Best amp in $5000-$10000 range for K1000's ?
Mar 19, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #32 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
Any Art Audio (www.artaudio.com) SET amp. You'll thank me.

DHTs man, Directly Heated Triodes! They're the way to go! Anyone who's into DHTs in any form, SET or push pull, is okay by me. I wonder how many people ever listen to people like you and me? So many people won't consider SETs because they don't consider them technically accomplished, or they can't get past the stereotypes of the sound signature (great midrange and resolution, but only okay imaging, bass, and treble). A well designed SET cannot be bettered by any amp, except for a well designed push pull amp using Directly Heated Triodes, IMO.

I like them so much I'm spending $1000 to build my own push pull 2A3 amp this May. You know how much a commercial amp using $1,000 in parts would cost? Probably around $5,000 and possibly more depending on the company. I'm getting a $5000 amp! But it's $1,000! Man, I love DIY.

Edit: Upon visting Art Audio's site, I can no longer recommend all of their amps, only the ones with 845s, the KR 300B variants, or 300Bs. I never realized Art Audio made amps with anything other than DHTs. I've never seen any of their other amps covered. I personally would go for the Quartet, if I had the cash. 845s are great tubes, and you get the benefits of push pull operation plus the added bonus of 45 w/ch. That's a lot of power for a DHT amp! My 2A3 push pull will have about 8 w/ch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back