Best Artists/Bands of the 2000s (or later)
Nov 3, 2012 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently came to the realization that the vast majority of my CD collection consists of music by artists & bands from the 90s (or even the late 80s). Which is probably a sign of my age/generation.
tongue.gif

So how about a list of some of the best artists & bands that were formed in the 2000s or later? I'm looking to get out of the 90s and update my CD collection with some newer music! I'm interested in mostly electronica/trip-hop, metal, & rock, but I guess any other genres would be nice too.

Just to reiterate, I'm not looking for new music from old artists or bands (pre-2000), only post-2000. So a band like Radiohead won't qualify, for example.

I'll start with a few:

- Diablo Swing Orchestra (metal). I laughed the first time I heard this band. The fusion of metal with other genres was just wickedly awesomely cool stuff!

- OSI (metal). This band is also awesome, I like their proggy style.

- Sierra Hull (bluegrass). Ok I prefer Alison Krauss more (and would've preferred listing her instead if I could), but Sierra Hull is like the next AK!

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 15
The Black Keys - rock
The Lumineers - folk rock / Americana

Just two to start with...

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 15
There's a band out of Austin, Texas that I'm keeping an eye on. They're called Black Books. So far, all they have out is an EP.

They are playing live a lot and saying that their debut album will be out in early 2013.

I like the sound of their EP. They're working in dream pop / indie / psychedelic / etc. You can check it out here:

http://blackbooks.bandcamp.com/album/an-introduction-to
Thanks to Head-Fi, you'll be way ahead of the curve if they ever make it big. 
popcorn.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 15
Diablo Swing Orchestra are crazy good. I'll give Black Roots a shot, StratoMan. I've been getting more into that style recently.

A few of my picks:

The Black Angels - Psychedelic Rock

Fever Ray - Electronica

Leprous - Progressive Metal

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Just checked:
Black Books EP "Shifting Sounds" is available on MOG.
I like, thanks for the tip.
Oscar

Do you have a link for that one? I can't seem to find it on MOG. Perhaps it is because we are in different countries. The availability might not be the same. I was actually referring to the EP "An Introduction To," which for me is available on MOG. Here's a link:

Black Books - An Introduction To

I also tried Spotify. Oddly enough, a search for the artist "Black Books" on Spotify returns two different EPs. One is called "In This Town." I'm quite sure that one is by a different band. It sounds metal. Perhaps there are two up-and-coming bands that are trying to use the same name. It seems that Spotify has them listed together. Spotify does have the EP, "An Introduction To" as well. Here's a link for that one:

Black Books – An Introduction To

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. Oh well, Black Books does match the OP's requirements though...

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 15
Arcade Fire
Fanfarlo
Interpol

Although Interpol was formed in '97, nothing was really released until 2000.  I know both Arcade Fire & Interpol are pretty mainstream, but both bands have put out some of the best music of the 2000's.  

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Arcade Fire
Fanfarlo
Interpol

Although Interpol was formed in '97, nothing was really released until 2000.  I know both Arcade Fire & Interpol are pretty mainstream, but both bands have put out some of the best music of the 2000's.  

Interpol and Arcade Fire would be my top 2.  The Shins, The National and Arctic Monkeys would round out my top 5.

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 15
The Black Dahlia Murder, Nocturnal is amazing, but they kicked it up to a whole new level with Ritual, that cd will go down as one of my favorite CDs of the last 5 years or so, i still listen to it all the freaking time

EDIT: though on a funny note, before i  read the OP, i was gonna say Tool, since Lateralus technically came out in 2000
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Keep the posts coming, I know Head-Fiers generally listen to a lot of recent music.
smile.gif

One more I recently discovered is Ruth Moody and The Wailin' Jennys (which Ruth Moody is a member of). Really good mix of bluegrass & folk. Moody's voice is sorta similar to Alison Krauss', which is definitely nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back