Best amp for Ultrasone Proline 750 bellow $300?
Mar 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

vic1890

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

Do forgive me if I sound rather illiterate in this matter, but I'm a newbie here. I just recently procured the Proline 750 - after so much research, mainly from this forum - and am amazed with how it sounds.

BUT, and as I understand this is going to eat my wallet, I practically know it can do much better with proper amplification and a clean source.

I'm making do with a makeshift setup for now - since I'm into photography, and if any of you guys are as well, you'd know how much more that eats on the wallet than the beauty of music :p

this is my setup for now: 5th gen iPod> iPod Universal Dock Line Out> cmoy amp> 750 Proline.

I'm highly considering getting my ipod modded into an iMod, and then getting one of those lovely docks that ALO offers. But, that'll take sometime.

For now, i think the weakest link is the Cmoy (would I be right?) and therefore, splurge to change that first. What amp would have the best synergy, as you guys call it, with the Prolines that's probably below $300 or £150?

Also, I've been irking over this quite sometime, would you guys know if the ipod dock has its own DAC/amp in it?, is it a true line out? - because, if it were a true line out, there shouldn't be any clipping that is native to the crappy amp inside the ipod, should there?

Oh, and I should mention, that although I appreciate bass, I appreciate it where it is warranted. So head pounding bass is not my cup of tea. I usually listen to classical music, and film soundtracks (orchestral) and value subtle details more.

Any help in pointing me to the right direction would be appreciated.

Also, I'm in the UK and I can't seem to find amps so widespread here as it is in the US. If you know any retailers here, that would be helpful as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 26
bump

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 26
I enjoy my 750's with my mini^3 amp, which is in the 100~130$ price range. It's a DIY amp and that is around the price for a built one by someone else. It supposedly competes favorably against some 200~300$ amps, but I cant comment since I haven't compared them myself.
I can say that many others enjoy their mini^3 too!

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 26
Well, welcome to Head-Fi and congratulations on your Proline 750 purchase, and I am "very" sorry for your wallet, especially since you're into photography which is another wallet destroyer.

You are in for a treat as your 750 ages with burn-in. My recommendation for your amp needs based on my experience would be any products by Meier Audio (Meier-Audio). It's EU based and the synergy that my 750 has with the Corda Move amp which I own is incredible. You have a choice of No-DAC/amps (Headsix, XXS) and DAC/amp (2Move) that are portable as well as a No-DAC/amp (Arietta) which is non-portable that fits your financial size. You can check the numerous threads here in Head-fi for the many followers of Meier sound.

Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, welcome to Head-Fi and congratulations on your Proline 750 purchase, and I am "very" sorry for your wallet, especially since you're into photography which is another wallet destroyer.

You are in for a treat as your 750 ages with burn-in. My recommendation for your amp needs based on my experience would be any products by Meier Audio (Meier-Audio). It's EU based and the synergy that my 750 has with the Corda Move amp which I own is incredible. You have a choice of No-DAC/amps (Headsix, XXS) and DAC/amp (2Move) that are portable as well as a No-DAC/amp (Arietta) which is non-portable that fits your financial size. You can check the numerous threads here in Head-fi for the many followers of Meier sound.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Worldman - and yes, photography is a real wallet eater. The prices of some of the lenses make the prices here at head-fi actually seem 'reasonable' :p

I've burnt in the 750s for nearly 10 days now, that should give about 150 - 200 hours of usage, and verily, I've noticed the increase in sound quality. Do you think more burn in is required? or that with it, the quality would increase?

I actually prefer a desktop amp, so the Arietta you mentioned seems like a good choice. The Cantate seems beautiful though - any experiences with that?

also, what about tube amps? their classic look appeals to me so much that I find it hard to resist, but as I've read around, people seem to say that they work well with high impedance cans rather than low ones like the 750s, is that absolutely true?

ahh the choices!

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy my 750's with my mini^3 amp, which is in the 100~130$ price range. It's a DIY amp and that is around the price for a built one by someone else. It supposedly competes favorably against some 200~300$ amps, but I cant comment since I haven't compared them myself.

hi ruzz,

Thanks for the input. I checked out the mini 3 - looks good, though i haven't ran a search on the forums. Googled it quickly, but couldn't find where to get it, should I want to - that seems to be the main problem for me really. Finding the amps around here.

Where did you get yours? if you don't mind me asking.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how would you compare the mini3 to the millet hybrid?

