Best amp under $500 with multiple inputs?
Nov 27, 2006 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ILLScholar

New Head-Fier
Essentially what I am looking for is an amp that has a few different inputs, whether they be RCA or 1/8' stereo connectors. What I want to do is be able to run a few sources into it (like an iPod via an LOD and whatever else running through a DAC) and not have to unplug one of them to plug in the other. My phones will be Beyerdynamic DT 880.

Right now, I am leaning heavily towards the Original Master amp or the Gilmore Lite if I can't find something suitable with multiple inputs. I will go with either solid state or tube, so I really have no preference there as of yet.

Hoping to find something that fits under $500. I'd prefer something with no integrated DAC, but I would certainly be willing to look at all my options. Thanks in advance.

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 10
The PreSonus Central Station probably won't interest you but it does have 3 analog and 2 digital inputs, 2 headphones outs, a DAC...

It doesn't have the "audiophile" look and may not interest all people but it's very flexible.

I just got mine and I'm very impressed with it so I must share my
eggosmile.gif

CentralStationfrontbig.jpg

Central Station thread

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I second GreatDane on the Central Station. I just got mine this week. The headphone amps give a great deal of details but still a rich/full and very accurate sound. But the CS does come with more than what you are looking for. In addition to the headphone amps and the highly praised DAC, I find it to be extremely useful for comparing different pieces of equipment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLScholar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoping to find something that fits under $500. I'd prefer something with no integrated DAC, but I would certainly be willing to look at all my options.

At less than $400 after shipping, even you don't use the DAC in the CS it's still an excellent price for what you get - two headphone amps, convenience of multiple inputs, and a great passive preamp if someday you decide to go down the speakers route.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Classic 10.0 has 4 sets of inputs. It's a headphone amp and a preamp. As a preamp it has 2 sets of outputs. As a headphone amp it has a 6.5mm headphone jack

I have never heard this amp though so i cannot personally recommend it.

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by odmanca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second GreatDane on the Central Station. I just got mine this week. The headphone amps give a great deal of details but still a rich/full and very accurate sound. But the CS does come with more than what you are looking for. In addition to the headphone amps and the highly praised DAC, I find it to be extremely useful for comparing different pieces of equipment.

At less than $400 after shipping, even you don't use the DAC in the CS it's still an excellent price for what you get - two headphone amps, convenience of multiple inputs, and a great passive preamp if someday you decide to go down the speakers route.

It is definitely looking to be an interesting option. I'm going to spend some time reading though that thread to see the impressions. Thanks for all your help guys.

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

It is definitely looking to be an interesting option. I'm going to spend some time reading though that thread to see the impressions. Thanks for all your help guys.

Glad to be of some help.
BTW, if you do decide to go with the CS, the following threads contain useful pricing info. on the CS.

Refurbished units at $370 posted by wae5

and

Brand new unit at $387.59

As GreatDane mentioned, the CS, being designed for professionals, doesn't have the typical 'audiophile' look. It doesn't have the wood and/or acrylic face plate that many of us are drawn to, but aesthetically it's not bad looking at all, IMHO. As a matter of fact, the brushed aluminum face plate with the LED meter and diffused lit buttons give the CS a very professional look, as it should
tongue.gif
It goes well with the DT880's (I also own a pair) colors of silver and black.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Well, I'm definitely more into performance than I am looks, so that isn't an issue with me at all. I'm just really trying to figure out more exactly what my setup is going to look like before I just into any decisions. Mainly the decision hinges upon whether I even want to bother using my computer as a source because if that's the case, I'd really like a DAC with USB in. If I decide in the end that I don't really want to use the computer, then I don't need USB in. I sort of like having the option of having USB just in case (like with the MD-10), but it definitely isn't a dealbreaker. Although, with the CS, I could use the optical out from the computer and then the coax from whatever else, be it a receiver or a CD player.

Too many options. Ha.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Well, I'm definitely more into performance than I am looks, so that isn't an issue with me at all. I'm just really trying to figure out more exactly what my setup is going to look like before I just into any decisions. Mainly the decision hinges upon whether I even want to bother using my computer as a source because if that's the case, I'd really like a DAC with USB in. If I decide in the end that I don't really want to use the computer, then I don't need USB in. I sort of like having the option of having USB just in case (like with the MD-10), but it definitely isn't a dealbreaker. Although, with the CS, I could use the optical out from the computer and then the coax from whatever else, be it a receiver or a CD player.

Too many options. Ha.

USB-> COAX/optical converters are fairly cheap. Like $50 or something

(they'd probably be more jittery than a dac with a dedicated usb port)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back