Best Analog Signal Splitting Device Advice...
May 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Synergist969

100+ Head-Fier
  Dear Headphiles:

Help! 

I would like help/suggestions regarding the best way to split the signal from my Bifrost DAC, so as to allow it to feed both my currently owned Lyr, as well as my anticipated Asgard 2, whenever it finally ships/arrives.  I would rather not have to disconnect/re-connect my rca cables from one amp to the other everytime I wish to change amps.

Oh, and no, I do NOT necessarily need/want to run both headphone amps simultaneously, (however, that possibly would be a nice benefit at times).  Rather, I would like the option of leaving my Asgard 2 running over extended periods of time so that I might spontaneously/"casually" listen whenever the mood strikes me, (over nights etc.), and saving my Lyr tube life for when I plan on more "serious" listening sessions, thus enjoying that which the Lyr has to offer, without wasting tube life while I am away from my system, or falling asleep...besides, as nice as the circuit topology might be, that toggle switch on the rear panel is a bit of a challenge when I am not right next to my system amp.. 

So, what suggestions do you have regarding an analog signal switching device, that will minimally/inaudibly(?) degrade the signal?   If I DID wish to listen to both amps simultaneously, would that change the answer?  

Current signal chain: Digital signal source (Older model OPPO multi-disc player) >>> Bifrost DAC >>>  Lyr Amp >>> Sennheiser 650's...    and would ultimately desire that Asgard 2 amp next to the Lyr...

I look forward to your input/responses, and thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom 

P.S.  Despite reading several threads, I am still unclear as to the better/"best" choices for a headphone extension cable, as I must often sit/work at a distance from my amp that is greater than the length of my 650 cable allows...might like another 10, or possibly 15 feet at the very most... extension cable suggestions...?...brands, makers, sources...?...  

May 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 8
The simplest solution that comes to my mind is a small switchbox with a simple selector with three options - Source->Lyr, Source->Asgards, Source->Both Amps. It is pretty easy to make it by any DIYer. I dont think such devices are made by any company.

As for the the SQ degradation it will be marginal or even inaudible, but make sure that the switchbox will have high quality sockets and selector switch, wired with cable of similar quality to the interconnects which do you plan to use.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 8
  Dear Matez:

Thank you for your suggestion...I'm not an electronics DIY'er, however, we do have "Parts Express" as well as a few other parts suppliers over here the USA...and I might be persuaded to learn how to select decent parts as well as how to wield a soldering iron, however, if you or others could recommend high quality components as well as a solid diagram, I might just give it a shot...

A reasonably priced, yet super-high-end, self-made switch box sounds rather appealing to me...

Any suggestions one and all?  Sources, Parts, Plans???

Thank you!

Sincerely,
  T.A. Kogstrom      

May 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 8
  To whom it may concern:

I ended up selecting the Mogami 10 ft. headphone extention cord, having to mail-order it as it seems a less than popular accessory at my local pro-audio instrument shops here in Orlando, Fla....hopefully it is as neutral and durable as the pro-audio guys purport it to be.

Still inquiring regarding that analog signal splitter recommendation to use following my Bifrost output, into my Lyr and much anticipated Asgard 2...

Any experience/suggestions thereof...?...manufactures, specific units?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
  T. A. Kogstrom 

May 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm using the Niles AXP-1 analog switcher with my ODAC and connecting a Little Dot I+, O2, and HK 3390 receiver. It's a heavy duty switcher made with metal. None of that cheap push button stuff on the AV switchers commonly available, but a solid know for switching inputs/outputs. They market it as useful for switching between multiple sources, but it works great the other way, too.

May 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 8
  Dear cel 4145:

Thank you for your suggestion, I will certainly look into that manufacturer/unit.

Sncerely,
  T.A. Kogstrom

May 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 8
To whom it may concern: Regarding the choice of an audio analog signal switch box, the Niles AXP-1 was suggested and comes complete with positive reviews from several happy users, such that is it a known quantity/bird in the hand so to speak...and does offer a 5:1 / 1:5 input/output design. While researching the Niles AXP-1 unit, my research also turned up the: Rolls SS32 MiniRoute 3 Passive Stereo Signal Switcher 3 In/1 Out, sold through Parts Express, which provided a 3:1 / 1: 3 input/output design...and am now wondering if the Rolls unit may offer the same sound quality level as the Niles unit...Has anyone any experience with "Rolls" products...?...it is not as though the cost difference is really all that significant to me, I simply wish to find the absolutely best sounding unit, and if that is the "Niles" or the "Rolls" unit, so be it... So, if anyone cares to weigh in on the subject/comparison, I would be very happy to learn. Thank you. Sincerely, T.A. Kogstrom

May 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 8
  To whom it may concern:

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread, however, for what it is worth...as I received notice last evening that my Schiit Asgard 2 was shipping and expected to arrive on 5/14/13, I decided to mail order the Niles unit...(Crutchfield), but would still be curious about the quality/value of the Rolls unit...should anyone have any insight thereof.

Thank you to whomever responded with their experience/insight.

Sincerely,
  T.A.Kogstrom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back