Best amp for HD650
Dec 8, 2008 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Samjones

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

So I'm gonna buy a pair of Sennheiser HD650s due to all the lovely things I've heard about them; 100% decided on these phones.

What I would like some help with is do I need an amp for them? I will need this to be a portable amp as I will be taking them with me out (yes I know they are mega open) but I'll stilll be using them plenty at home.

Budget is £220/$330

So guys, tell me what you know!
L3000.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 29
I use a Corda 2Move with my HD650 and I'm very happy with the setup. If the source delivers you get incredible deep bass and guitars sound very bad ass on it. I use the high gain & high voltage settings in the 2Move.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by king.mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Corda 2Move with my HD650 and I'm very happy with the setup. If the source delivers you get incredible deep bass and guitars sound very bad ass on it. I use the high gain & high voltage settings in the 2Move.

That was my old home rig, and I must say that it sounded very good! I only gave up on it to get a Meier Cantate, my first stationary amp that sounds even better than my 2Move, but with the same sound signature.

Very neutral sound, with clear highs, detailed mids and deep and tight bass.

Meier and Sennheiser just have a great sinergy, trust me.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 29
i've had predator, pico, 2move to drive hd650. currently, i am using d3 python with hd600.
to my ears, hd650 sounded the best when driven by pico. however, a lot of other head-fi members prefer predator over pico for their hd650.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 29
First off, cheers for all the input guys!
So, I took a look at the new Decware amp, looks pretty good, although maybe a tad outta the price range, but definitely a contender.
Pico is like my dream, I literally have dreamt about it (I know I'm not alone here) so I think thats like an aim for me, I know that amp.. well, that amp "poons" alot of other amps out there.

Actually, the Meier Audio 2Move is the most likely candidate going, £155 so it's in the price range and you guys said good things about it, two of you! I know the HD650 gotta nice sound stage and I notice neither of you mentioned it? Otherwise tight bass, with mean guitars = Loverly

About the Predator thats a little too much for me, but as any profolic head-fi user, if the price justifys the means then ****** the price
biggrin.gif

Also, I'm waiting on my Tomahawk to arrive for use with my SE530s so I'll see how RSA fares as amp makers before I fully consider the Predator.
Thanks!

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, cheers for all the input guys!
So, I took a look at the new Decware amp, looks pretty good, although maybe a tad outta the price range, but definitely a contender.
Pico is like my dream, I literally have dreamt about it (I know I'm not alone here) so I think thats like an aim for me, I know that amp.. well, that amp "poons" alot of other amps out there.

Actually, the Meier Audio 2Move is the most likely candidate going, £155 so it's in the price range and you guys said good things about it, two of you! I know the HD650 gotta nice sound stage and I notice neither of you mentioned it? Otherwise tight bass, with mean guitars = Loverly

About the Predator thats a little too much for me, but as any profolic head-fi user, if the price justifys the means then ****** the price
biggrin.gif

Also, I'm waiting on my Tomahawk to arrive for use with my SE530s so I'll see how RSA fares as amp makers before I fully consider the Predator.
Thanks!

Haha... Head-Fi is in this chaps blood...

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to decide on a portable amp for me as well. I am looking at the ones listed and the minibox E+ or the Graham Slee Voyager.

What headphones do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha... Head-Fi is in this chaps blood...

I know
L3000.gif
... Help!

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 29
I know using power as a deciding factor is always the thing to do, however it should always be high on the list for a high impedance headphone, but in this case I would go for the amp with the most balls, even to the poin of sacrificing run time.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones do you have?

I currently have the Westone 3...My source will be the 6th gen 120gb ipod through an ipod LOD (made by barqy)

(amp ?) > LOD ipod cable > Westone 3

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know using power as a deciding factor is always the thing to do, however it should always be high on the list for a high impedance headphone, but in this case I would go for the amp with the most balls, even to the poin of sacrificing run time.

Seems like you are talking about Decware and portaphile amp?

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 29
Dec 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 29
Not sure what you are using for a source but you might consider using the internal amp of a CD deck. I use a Marantz CD5001 and just plug my 650's directly in and it powers them well. Have never had the need to turn it up past 40% of volume capacity.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back