Best amp for under £150
Apr 3, 2005 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Electric_Mofo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Im new to this forum and I am looking for a highly recomended amp to power my HD595 and Grado sr225. Its hard Looking for the right amp and because I live in london it is very difficult to get hold of one. Ive been looking at the mini moy, supermacro or something like that and the one from headroom. But I would strongly appreciated the opinion of people here
Thanx!

Apr 3, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
If you want an amp that absolutely kicks ass and costs under £150 the G&W J1 cannot be beaten IMO, it's a corker. I haven't got any experience of the mini moy or supermicro so can't comment but if you want a seriously good sounding amp for a seriously low price then I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the J1.

If you don't trust ebay this firm sells them for £110 I bought mine from ebay and it arrived 2 days later..... not from the ebay seller Paul linked to above, I believe you have to pay an additional £33 for shipping are are liable for any customs charges with that one..... I bought mine from an ebayer who ships from within the UK and it was £100 all in.

Are you looking for a small portable amp? If so the J1 isn't suitable as it's built like a battleship and weighs 2.5 kilo..... if you are looking for a small portable amp then consider the MINT, it's tiny but packs quite a punch for its size.. a super little portable amp.

Mike.

Thanx! I will definatly take this one into consideration

Apr 3, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 52
i love this place
smily_headphones1.gif

i too am looking for an amp and as i live in the uk i have had lots of trouble trying to figure out what to get!!!

i think i will get the amp you recommended pink flloyd. i have ms-1s and am about to have akg k501s...i assume it will be fine for the ms-1s, will it be ok for the k501s?

Thanks so much for the help!

Terry.

Apr 3, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 52
smily_headphones1.gif
I can recommend the G&W TW-J1 as well.

If you live in the UK, go for the model offered by the British eBay seller for 100 British Pounds.
If you live outside the UK, like me, go for the model for 69 British Pounds plus 33 pounds shipping. The Chinese seller is very helpful and reliable. Shipping took only three days from Hong Kong to Germany.
For EU citizens VAT and Customs fees might occur, but keep in mind that shipping from UK anywhere abroad is also 24 British Pounds with Royal Mail.

I'll try to do my first review on the G&W TW-J1 as soon as
I have some additional headphones and amps for comparison.
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 52
hi again,

i have been looking around for this british ebayer who sells the amp for £100 all in but cant seem to find him???

Can only find the seller linked below.

Am i missing something? or is he not selling them anymore?
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 52
confused.gif
eBay warning on G&W TW-J1

I feel obliged to inform everybody interested in this amp that I received this warning from eBay.co.uk:

"The following listing:

5762961845 - G&W TW-J1 Headphone Earphone Amplifier

was removed because the intellectual property rights owner notified eBay that the listing infringes its copyright, trade
mark or other rights. Therefore we strongly urge you not to complete the transaction.

You can get more information on eBay's cooperation with intellectual property rights owners at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confide...rams-vero.html

If you have already sent your payment, there's a good chance that the situation can be resolved. If you haven't received
the item yet, you can email the seller and ask for a refund of your payment.

If this can not be worked out amicably you may wish to contact your Bank or the payment service provider, they may be in a
position to reverse the payment.

If you have already paid for the item and you cannot satisfactorily resolve this situation with the seller or retrieve
your money, please go to the following page for more information on how to resolve this situation:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/buying_safely.html

If you have paid for the item through PayPal, you may find the following page useful:

/csg/p?http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/web...p-info-outside

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this issue.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc"

I wonder if this actually means that I bought something not working properly
confused.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 52
I got that warning too....but I got the amp yesterday and its absolutely fine. Pinkfloyd is right, it is excellent...especially for that money!!
Ebay have probably removed it because he used 'Sennheiser,Grado, AGK' in his title.
Worth noting that the ebay seller and the company Pinkfloyd linked to are one and the same.

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tezzla
i love this place
smily_headphones1.gif

i too am looking for an amp and as i live in the uk i have had lots of trouble trying to figure out what to get!!!

i think i will get the amp you recommended pink flloyd. i have ms-1s and am about to have akg k501s...i assume it will be fine for the ms-1s, will it be ok for the k501s?

Thanks so much for the help!

Terry.

Hi Terry,

Some people have reported that there is hiss when partnering the J1 with low impedance 'phones (32 ohm) The lowest impedance 'phones I have at my disposal are the Audio Technica W-100 (40 ohm) and there is no sign of any hiss when using them with the J1...... one thing I can say, the J1 and Senn HD-600's are a match made in heaven...... it's a pity I can't try it with all headphones but I'm sure there are others here who have tried it with 32 ohms who are in a better position to comment on this "hiss"

Mike.

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
confused.gif
eBay warning on G&W TW-J1

I feel obliged to inform everybody interested in this amp that I received this warning from eBay.co.uk:

"The following listing:

5762961845 - G&W TW-J1 Headphone Earphone Amplifier

was removed because the intellectual property rights owner notified eBay that the listing infringes its copyright, trade
mark or other rights. Therefore we strongly urge you not to complete the transaction.

You can get more information on eBay's cooperation with intellectual property rights owners at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confide...rams-vero.html

If you have already sent your payment, there's a good chance that the situation can be resolved. If you haven't received
the item yet, you can email the seller and ask for a refund of your payment.

If this can not be worked out amicably you may wish to contact your Bank or the payment service provider, they may be in a
position to reverse the payment.

If you have already paid for the item and you cannot satisfactorily resolve this situation with the seller or retrieve
your money, please go to the following page for more information on how to resolve this situation:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/buying_safely.html

If you have paid for the item through PayPal, you may find the following page useful:

/csg/p?http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/web...p-info-outside

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this issue.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc"

I wonder if this actually means that I bought something not working properly
confused.gif

hmmm very interesting, did your amp come with a glossy user manual written in chinese and does it have a white warranty void if removed sticker on the rear of the amp (chinese writing) ? I doubt anyone would be producing fake J1's and selling them for £69
confused.gif
The ebayer I bought mine from is apparantly the official UK distributor of the amp, maybe he could throw more light on the situation I'll fire an e-mail over to him.

Mike.

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 52
confused.gif
So far I have troubles with this amp driving my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohms impedance).
The sound is transparent, fine resolution but the bass is thin, bass impact or "punch" non existing.

May be if have to burn in the amp first or change the source,
but this eBay warning makes me think there might be something else to consider.
A pity I send back my Senn HD650 (307 Ohms impedance),
as PinkFloyd loves the combo with the HD600.
confused.gif

Perhaps it'll be best if I open this amp and compare the parts with the photos of PinkFloyd's amp. At least I can get the impression if it's a fake or not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back