best anti-spyware program?
Jan 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Harry Tuttle

100+ Head-Fier
it seems lavasoft have stopped supporting ad-aware se and I hate ad-aware 2007
mad.gif
is there a small anti-spyware program as efficient as ad-aware se was? free or not

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 29
i usually just use the following configuration:

spybot: update + immunize.
spyware blaster: update + enable all protection
firefox: adblock plus (using easylist w/ easylist element)

now each time i scan, it's clean.

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 29
Another happy Spybot-Search And Destroy user here. I also use HijackThis, but this one tends to be one you have to be a bit careful with, because sometimes, it thinks settings changed within programs are bits of spyware and you have to look at what you are deleting before you delete it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 29
According to wikipedia, AVG anti-spyware is ewido antispyware. If it is that, then it should be pretty good. I know a lot of people who used ewido. I'd rather go the route of prevention (immunization that takes up no resources) though than action protection (don't know if AVG anti-spyware offers it).

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. Yup, AVG anti-spyware is ewido antispyware. Just didn't know if ewido was any good.

Ewido is good stuff

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 29
Spybot Search & Destroy hands down.

CA PestPatrol is pretty boss too. It found spyware fragments / leftovers that couldn't be found by SpyBot, Adaware, and Kaspersky combined
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 29
thanks everyone, I've just installed spybot and it seems to work well! I was wondering, if I use immunize what does it mean exactly? will that make the program open itself automatically and slow down my system? I know preventing is better but I have a crappy cpu so I don't want anything slowing it down...

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 29
I think this feature prevents known malware from being run in the first place. This should have no impact on speed and performance on your pc since it just blocks known problems from being run. Not too sure if i'm right
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 29
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but there isn't one "best" anti-spyware program. I recently had a crippling trojan infection which took the best part of a day and multiple programs to sort out (1.3M+ files to scan through) despite already running free & up-to-date versions of AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster. Since then, I've installed a couple other anti-spyware programs, namely HijackThis and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back