best amp to bring the bass out of akg k701
Jun 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 33
a little research into the darkvoice leads me to think its simply inadequate for the K701
follow through PinkFloyd's posts/links and you'll find the 336i has too small output coupling C for 32 Ohm cans - causing severe bass roll off - 3 octaves!

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - Darkvoice 336i Mod

modding the output caps is a option but I would bet the 336i is also way short on the current required to cleanly drive the very insensitive K701

get a buffered output or higher current discrete ss amp - then eq if desired - don't forget the K701 requires both higher V drive and higher current than most other popular headphones

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 33
I've also daisy chained two FiiO E5 w/ satisfying results
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #18 of 33
The DAC out of the Total Bithead I find brings out the bass in the K701's a lot. Of course, as a trade off (with it being a cheap amp and all), you lose all the micro details that you would get with better amps out there. It's good for a fun listen, but then you'd kinda be losing the purpose of listening to the K701...

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 33
Hi headfiers,

To get the most bass response out of K701, first it should be burnt in for over 1000 hours. The sound changes a lot especially in the bass department. Then, recently I got a Compass DAC/amp which is also burnt in over 500 hours. They produce quite right amount of bass, not overly but abundant enough and still very tight.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 33
It just seems that you are not a AKG "guy". If the sound signature is not for you, you should build your system around another can.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 33
I found Compass to be too bright with both AKGs and my Sonys. My EF1 produces a warmer, bassier sound than the Compass did with my equipment.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a little research into the darkvoice leads me to think its simply inadequate for the K701
follow through PinkFloyd's posts/links and you'll find the 336i has too small output coupling C for 32 Ohm cans - causing severe bass roll off - 3 octaves!

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - Darkvoice 336i Mod

modding the output caps is a option but I would bet the 336i is also way short on the current required to cleanly drive the very insensitive K701

get a buffered output or higher current discrete ss amp - then eq if desired - don't forget the K701 requires both higher V drive and higher current than most other popular headphones

I find that my 336i and my K701 is a great match. I love the combination, and am extremely happy with the overall sound profile (including the lower frequencies). And things only got better as the K701 saw several hundred hours of use.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #24 of 33
I fully expected someone would be along with "DarkVoice 336i has great synergy with K701”, ect.

But it is simple fact that it isn't even "Hi Fidelity" ( 20-20KHz frequency response ) with a bass rolloff that would start @ ~ 80 Hz with 62 Ohm K701 given the 30 uF coupling C found by PinkFloyd - according to Headroom’s impedance plots there isn’t even a K701 bass impedance peak that could give a compensating bass response peak with the expected near current drive conditions of a low feedback OTL tube amp

enjoy, but expect skepticism for the claim K701 is well matched to the 336i - the objective technical specs are clear that this matchup isn't any better in the bass than cheap bookshelf speakers

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #25 of 33
The Bada hybrid might be beefy enough for the job but a better idea would be to scrap the 701's for another set of cans like Denon D5000 ...IMO that would be a cheaper solution in the long run. The K701/702's have very few amps that really drive them well let alone bring what little bass they do have to the forefront. The M^3 with Bass boost might be a good amp to try.

2 cents FWIW.

Peete.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitsu763 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is an amp out there that can bring K701 bass impact to the level of an HD650.

I'll have to give it try...

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #29 of 33
Heed as we all know is known for the synergy you speak of and I read lots of impressions of the M^3 that Erik and some of the others mentioned, indicating it would work well too.

I know, thanks for nothing.

Oh, I forgot. I dont know if it is quite as bass centric but the Graham Slee Solo seems to always get great comments when paired with the 701.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back