Best Amp With Shure Se530
May 26, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 16
RSA Tomahawk has a long standing reputation for driving the SE530's especially well. They've surely come down in price a lot by now too, so that may be a good choice.

May 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Tomahawk is one of the best combo with SE530. Well defined mid, extended treble, the bass is tight with punchy. If you prefer warmer sound, then may be the Corda XXS is good enough too. Don't aim for much expensive options, because not all suitable for SE530.

May 26, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How suited would the iBasso D2 be for the SE530s?

I've got this combo and it works fine. However, my best answer to the thread in general is none. I find that the difference between amped/unamped with SE530s is pretty negligible. I think there's a whole lotta placebo goin' on with all the people who insist you have to have an amp for these phones.

May 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd also go with the "none needed" option, especially if SE530's are the only IEM/headphones that you will be using. I know my T4 (and that is as big as I want it as far as portable amps are concerned) for example doesn't really help the SE530's that much, and wouldn't be worth it just for them.

With that said, if you ABSOLUTELY had to get one, it'll probably be Tomahawk as I've mentioned before. IIRC Tomahawk was tuned by Ray Samuels with 530's as primary headphones.

May 27, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody's interested in the Pico Slim? Or even the Shadow?

Interesting on a product not yet released is another issue, but for my experience on both brands, Pico's may not sound better than RSA's with SE530. Any way, it is too early to comment on which is better as not yet released.

May 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I really have no clue what you were meaning.

I know you like the LODs, but I'm a non-believer in portable amps, especially from iPods. IMO, the more cost-effective approach is to simply buy a better portable source. If we're adding up the total cost of iPod + high-priced portable amp + LOD, then we can easily top $500. Also, the fatty LODs can damage the jacks on your portable amp.

That's why I said nevermind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting on a product not yet released is another issue, but for my experience on both brands, Pico's may not sound better than RSA's with SE530. Any way, it is too early to comment on which is better as not yet released.

Yeah, who knows? But if OP has some patience, I think reports from CJ will be coming in soon enough. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be able to get his hands on either of those products anytime soon.
wink.gif

May 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 16
pico works great with them, as does the D10. so if Justin has made improvements to the pico slim regarding its use with IEMs, that may be a great choice. basically any nice and most importantly quiet amp with a low noise floor but of course synergy does come into play. I run iphone 3G sometimes too and there is IMO a difference in soundstage, tightness/control in the bass and extension in the highs. no placebo here; also there are plenty of LODs that do not damage jacks and from a regular ipod HP out (not as much the iphone because it sounds great already from HP out) there is to me a decent noticeable improvement. just because SE530 are low impedence does not mean they are easy to drive to potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back