Best amplifier with no price limit??
Aug 2, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 26
Dinamic? Electrostatic? Which headphones and source do you have? What music do you listen the most? What is your budget? Do you prefer tubes or solid state? Balanced or single ended?

Electrostatic: The Orpheus is regarded as the best electrostatic system!
Tube: Maybe a SDS-XLR from Singlepower
Solid State: A Dinamite, Headroom Max.

use the search button to learn more about these amps.

But if you anwser the questions above it will be easier to help you

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 26
Manuel, I miss your cute avartar
frown.gif

btw, don't forget Rudistor RP1000
biggrin.gif
-> Edit: don't forget mighty cmoy
redface.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 26
i dont know the difference between dinamic and electrostatic...

i will use 3 different earphones
-im716
-cx300
-ep 630

source is sony nw-a3000

i listen to club, dance, techno, house, new age.. also alternatives, 70's 80's..

i prefer solid state

and i also dont know what is balanced and single ended...

price is not important.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Dinamic? Electrostatic? Which headphones and source do you have? What music do you listen the most? What is your budget? Do you prefer tubes or solid state? Balanced or single ended?

Electrostatic: The Orpheus is regarded as the best electrostatic system!
Tube: Maybe a SDS-XLR from Singlepower
Solid State: A Dinamite, Headroom Max.

use the search button to learn more about these amps.

But if you anwser the questions above it will be easier to help you

Singlepower SDS-XLR for dynamic phones.
According to the reviews from all the meets the Singlepower ES-1 is even better than the Orpheus amp with the "BIG O".
I have not heard a SS amp that can compare with the best tube headphone amps yet.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 26
You might want to consider ordering an amp from one of these artists.

Nori Komuro: possibly the best tube amp designer on the planet. If I could afford one of his designs I would surely have one.

Don Garber: Owner and operator of Fi Audio. He's also a tube guy and very respected.

Steve Berger: Aprilsound. I've not heard any of his amps but they sure do look beautiful! Never seen anything like them. If I had all the money in the world I'd order something from him too.

J.C. Morrison: His contact info could probably be found on the internet somewhere. I think he might be the chief designer for EH. I don't have any info on him, nor have I heard his designs, but he comes very highly recommended by the guy who built my amp...

Blackie Pagano: Tubesville Technical Services and Noise Outlaw Audio. He built my amp and he and Don Garber are probably the most affordable of these builders. Don't quote me on that, though...

All of these builders are currently in NYC except for Blackie who moved to LA recently. I'm sure they would all be very happy to make you the amp of your dreams. I am jealous because having a custom amp built for you is one of the great joys of the audio-love path.

EDIT: There are others too! But I like builders from NYC! I'd also recommend Wavac, Electronluv, Wavelength, Sun Audio, Art Audio, 47 Labs, etc... There are too many to count. The best dynamic headphone section I have ever heard is my own. The best electrostatic headphone amp I've heard is the Singlepower ES-1. Be sure to budget a good source into your purchase.

I second Tom's comment. I have not heard a SS system that sounds as good as the best tube designs.

Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorback
i dont know the difference between dinamic and electrostatic...

i will use 3 different earphones
-im716
-cx300
-ep 630

source is sony nw-a3000

i listen to club, dance, techno, house, new age.. also alternatives, 70's 80's..

i prefer solid state

and i also dont know what is balanced and single ended...

price is not important.

Razorback, you are probably not aware how expensive amps can be.
Your cans are considered here to be entry level, and IMO it doesn't make any sense to connect them to a $10000 amp.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 26
SS: Dynahi
Tube: single power SDS
Electro: single power ES1

I think that's it for single ended stuff.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 26
Only the im716 is worth amplifying. The other phones you have aren't really high end cans the enefit from dedicated amplifying.

That said.

If you don't have a price limit go with:

Xin Supermacro
Ray Samuels SR-71
Larocco Portable amp( I don't remember the correct name)

But if money is not a problem you should really get better isolating headphones first! Such as UE 10 Pro or shure e5c.

You can also have home amplifiers which cost tousands of dollars, and get nice open headphones such as Sennheiser HD650, Grado RS-1 or GS1000, AKG 701...

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I have the ES-1 in the mail, as it were. I will tell you soon.

You lucky dog you. I guess his 3-4 week estimate wasn't all that far off. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting. But I know I'll get a great product, eventually...
wink.gif

Jeff

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 26
Based upon the OP’s posts he doesn’t really understand the overall scope of possible choices. It’s like asking what are the best racing tires when you drive a Scion. You might be interested in what is the best amp, but you’re not actually in the market for one.

When are newbies going to realize that there needs to be context for any given question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back