Best amp for my budget? (Beyerdynamics)
Jan 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crashtest3@gmail.com

New Head-Fier
Currently I have beyerdynamics HT 770 pro 80, and I use it mostly with my computer and iPod.

Now, they sound fine - but would I get a better sound and better use their capabilities with a decent headphone amp? In the future I also plan to get a Sennheiser HD 650, which I know definitely needs an amp.

I don't want to spend that much on an amp at first - is there anything in the $100 range which will be an improvement over not having an amp for my iPod/computer listening?

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 9
I can not comment on how it would work with the HD650's, but my Little Dot I+ is a great match with my Beyer DT-770/80 Pros. Especially with the Sylvania Gold 408A tubes. Adds extra power, soundstage, and warmth while taming the bass just a bit. This amp can be had for less than $150 shipped. Add another $50 for the new tubes.

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Also look into the Travagan's Red
smily_headphones1.gif
I had it before my MKV and it does a good job at running the 770Pro's. You can change opamps also which is good.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 9
A $100 amp won't get you far with the HD 650. Invest in a desktop amp now if you plan to get an HD 650 later. If not you'll end up with an underpowered HD 650, a need for a new amp, and a spare amp lying around.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 9
little dot I for 770

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 9
In your price range you're fairly limited. There's an interesting looking amp for sale by Capt. Z here. He just dropped the price on it too. I've been considering this amp and for the price he's asking it looks very tempting. The specs he lists make me think this amp could drive the Senns well.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 9
I am in the same situation as you are, I actually just bought the Beyerydynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm because of recommendations from this site, and they sound great out of my iPod and laptop, but I feel like an amp will really help them out. As for <$200, the best amps I found are:

1) iBasso D2 Boa ($165)
2) Nuforce Icon Mobile ($99)

I am definitely getting at least the Nuforce, I am just waiting for more reviews/opinions to see whether the iBasso's are worth the $65 upgrade. As for the Little Dot, I heard that was a great amp, but it's no longer in production.

I would also appreciate help with amps!!!

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the same situation as you are, I actually just bought the Beyerydynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm because of recommendations from this site, and they sound great out of my iPod and laptop, but I feel like an amp will really help them out. As for <$200, the best amps I found are:

1) iBasso D2 Boa ($165)
2) Nuforce Icon Mobile ($99)

I am definitely getting at least the Nuforce, I am just waiting for more reviews/opinions to see whether the iBasso's are worth the $65 upgrade. As for the Little Dot, I heard that was a great amp, but it's no longer in production.

I would also appreciate help with amps!!!

Since when has it been out of production? I just got mine about a month ago, not even that long ago. According to the LD site they are still in stock and ready to order. It is a great amp for the DT-770/80 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back