Best amplifier $2000 and under?
May 5, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie
If you've got the space, consider the Portal Panache. Bonus - it is a real integrated amp so it can do double duty for speakers or K1000s
k1000smile.gif

It sounds great through the headphone jack, and has a ton of juice. I find it to be very smooth and lush considering it is solid state.

-- Gordie

I second the Portal Panache. It's one of the best buys in headphone amps and integrated amps. The fact that it is both makes it a steal. It is the most powerful amp for headphones that I've ever heard. It doesn't sound like the typical SS amp either. Like Gordie says, it is lush in the midrange and its bass is very extended. The highs are smooth and non fatiguing. It definitely has PRAT because every time I listen to it my feet began to tap.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Tube lovers will reject the hybrid sound but those who love the best of either solid state or tube sound might love the hybrid sound as the best compromise that is most realisitic.

what??? I have owned and loved the dynahi and the moth 2a3 both both were excellent but the Moth is clearly better. If I had 2k to spend and I did I would go with either the 2A3 or the Zana by Eddie Current.
The Feel amp is a really nice amp "for the money" but it is not a 2A3.

May 5, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
If I had two grand, I would contact Craig (Eddie Current) and ask him to build me a Zana Duex.
wink.gif

I think it is a bit less than your $2000 mark.

Just read some of the impressions of it at the Cincinnati meet
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=zana

I second that!!! Craig makes state of the Art amps
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
I second that!!! Craig makes state of the Art amps
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am with you guys on this. I have possession of jp numbers Moth at the moment and it is as good as they get. Craig swears the ZD is better.

May 5, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #20 of 46
I have a basic Singlepower Supra. But I had the amps voltage and bias increased to get the most out of the 6bl7gt/a output tubes. This Supra as implemented is the best single ended amp I have ever heard.

In fact, I like the amp so well I had a SLAM mpx3 built with a Supra power transformer and the same high voltage high bias settings. The Supra with the powerful 6bl7gt/a output tubes and a quality gain tube is in a class of its own.
icon10.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 46
One that I am particularly interested in hearing, even though I am pretty happy with my Singlepower Supra, is a Cary 300sei. It is probably a bit over your price range, but if you are patient you might be able to find it for $2250. As a bonus, it serves as an integrated amp, albeit for very efficient speakers. It is supposed to have a very encapturing liquid sound, especially in the midrange.

As to a recommendation within the upper limits of your price range, I recommend talking with Singlepower Audio. Once you talk to Mikhail you could get an amp tailored to your style and type of music you listent to.

May 5, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou
One that I am particularly interested in hearing, even though I am pretty happy with my Singlepower Supra, is a Cary 300sei. It is probably a bit over your price range, but if you are patient you might be able to find it for $2250. As a bonus, it serves as an integrated amp, albeit for very efficient speakers. It is supposed to have a very encapturing liquid sound, especially in the midrange.

As to a recommendation within the upper limits of your price range, I recommend talking with Singlepower Audio. Once you talk to Mikhail you could get an amp tailored to your style and type of music you listent to.

I heard one at the National Meet and it was excellent. I believe I was using the GS-1000 at the time. I would have included it but it is a bit over the $2000 limit but well worth it.

May 5, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 46
The Dynamight starts at 2500 so that's out of the question.

Though I do not own one or have EVER listened to one, I would like to mention the Laracco HeadCode DM which gets raved reviews.

I think of course you should save a couple extra hundred bucks and go with a Dyamight which is one heck of an amp...to say the least...

May 5, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou

Do you know who sells the Cary 300sei? Also I was thinking about the Single Powers but they're are just so many options, I'm afraid if I talk to him, I'll get excited and ring up a balanced amp over three grand
biggrin.gif
, definitely can't have any of that, need to save money for other stuff too
orphsmile.gif

May 5, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Do you know who sells the Cary 300sei? Also I was thinking about the Single Powers but they're are just so many options, I'm afraid if I talk to him, I'll get excited and ring up a balanced amp over three grand
biggrin.gif
, definitely can't have any of that, need to save money for other stuff too
orphsmile.gif

Here is one for sale on Audiogon: 300sei

No reason to be scared of Mikhail. He is a great guy.

May 5, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #26 of 46
So far I'm really happy with my new GCHA. I can't find fault with it, which is a refreshing change. In A-B mode I might be able to find some issue but not right now. Its nice to be done with the amp shopping thing.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 46
Tyrion pointed out the 300sei on Audiogon, but I've seen them lower ($2200 - 2300). So, if you wanted one, I'd be patient and keep looking. They come up regularly.

As for the Singlepowers, yeah it is easy to get caught up in buying more than you need or want. That's how I ended up with the Supra.
icon10.gif
However, previously I had a upgraded MPX3. I've also listened to quite a few Singlepowers at Sacd Lover's house. I think an MPX3 Slam is a really nice amp for around $1200 - 1500 (I think that is the range). Although the Supra is more refined, with a larger soundstage and better instrument separation, I see the point of diminishing returns. To me, that point lies within various configurations of the MPX3.

You've gotten a lot of great recommendations. If you haven't listened to many different amps, anything in the $1000-2000 range will be excellent. There are definite differences between the amps, but they are still all excellent in that price range. Buy one, listen to it for 2-4 months, and if it seems to be lacking something in regards to your personal listening preferences, sell it and try another. It's hard to pick an amp and stay with it unless you are not that critical or you really know the sound you are looking for. Again, likely every amp in the $1000 - 2000 range is going to be really nice.

As for upgrading your source, I know a lot of people recommend that route first. I definitely noticed a difference when I did upgrade my source, but I tend to like to focus on my headphones and amp first. I was using a NAD 541i for a while, and while it was short on detail, it was still a pretty good source. I did not feel I was lacking until sometime later when I desired more resolution.

To me, I upgrade my source last. It is the final contributor (along with ICs and power cords) and I buy it based on the synergy and/or improvements I want to achieve in my system. For example, if my headphones/amp combo is slightly bright, I will look for a source that has some warmth.

Good luck, you are definitely looking in a price range where you can't really go wrong.

May 5, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #28 of 46
Everyone who contributes has an agenda. Right now my agenda is a MPX3, because my dynamic rig includes a MPX3. I recommend the Singlepower amp, mainly because Mikhail will build the amp to your desires and tweak it for your headphones so you will get the sound you want. Mikhail will not rest until you are happy. Don't make my mistake, however, and upgrade it heavily, because you will not get your money back should you decide to sell. You can upgrade it later should you desire.

Another route would be to buy a Singlepower from our own FS forum. Probably the best forum of trust and service on the internet.

I would start with the PPX3 slam. $649 base price.Configured for the 6SN7 tubes. Two 5687 adapters. There is one for sale now.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171966

May 5, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I would start with the PPX3 slam. $649 base price.Configured for the 6SN7 tubes. Two 5687 adapters. There is one for sale now.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171966

The baseline price for the PPX3 SLAM is NOT $649, the PPX3 SLAM starts at $799 witrh a 6cg7 as a driver with the version with the the 6sn7 driver coming in at around $900 or so. The amp being sold on the FS forum that you have linked to is not a PPX3 SLAM, you'd need the tube adapters as well as tubes if you wanted to use the 5687s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back