best amp + headphone for rock music
Sep 18, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
on looks alone the dt770 is one ugly headphone, but that audiovalve amp is sweet!

Hmmm...yes, by the looks/sound/inverse rule, one must wonder what is wrong with the RKV. Quote:

out of the three mentioned, is there a clear winner for comfort?

Yes -- the DT770. Definitely not the Grado. Not so sure about the AKG's, but...pretty sure (from what I know, which -- about the AKG's -- is all second hand). Quote:

Originally posted by greenhorn
Please enlighten me: some mention the "Beyer DT 770" and some mention the "Beyer DT 770 PRO"... Are these different models, or it's a one and only model (the one to be seen on Dr. Meier's website and which has the word "professional" printed on it)?
confused.gif

No, we're just being lazy, leaving off the "pro". Quote:

You say that "There are 250 and 600 ohm versions of the beyer dt770 pro". On Dr. Meier's website only the 250 ohm seems to be available. Could you, please, elaborate a bit on the differences between the two impedance versions? Where would be the 600 ohms available (if it's better than the 250 ohms)?

The 600 ohm version is older. Mine is well burned in and sounds superior to the 250 ohm one (which is fairly new), but that is probably burn-in. It is put forth by Beyer, themselves, that the new driver is superior to the old one, so by all means, get the new one.

However, if you really want to get the old one, there's a couple of online professional places like Full Compass that still have them. Try here, and just check with all of them until you find one that has them in stock and at a good price (none of them will probably compete with Jan, though). Quote:

Finally, you think the Beyer 770 ...are definitely better than the Beyer DT 931 or 831 for rock, do you?

Jury is still out on this. The highs are better on the 931/831, so it depends on your tastes. If you want a more upfront sound, go with one of these. I'm more of a laid-back guy, so I prefer the DT770's.

Sep 19, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Yes -- the DT770. Definitely not the Grado. Not so sure about the AKG's, but...pretty sure (from what I know, which -- about the AKG's -- is all second hand).

Depends on the shape of your head. Mine happens to be shaped like an egg, and I find the Beyer's to hurt the top of my noggin after awhile. I end up shifting the headband back and forth to get some relief. The RS-1's on the other hand were the most unobtrusive headphones I've ever worn after working the earpads in with fabric softener.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #34 of 34
How about the Grado SR 225. Headroom says they are the best. Has anyone had any experience with them? I just got this headphone ( sr225) today, but they are not burned yet so I really have not had a chance to do some critical listening. I have the Sugden Headmaster amp. I will let you know how the combo sounds after a couple of days of listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back