Best Amp With Grados?
Sep 1, 2002 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
I HAVE GRADO SR-125,SR-225 AND RS-2S COMING.I HAVE AN OLD AUDIO ALCHEMY HPA-1 I USE AT WORK WITH MY 125S DIRECTLY OUT OF A SONY CE-775 SACD PLAYER.I WANT TO GET AN AMP FOR HOME NOW. MY SOURCE WOULD BE A SONY C555ES SACD PLAYER,PS AUDIO LAMBDA -PERPETUAL TECH P1A/P3A INTO A MCCORMACK TLC-1 PRE THROUGH MIT TERMINATOR 2 INTERCONNECT.I DONT WANT TO SPEND OVER $400,OR I SHOULD SAY I CANT. I SEE THE CANDIDATES AS THE CORDA HA-1,CREEK OBH-11SE,ASL,MAPLETREE AND POSSIBLY THE GRADO RA-1. I DONT WANT A HEADROOM AMP,TO MANY CHOICES.WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES FOR AMPS THAT WORK WELL WITH THE GRADOS,ESPECIALLY THE RS-2?PS,FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WONDER, THE HEADPHONE JACKS ON THE SONY PLAYERS ARE PRETTY GOOD BUT THEY DONT COMPARE TO A GOOD AMP. THEY HAVE GOOD DRIVE BUT THEY SOUND TRANSISTORY,SOMEWHAT THIN.

Sep 1, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 11
So everyone can read it here is the above post, not in caps:

I have grado SR-125, SR-225 and RS-2s coming. I have an old audio alchemy HPA-1 I use at work with my 125s directly out of a sony CE-775 sacd player. I want to get an amp for home now. My source would be a sony c555es sacd player, ps audio lambda -perpetual tech p1a/p3a into a mccormack tlc-1 pre through mit terminator 2 interconnect. I dont want to spend over $400,or i should say i cant. I see the candidates as the corda ha-1,creek obh-11se,asl,mapletree and possibly the grado ra-1. I dont want a headroom amp, to many choices. What are your experiences for amps that work well with the grados, especially the rs-2?

ps,for those of you who wonder, the headphone jacks on the sony players are pretty good but they dont compare to a good amp. They have good drive but they sound transistory, somewhat thin.

Sep 1, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 11
Don't be afraid to use caps at the beginning of sentences either. Generally we prefer standard English sentence structure whenever possible. You could have also made this part of your original "all caps" thread, which you can still edit.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW. Welcome to Head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Of the ones mentioned, I think the best amps for Grados are the Mapletree Ear+ and Grado RA-1. I haven't heard the RA-1 with a Grado headphone... but with the Sennheiser 600 it sounds very smooth (albeit without much punch).

Both cost approximately the same, but keep in mind that the Mapletree is a kit that you can either build yourself or have Lloyd build for you for an extra $80... at least I think that's what he is charging these days.

Sep 1, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 11
hey!
caps on the internet are used to make a statement....kinda sorta..
But when you use them in a complete post, it makes you sound like you are yelling or screaming.
I never tried it but perhaps you could just bump the font on your posts? I don't know...is there a FAQ on how to use the posting features here? Not that I want to, but I don't even know how to use the smiley things.
Hmmmmm....
md

Sep 1, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Another option you may wish to consider is a DIY amp, such as a CHA47 or META42. I have a few of each, built by JMT, and they sound great with all my Grados. The RA-1 also does a fine job (very smooth), but I prefer a more dynamic sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 11
If you have microsoft word, you can copy your whole post into it, go under format, then click change case. That means you don't have to retype the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back