best amp for sextetts?
May 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recomend something powerful, smooth, refined, resolving, and transparent. ha ha

go with the best you can buy from singlepower, you won't be disapointed. I agree with you about the 332. very sharp, and too much force. the 336 is a little smoother though. but seriously, pool some money together and get an MPX3, and never turn back. that would make any AKG sing to high heaven

you also couldnt go wrong with the SDS...

I'm concerned that the MPX3 might not be able to drive my other AKG's -the K501's well.
People have reported that the non SLAM version cannot drive the K701's, and it is my understanding that they both headphones have a similar difficulty to drive.

Can anyone comment on how the K501 and K701 react to amping?

May 11, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm concerned that the MPX3 might not be able to drive my other AKG's -the K501's well.

in my mildly humble opinion the comments made on the "standard" mpx3's inability to drive anything (save the k1000, and a couple orthodynamics) stem entirely from people who want to listen loud. If you listen at a level close to an average conversation or slightly above the mpx3 can handle anything. if you listen louder, your going to fuxor your ears (if they are not already.)

i have had (formerly) my MPX3 up to about 95db average with every headphone I own (save the R10) and it works well, but dynamic range did not agree with grados. I suppose the good thing is that most music I wanted to crank had no dynamic range anyways. listening at 65db gives you more headroom, and protects the ears.

May 11, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty interested in this myself, only for a lower price tag (<200$), anybody have some experience with a LDII+, Figaro or 336 with the sextett? I currently use my Zero DAC/AMP.

LDII++ is alright, though I'm aching for a upgrade. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels as if it is holding the sextetts back.

May 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to choose from a Figaro, 336i, little dot MKIII, or MKIV. Which would give me the best results WITHOUT tube rolling? (offcourse this is an advantage for the future, but I want an amp now, which is good stock, maybe tube roll in 6months). Anyone any idea??

I've heard that the Little Dot's come with better stock tubes than the Darkvoices.
But even so, all stock tubes are
evil_smiley.gif

The Cayin HA-1A comes with Electro-Harmonix power tubes, and i think those might be considered decent-ish tubes, (though the Gold Pin version is way better)
Not sure about the stock driver tubes, they seem like they're proabably average at best.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cay...olling-262461/

May 15, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LDII++ is alright, though I'm aching for a upgrade. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels as if it is holding the sextetts back.

I totally agree with you there. The LD2++ really doesn't do the Sextett justice. I should know, I had the combo for 6+ months.

May 15, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #23 of 24
I bought the LD MKIV se, should do the sextett justice for that price. I hope it arrives next week, I will post impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back