Best amp for K712's
Aug 7, 2015 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dimension

New Head-Fier
So upon arriving to where I moved from a month ago I decided to take a long route to my friends because I kinda missed the place and low and behold I walked by the place I got drunk at the day before I left for a jam party there was an open mic night and the security guy was like "yo! I have your headphones!" I pretty much lost my mind because I didn't lose my babies after all!! Faith restored? I think so...

Anyways!

Now that I don't have to spend $700 I was thinking of how I'd like to try my first headphone amp for these lovelies so here I am! I'm looking for another k7xx lovers opinion on what amps really compliment these because I have heard many rumours on how they don't sound amazing until they get a specific amp (which I find hard to believe) so do tell! I mostly am mixing and producing IDM (look up tipper - homage sliders) but I listen to a wide range of music but would prefer something more toward music production than listening...

Have at er!
D

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 4
The two amps I've heard the K712s with are the DacMini CX (which I own) and the ALO Audio Pan Am (which I don't own). Both sound fantastic. I suspect that any amp with enough power (let's use 1 W output as a baseline) will probably sound pretty good with the K712s. I'm not sure what the optimum pairing is, though, and that may be down to personal taste. The DacMini is very neutral, but has a good all-around presence. The Pan Am sounded warmer, and I would have gotten that, but I'm against using tubes for personal reasons.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Of the amps I have heard with the K7xx in that price-range, the Lyr 2 and Gustard H10 were a great pairing, as both saitisfied the hungry current-requirement of the AKG quite well. I would imagine without having trying them that the Lake People/Vio gear would be well suited to the AKGs. I am currently listening to them on the Oppo HA-1 (not mine), and they are sounding quite well-balanced, with plenty of weight in the bass, precise imaging, and clear resolution, and more than enough headroom on high gain. But the Lyr and H10 were just as well in their own way. I liked what the hybrid topology did for the AKGs which reminds me of the Ember ad well. In retrospect, the stock op amp in the H10 were a tad too dark for the already slighty slightly warmer K712/K7XX. I heard more detail in the H10 but more holographic sweetness in the Lyr. The O2, when I tried it, was not a good pairing with this headphone, despite that I liked it with the Q701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back