best amp under $150?
Jan 10, 2023 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wall000

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm currently trying to decide between buying an SMSL SH-8S for $130+$15shipping or a Sabaj A20h for $119.99.
The SMSL measured really well on ASR, but the Sabaj is newer and still hasn't been measured by a third party.
What other options would members here recommend in this price point?

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 16
Hi, I'm currently trying to decide between buying an SMSL SH-8S for $130+$15shipping or a Sabaj A20h for $119.99.
The SMSL measured really well on ASR, but the Sabaj is newer and still hasn't been measured by a third party.
What other options would members here recommend in this price point?
I have two of the Sabaj A20h amps. They're very transparent and would really recommend a DAC with filters and colors like the SMSL M300 to jazz things up unless you're doing production work and need it that way. With a balanced DAC they can power the He6se up to a -4db preamp reduction to equalize, but no further than that. Get longer cables since the connectors for XLR are upside down, also a 6.35mm adapter with an extension on it, since the plugs are in the back. The Topping D10b just barely fits on top of it and does a good job with the default filter and just need USB connectivity on a budget. The A20D DAC is best though, it's got 5 volts output and looks great on top or to the side if you can find one. It's really balanced, so power on the SE side is 1/4 the balanced. It's still enough to drive my DT990 600 ohm though. There's no expansive soundstage effect or other tricks, just clean power, and if you use balanced, tons of it. Also the menu dims after 10 seconds, so it's not glowing blue all the time.

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I have two of the Sabaj A20h amps. They're very transparent and would really recommend a DAC with filters and colors like the SMSL M300 to jazz things up unless you're doing production work and need it that way. With a balanced DAC they can power the He6se up to a -4db preamp reduction to equalize, but no further than that. Get longer cables since the connectors for XLR are upside down, also a 6.35mm adapter with an extension on it, since the plugs are in the back. The Topping D10b just barely fits on top of it and does a good job with the default filter and just need USB connectivity on a budget. The A20D DAC is best though, it's got 5 volts output and looks great on top or to the side if you can find one. It's really balanced, so power on the SE side is 1/4 the balanced. It's still enough to drive my DT990 600 ohm though. There's no expansive soundstage effect or other tricks, just clean power, and if you use balanced, tons of it. Also the menu dims after 10 seconds, so it's not glowing blue all the time.
is 30cm enough for a 6.35mm to XLR cable for a D10B+A20h stack?

EDIT: it is more than enough

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 16
@dunring Hey! Came across this thread while looking for a decent budget amp.

For Edition XS, between Sabaj A20h and SMSL HO100 which one would you recommend?
I'd recommend get the Sabaj A20h for $119. I have one right now with the Topping d10b DAC and it sounds excellent. I've used it with the Hifiman He6se on the balanced side, and if you don't go over a -4 preamp reduction it's enough power to get even those really loud. Listening to a HE5xx on it right now on the balanced side in med gain with a -6.7db preamp reduction and -30db volume is as loud as I would go unless it's a pre-volume war recording which takes a little more. Single end has less power since it's a truly balanced amplifier, but even the DT880 600 ohm sounds good on that connector if you don't go into a big preamp reduction (like more than -4).
I've used every Hifiman up to the Arya with it and it's fantastic on the balanced side. Value of the money award for amplifiers. I have a Topping A90 behind be but prefer the A20h since it's completely transparent.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd recommend get the Sabaj A20h for $119. I have one right now with the Topping d10b DAC and it sounds excellent. I've used it with the Hifiman He6se on the balanced side, and if you don't go over a -4 preamp reduction it's enough power to get even those really loud. Listening to a HE5xx on it right now on the balanced side in med gain with a -6.7db preamp reduction and -30db volume is as loud as I would go unless it's a pre-volume war recording which takes a little more. Single end has less power since it's a truly balanced amplifier, but even the DT880 600 ohm sounds good on that connector if you don't go into a big preamp reduction (like more than -4).
I've used every Hifiman up to the Arya with it and it's fantastic on the balanced side. Value of the money award for amplifiers. I have a Topping A90 behind be but prefer the A20h since it's completely transparent.
I am currently using a D10 Balanced and a A20h stack just like you, why the pre-amp in-between?

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Thank you 🙏🏻

I’ll be feeding the amp directly from line out of MacBook Pro M1, hoping it can deliver the promised 3V.

Also, I’ve been reading on the internet that some amps have problem delivering sustained current even if they are rated higher. I’ll be eq’ing up up the bass on XS, will A20h be able to handle the additional sustained power needed for the boost? 🤔

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I'll suggest the loxjie p20.

Great amp and scales well with better gear.

And regarding measurements, not that it matters because they don't really listen to audio gear and rely pretty much on only measurements which indicates a lack of confidence in their ability to hear.

I'll just leave this quote.

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing." - Tweak fi

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 16
lots of recs here for very lean clinical amps. if you could bump it up by $50 i'd rec the ifi zen can just for a little more fun. Even the JDS Atom has a bit more fun sound vs the chifi stuff

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 16

Great amp and scales well with better gear.

And regarding measurements, not that it matters because they don't really listen to audio gear and rely pretty much on only measurements which indicates a lack of confidence in their ability to hear.

I'll just leave this quote.

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing." - Tweak fi
The ASR mantra?… “music is for losers who don’t listen to graphs” … 🤔😳🤣

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 16

It appears this not available on AliExpress anymore, where I live I only have the option of getting it from there 😞

if you could bump it up by $50 i'd rec the ifi zen can just for a little more fun

A bit confused as I saw a thread claiming the provided power supply is not enough for Zen CAN, it can't supply the sustained current.

This one: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sup...ucts-and-possibly-other-manufacturers.966163/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back