Best amp for Massdrop 6xx under $300?
Aug 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Basshead Paul

Head-Fier
What would you recommend as the best amp for Massdrop HD6xx under $300?

I will be feeding the said amp from my PC, using Tidal, going into a Dragonfly Red dac/amp in line out mode. The Dragonfly Red is 2.1v but I'm using it for it's dac only. I want a dedicated headphone amp in the lineup too. Thanks!

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 11
If you don't mind tubes, OTL amps work well with high-impedence 'phones, so something like the Schiit Valhalla 2 might do the trick (if you can find it used...it's ~$350 new, so a bit above your price range). If you can find a Bottlehead Crack pre-assembled, that'd probably also be a good bet...it's $300 as a DIY kit, so if anyone posted one for sale it'd probably be $300 or less.

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 11
The Emotiva A-100 is a fantastic neutral A/B class speaker amp, and if you are gutsy, you can set the jumper so you can drive all 50W through cans like the 6XX. I personally tried seeing the jumpers and then set them back to add the resistors because when the full power is rubbing through the headphone jack the volume knob is way too sensitive. But some people love the full power. Even without that, $229 new is an unbelievable price for a great speaker amp that makes a great headphone amp too. Add a pair of KEF L50’s and a modius or bifrost and you have an unbelievable and flexible desktop or LR system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back