Best Amp for Shure SE530 and iPhone combo?
Apr 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dkaplan74

New Head-Fier
Looking for the best sounding amp for use with the Shure SE530 and iPhone/ipod combination. I am assuming portable would be the way to go, but would be open to non-portable as well. Thanks.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 11
I would rather not use an amp for portable setup. I'll use my Pico at the office, basically whenever & wherever I am using my notebook.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaplan74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about with something like the iqube or sr-71a?

I don't have an iqube, so I can not comment on it. I do own a SR-71A and as I said, the difference is about 5-10% improvement. Same thing with my Mustang. But if I use a full size headphone, it does make a big difference but still no comparison to a full size amp (portable vs desktop amp).

I use iPhone 3G>LOD>Mustang/Blackbird>Westone 3. If I use my ESW10JPN instead of Weston 3, the improvement is probable around 25% better. Better soundstage, tighter and well controlled bass and out of this world mids.

For IEM, I will pass on the amp most of the time unless I know I will be sitting down for more than couple hours.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 11
If you want a portable amp, go buy one! I have one - I just dont think it does much and I dont bother anymore. (for shure e530 iems off a 2g ipod) I have LODs and all that stuff too.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Don't bother, just run it out of your DAP and enjoy! Use the money for new desktop amp or new headphones or new MUSIC!

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 11
I have the SE530, an iPod Touch, and a Pico. I agree with everyone else here, amping the iPod/iPhone just isn't worth it. Enjoy what you have!

The Pico is a damn good source out of a computer, though, if you ever have a need for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back