Best amp under $100
Oct 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

doni124

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking for a good amp and as I'm new at the hobby I figured I might as well ask.
Any replies appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 10
What connectors do you need?

Are you going to use it just for PC listening via USB?

If so then the X5 found here is pretty good. I own one and like it for the price. Comes in its own metal enclosure, has USB input, and plenty of power. It is dead quiet at zero volume and upon inspecting the PCB it looks to be a well thought out design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-X5-PCM2706-CS4344-Dual-TDA1308-USB-DAC-HiFi-Headphone-Amplifier-J-154-1-/141631943576

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I was thinking for my portable setup to go with my iPod classic and Sol Republic Tracks as I want a better sound without sacrificing the great storage the iPod has. Then I've heard of the Fiio A3 but does it apply to Sol Republic Tracks or are those considered Low-Fi?

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 10
While I don't have much experience in the Amp department, I did just recently pick up a Fiio Q1. I'm pretty pleased with it. Solid construction, long battery life, and very versatile. It is an amp and a DAC. which makes it a multi-use pony. Might be worth looking into.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 10
  While I don't have much experience in the Amp department, I did just recently pick up a Fiio Q1. I'm pretty pleased with it. Solid construction, long battery life, and very versatile. It is an amp and a DAC. which makes it a multi-use pony. Might be worth looking into.

I might just have to look into it thanks for the recommendation

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 10
You like that x5? I've been scouring the web and sifting through specs looking for the right low cost amp or amp/dac to try with my laptop at work. What phones are you using it with? I'd mainly be driving B&O h6, which are only 32 ohms but low sensitivity. Might also use my ety er4s but not the primary use.

What connectors do you need?

Are you going to use it just for PC listening via USB?

If so then the X5 found here is pretty good. I own one and like it for the price. Comes in its own metal enclosure, has USB input, and plenty of power. It is dead quiet at zero volume and upon inspecting the PCB it looks to be a well thought out design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-X5-PCM2706-CS4344-Dual-TDA1308-USB-DAC-HiFi-Headphone-Amplifier-J-154-1-/141631943576

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Here's a solution that may or may not be ideal for you. The Schiit Magni 2 is $99. With the right cables, you can connect your iPod or computer to it. It's a desktop amp, so it can't be used in a portable system. However, it has far more output power than portable amps, which could come in handy if you plan on upgrading to headphones that benefit from amplification later on. In my eyes, this is a wiser investment than getting a similarly-priced portable amp, since most headphones for portable use don't benefit from adding an amp to your DAP. If you really want a portable amp regardless, FiiO are well-regarded.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 10
You like that x5? I've been scouring the web and sifting through specs looking for the right low cost amp or amp/dac to try with my laptop at work. What phones are you using it with? I'd mainly be driving B&O h6, which are only 32 ohms but low sensitivity. Might also use my ety er4s but not the primary use.

I have tried the AKG K712 Pro, ATH-M50, noontec ZORO II HD, and all are easily driven by the X5. It is not the most resolving unit and comparing it to my hi-end gear does reveal its limits, but it is a great amp for how much it costs.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back