have a trial available. Its a little expensive but you might be able to use the trial period to clean things up...???

Here's a screen shot of the "Focus" utility they use to filter the library.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 11
yeah, thanks for the heads up, I'm not looking to repurchase all my music for like the 6th time, I'd like to just work with i have now and just purchase the new stuff or higher quality stuff that i really want as i go along....

i'm also not into the whole $20 a month as a streaming service thing, seems a bit exorbitant, that's just me though, i'd rather buy a new album every month and own it forever than pay the money for a service and music that's only good to me as long as i keep shelling the money out....which kinda sucks because often time in life when things are the hardest i fall back on music to get me through, it'd suck to be broke and music-less because i invested in a service instead of an album.

That said, that's just my own personal outlook, i can understand why someone would pay the money for the service, i bet the exposure and curation is probably phenomenal and peoples expenses in life vary wildly.

so while i appreciate the time you took to respond i don't think tidal is exactly what i am looking to do right now, like i said i'm in the process of going back and sorting all of my music from top to bottom and once i get that sorted i can start adding new albums into the collection and when i do it will most likely be a lossless format or if convenient a physical copy.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11
I have been tempted but it is expensive like $500.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 11
I wonder if ROON would be a could option for you? It looks at all the files, compares them to a database, identifies duplicates, suggests "similar-too" music from Tidal. tidal is integrated into it.
I have used it to easily get rid of duplicates. They also have a trial available. Its a little expensive but you might be able to use the trial period to clean things up...???

Here's a screen shot of the "Focus" utility they use to filter the library.

huh, that just might be perfect, i'm still trying to figure how it works, do they remote in and process everything locally on the drive or is it uploaded to a server processed there and made available via a cloud? and if it's the latter would i be able to grab the whole library and it's file structre back from them?

lol, i mean at this point $100 for someone to clean up my entire music collection sounds like a decent deal, i just need to make sure it's actually mine otherwise it's just a waste.

really interesting program,that's a good suggestion, looks like you can run it on a VM as well which would be a pretty sweet set-up if it works as i imagine it does.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, ROON is expensive, I wa kinda thinking it might help to get rid of the duplicates during the "trial" period.
$500 is lifetime.

The program Catalogs your files locally but uses a service to identify the tracks. You set it up and point it at your files locally (map the drive/folder/NAS whatever) and it churns through it and identifies the albums tracks etc. Then you can modify from there and delete duplicates.
huh, that just might be perfect, i'm still trying to figure how it works, do they remote in and process everything locally on the drive or is it uploaded to a server processed there and made available via a cloud? and if it's the latter would i be able to grab the whole library and it's file structre back from them?

lol, i mean at this point $100 for someone to clean up my entire music collection sounds like a decent deal, i just need to make sure it's actually mine otherwise it's just a waste.

really interesting program,that's a good suggestion, looks like you can run it on a VM as well which would be a pretty sweet set-up if it works as i imagine it does.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Media Monkey is the best program I've found for large libraries, and you can buy a lifetime license. It isn't the most user friendly thing in the world but if you were in the mIRC "scene" then I think you could handle it.

It has a dupe check function and auto-tagging from amazon and other services like freeDB.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 11
yeah, thanks for the heads up, I'm not looking to repurchase all my music for like the 6th time, I'd like to just work with i have now and just purchase the new stuff or higher quality stuff that i really want as i go along....

i'm also not into the whole $20 a month as a streaming service thing, seems a bit exorbitant, that's just me though, i'd rather buy a new album every month and own it forever than pay the money for a service and music that's only good to me as long as i keep shelling the money out....which kinda sucks because often time in life when things are the hardest i fall back on music to get me through, it'd suck to be broke and music-less because i invested in a service instead of an album.

That said, that's just my own personal outlook, i can understand why someone would pay the money for the service, i bet the exposure and curation is probably phenomenal and peoples expenses in life vary wildly.

so while i appreciate the time you took to respond i don't think tidal is exactly what i am looking to do right now, like i said i'm in the process of going back and sorting all of my music from top to bottom and once i get that sorted i can start adding new albums into the collection and when i do it will most likely be a lossless format or if convenient a physical copy.
Not a problem you might have a look at JRiver then. $20 is for the HiFi version there is a cheaper version I like it as I get so many heads up on some artists I've never heard before and after three or so cd's if I bought them without hearing them and didn't like them then I'm in the good for the month. I just like the convenience of it being on my phone laptop and iPad to hear something new or old but that is me. I have a dap full of stuff along with several hundred cd's along with a few hundred vinyls but this is easy but still listen to the rest too. I'm just a bit lazy to get the rest on one place as Tidal sounds almost as good as my cd's. For the convenience and the new and older stuff I've never heard I don't think it is that bad of a price as I listen to it almost every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back