Best amp to make the A Ipod sound better?
Nov 29, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by RugerRell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok how is or was that ibasso portable amp i saw that it is like 80 bucks at there website? what portable amp would u recomend thats in the 150$ price range?

iBasso fine, but simply couldn't match with Xin Amp or Headsix, eventhough I already opamp roll it (OPA2111 and LM4562). But I'm only sayin from it's built in amp capability, if it's include its DAC, that's different story.

My recommendation portable amp.

- Penguinamp CMOY Caffeine amp - $80
- AMBLabs / Rockhopper Mini^3 amp - $120
- Minibox E - $120? (check head direct)
- Corda Headsix - $165

All of them hard to beat at their price range, or if you want to save money - get the CMOY amp, it's nearly sound similar with my Xin SMIII v6 (seriously)

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 33
I find my Tomahawk, bling blinged to my U2 Pod with UM 2's sound much better than the UM 2's straight outta (Compton):-0 my pod and it's three fold when in lossless (let me say that is to me)

I've been doing recent shopping for X-Mas and the prices I've just gotten are:

Rockhopper Mini^3 = $125.00
MiniBox-E = $169.00
Headsix = $150.00 based on Sky's review thread as I've not gone to the man for this as I'm afraid I'll just place that order once we speak and then my wallet's really going to offend me back!

Based on all the reviews I've read I've got a Mini^3 on the way, if it's as good as all I've read $125.00 is a steal:wink: Everyone comments on it's bass potential so having EB 5's I just had to have one. Need it like I need another hole in my head but when obsessed with music and playback gear it's what I get:)

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 33
Well if your going to spend 125 on the Rockhopper I would just spend the extra money and get the Headsix, as ive heard nothing can compare too it but the Xin Amps. Where did u here that the Headsix was going for 150$ I would buy one right away if I found it for that much.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As awkward as it may seem, a cleaner and more refined natural sound is not what most people prefer. All you have to do is look at the music industry and see how recordings are mastered to see the truth in that.

I'm glad someone mentioned this, but I don't think that this is a simple case of "giving the people what they want" it's more of a producers pleading "please hear our crappy song stand out from the other crappy pop music on your boom box!"

I've heard the, "it sounds really good, but can you make it just a little louder," line more times that I care to admit.

The loudness wars are really ruining the art of recording and destroying the dynamics that make music exciting. There is no way to go from ppp to ffff in today's music, it's all ffff now! So much for all that dynamic range that redbook CD's are capable of...

Thankfully, the problem seems to be limited to music that I really don't care for, (for now!) but once in a while the CD changer in the car switches over to my wife's copy of the new Liz Phair album and it practically launches me out the sunroof!! It's a shame as I used to really dig her albums, but the last 2 are just so fatiguing that it's impossible to listen to them all the way through (gee, maybe another reason why the record companies can't sell their crap?)...

Here are some interesting articles:

Imperfect Sound Forever

Wiki on "The Loudness War"

Why the "loudness wars" are killing today's music

sorry, soapbox rant over... I'm going to get my blood pressure checked now!

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just go straight out of the ipod. not worth investing in a portable amp for mp3 use.

why do so many automatically think of the iPod as an MP3 player when it plays formats such as AIFF and WAV which is RED BOOK?

I have been using Apple Lossless since I got me 5.5G 80GB iPod since Battery life is better than using AIFF which is what I usually store CD's on me iMac in.

does the Sound Quality of the iPod improve any at all over time with burn in? I have had mine about a month with maybe 30 hours of play time.

I use a HeadRoom MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module and it improves SQ and even though the iPod sounds very good it's still lacking..

though I would like to have the iMod I just do not see it worth the expense for something with a short life and is so easily broken. I use Turbo's recent LOD with an Ear Candy Mini to Mini.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #26 of 33
I'm just curious, why people prefer SR-71 than Hornet M ?

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious, why people prefer SR-71 than Hornet M ?

Costs more so it must be better
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #28 of 33
My Xin cost 3 times than my gf's caffeine cmoy amp, yet they sound similar (due to the similar opamp, AD8397).
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Xin cost 3 times than my gf's caffeine cmoy amp, yet they sound similar (due to the similar opamp, AD8397).
biggrin.gif

It was sarcasm... I agree with what you suggest.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #30 of 33
I think that an ipod as a source can sound very good, you just need to think about your usage. Normally in a portable setting, you can't appreciate the extra fidelity of a high end sound b/c of the background noice (subway, kids in the car, 100 mph wind on the helmet......) For that use get a decent portable, there are plenty of them out there and some iems. For home usage though, an Ipod CAN be a great source. Think about lossless files and the following setup. IPOD as a usb drive on a computer with an AV-710 soundcard optical out to a decent DAC to a decent amp to the headphones of your choice. Run foobar or winamp with ASIO or kernel streaming and you have great sound. You have transformed your Ipod from a portable player to a true digital source. Considering I have my entire collection in lossless format and use my ipod in a portable setting, in my car, on my desk setup at work and my home setup, I am very happy with it. Could I get better sound going directly from CD's ? Sure, but then I have to deal with CD's , opening, loading, possibly scratching them, no playlists..... I find that CD's are great as a backup, but I rip them once and store them for emergencies. Digital sound from an Ipod, or any other DAP, can be audio heaven with the correct setup for the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back