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 26
Well, if you have done 200 hours of burn-in, then it would be safe to consider it almost done. Let another 100 hours burn and you are good to go.

As for the Arietta, I am afraid I have not tried it. But, according to many here, Meier products share similar SQ which has a very strong following and it is said that given the same price, a desktop model provides better SQ than a portable model. Regarding tube amps, you will have to rely on other experts since that's an area out of my range.

Again, the 750 is a fabulous headphone. I am listening to it out of my Corda Move even as I am typing. Enjoy!

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you have done 200 hours of burn-in, then it would be safe to consider it almost done. Let another 100 hours burn and you are good to go.

As for the Arietta, I am afraid I have not tried it. But, according to many here, Meier products share similar SQ which has a very strong following and it is said that given the same price, a desktop model provides better SQ than a portable model. Regarding tube amps, you will have to rely on other experts since that's an area out of my range.

Again, the 750 is a fabulous headphone. I am listening to it out of my Corda Move even as I am typing. Enjoy!

Aah, I shall research a bit into tubes before splurging my money. The Ultrasones have quite a flat response in my opinion, but some times (very rarely) they lack the body of the mid range. Since the Meiers do have a warm sound, this should rectify it, and is certainly something i'm considering when I have the cash.

tubes emphasize on the mids too - or so I've heard - hence me wanting to get that (besides its allure) for my ultrasones.

Ah, the pain of waiting!

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 26
IMO tubes and ultrasones are a good combo.

I owned the PL2500 and It paired well with my PPX3 tube amp. I am receiving a pair of PL750's tomorrow, and I will be using them with m new BADA PH-12 tube amp. I will let you know how it sounds.

I think the Millet Hybrid Max is the best choice for you. It offers lower gain tubes, which suits the 40 ohm ultrasones well. It is also a DIY amp, and is pretty cheap to have built by someone around here.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO tubes and ultrasones are a good combo.

I owned the PL2500 and It paired well with my PPX3 tube amp. I am receiving a pair of PL750's tomorrow, and I will be using them with m new BADA PH-12 tube amp. I will let you know how it sounds.

I think the Millet Hybrid Max is the best choice for you. It offers lower gain tubes, which suits the 40 ohm ultrasones well. It is also a DIY amp, and is pretty cheap to have built by someone around here.

aah i'll look around for the Millet, in the meanwhile, your impressions of the Ultrasones with the Bada would be great to hear
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 26
Bump.

I'm currently listening to the Prolines 750 through a 0404USB headphone out. They sound really good, but I think they could improve with a better amp. My only complaints are sibilance on some female voices and maybe a bit recessed mids. I'm looking for reducing (or maybe eliminating) sibilance and getting a warmer sound. I listened to the Prolines through the headphone output of an older speaker amp (ss and selling for ~300$ SH) and the sound was warmer, less aggressive, but it was too big and seemed to loose some detail.

I've read around a bit and the Corda 2Move seems a good choice, but there are two things holding me back:

1. HeadphoneAddict writes

Quote:

What surprised me was listening to Diana Krall - the PICO just sounds more natural and transparent with songs from "Girl in the Other Room". This album gets included every time I do a review because it is mastered with some sibilance or harsh highs still remaining, so it makes a good test album to see how the amps or headphones handle it. While the Pico handles this the best, just above the Predator, I thought the 2MOVE was the most irritating of the amps with this partitcular album, and this hurt it's score.

So maybe the 2Move is not the best match for the Prolines? I think I've listened a song on that album for testing sibilance and the Prolines were quite awfull with some S-es. I don't know how badly produced that album is, but playing the same song on speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 I think) was "silky smooth".
Predator and Pico seem good alternatives but they're out of my budget for now. I also live in Europe and VAT + taxes makes them even more expensive.

2. Could Arietta be better? It sells for the same price as the 2Move but lacks DAC portion and isn't portable. I don't necessarily need portable (although I have an iPod that I some time use around the house) but the DAC part of the 2Move could be useful. But I could get Arietta and sell the 0404USB (as the phone amp is the main reason I got it) and use the money to get an internal soundcard like E-MU 1212 for example.

I've also read about the Little Dot line, but I'm not sure what would be the best match for the Prolines or how do they compare to Cordas.

May 6, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 26
I have the 2500's for a year now and i always found them sibilant too, until i read about the tape mod. I gave it a try, and it truly changed the way i see that phones. Cant find the link for that mod but if you give it a try, you wont be disappointed. highly recomended!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back