Best anti-next-doors sound isolating full size cans?
Feb 28, 2009 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dr__red

New Head-Fier
My main rig is K701 + Woo4 maxed which is great but is located in leaving room. Unfortunately my PC/study room has common wall with next doors who are particularly noisy rap lovers. There, I have attached Zero DAC to coax output from my Lenovo D10. Now I need some closed cans for this “study” rig. I.e. to stream some baroque from Naxos at low background volume and stop hearing booms and yo’s from behind the wall. What would be my best bet? I hate putting anything into my ear channels. And no, I’m not willing to move the house, not just yet.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 10
K271S (K272HD) should have a comparable sound signature and isolates very well.
the Sennheiser HD280 is said to be one of the best isolating headphones around, but I've never heard that one. I did hear the HD25-II, great isolation and very nice sound, but probably a lot different from what you have now.
You could look around to see if you can audition these.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 10
HD280s can isolate you from quite a lot. They need a bit of software EQ to dip the mids to sound their best, though.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Bass is extraordinarily hard to filter out without IEMs (and even then its hard) or *gasp* active noise cancellation. If its going through your wall, do you really think a plastic headphone is going to be able to drown it out?

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Buy a big stereo, play the ugliest music as hard as possible while you're away and hope your neighbors get the hint
smily_headphones1.gif

The K271s isolate well but not that well, maybe IEMs are better suited for this problem

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you won't be able to block bass without IEMS, and even then you won't block much.

If it is that loud - call the police or your landlord.

x2

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you won't be able to block bass without IEMS, and even then you won't block much.

If it is that loud - call the police or your landlord.

+3.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 10
I really like the ATH ANC7 noise cancelling headphones. They block outside noise well - I use them when I walk my dogs and they do a good job of blocking out the lawn mowers and blowers from neighborhood gardeners (not completely gone but not bothersome). While the sound is not natural like a K701, I really like them a lot and find them very pleasing. You should be able to find a pair for $80-100.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 10
If you really care about thier music, By all means, Call the police, but if you simply want to isolate yourself, then Custom IEM's is your best Option. These are my IEMs and I Love them.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...thread-368009/

There are some "Extreme Isolation" closed cans out there but then you run into "Sibilence" problems, as is the case with many "Closed Cans" I Have a pair of these and although they're not Denon, or Senn, or Grado, the sound is respectable and they are designed to be etreme isolation.

The SoundStage SVT - Audiophile & Studio Grade Isolation Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back