Best amps for AKG 1000
Sep 8, 2002 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
I just received a pair and am dying to try them with quality amplification.

Sep 8, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 23
Seeing as you've got the Sugden Headmaster preamp, you could try the Sugden Ampmaster poweramp.

Or, Sugden have just told me, they will shortly be lauching a new single ended pure class dc coupled power amplifier launched for the Bijou series, which should presumably go nicely with the Headmaster -- might be expensive though!

Sep 8, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 23
I've been getting a good sound out of the AKG-K1000s with a vintage Marantz receiver (model 2226). It's more than powerful enough to drive them.

Sep 9, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 23
I also just got the k1000 deal from headroom.I bought a norh
se9 intergrated to power them.This combo works extremely well together. Best of all the amp only cost 399.95 . GO to www.norh.com for info and link to review of both units together.It only took 5 days from when I ordered it till the time I received it.
build quality is pretty good. This amp is a steal at that price.

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Tubehead that I am, I've had much better luck with solid state amplification for the K1000.

Thanks, Nick... I was beginning to get too curious about that Norh amp
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 23
(was my post deleted? I was sure I posted this earlier...)

The nOrh doesn't seem like a great amp except for the price. I think it has the makings of a good amp but I won't get to try it without more reverse engineering than I'm prepared to put in. I would like to get the chassis and transformers and replace the PCB with point-to-point wiring as I have done for other amps. Michael Barnes of nOrh said it wasn't possible to get a schematic because they OEM the SE9 from someone else.

(ASL include schematics)

Sep 9, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 23
JIM
Bass response seems pretty good on the norh. I can not tell you how it fairs against the 300sei with the k1000s because my
cary is modded to be a headphone amp only, with hedaphone relay
bypassed.no output to speaker terminals.I will try my conrad johnson premier 12s in my main system with the k1000s to see how they sound.As for any naysayers about the norh,this amp is not the best there is. but you are going to have to spend alot more to better it.And it does work well with the k1000s but thats only my opinion.And I have listened to it.If any other members have listened
to this amp I would like to hear your opinions.

Sep 9, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

jvh: No preamp at all! The Parasound has volume attenuators built in. I also used a Bottlehead Foreplay, but I preferred the sound of "less is more".

I'll have to give that a try. Direct from source to amp. I am currently using a MOH as a preamp.

I had purchased a Parasound Zamp to drive the K1000.
I was doing a little rearranging with my HT amps so I decided to slip a HCA-1500A into my headphone cabinet with excellent results.

John

Sep 11, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for all the advice so far, but I'd like to pose a question.

Nick: Why do you say you've had better luck s.s. amps? I've been thinking tube. Headroom raves about a ASL integrated amp. I've also been speaking with an authorized ASL dealer who is also an upgrade wizard (in fact he helped work on some issues with the Twin Head) and he is pretty sure he can modify the Twin Head to drive the AKG 1000 (his explanation involved high current, low voltage converted into low voltage, high current or something to that effect).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back