Best amp for HD595
Nov 4, 2006 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ipaqman2005

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am going to purchase some Senn. hd595s and wanted to know what the best amp is to power them. I will be using my ipod as the main source for music and would need an amp to plug into the ipod. What would be my best option. I have $250 to spend on a new amp.

thanks,
ipaqman
280smile.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 18
IMHO, a used headroom microAmp is $250.....go for that! It's portable and has crossfeed.....not to mention goes great with Sennheisers.

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 18
yah i was looking at the Headroom Micro AMP. Whats the difference between the micro amp and the micro DAC? Also, I'm new to the whole headphone and amp thing... i'm just used to using my Shure E3C's with my ipod, but how do i use the micro Amp with the senn. 595s with my ipod? Are there any cables I would need, or does the amp just plug into the ipod?

Thanks for your help.

much appreciated.

ipaqman
600smile.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkies
One is an AMP one is a DAC

Thanks, wanker.

Even though I am no expert, I'll try to chip in my two cents from a layman's perspective:

A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. It takes binary data (zeros and ones) and converts it into an analog signal.

An amplifier will then amplify this signal so that it can be pushed through headphones or speakers.

You can only use a DAC if you have a source that is capable of producing a digital signal. Your PC can do this - you can use the USB connection with something like the MicroDAC. If your soundcard has a digital out, you can buy an optical cable or a coax cable to use it with your MicroDAC.

The DAC does not amplify the signal - you will need an amp for that.

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 18
yeah....all digital sound sources have their own DACs (be it CD players or sound cards). The reason why you might want to get a dedicated DAC later (like the microDAC), is that it will sound better then your source's DAC. Since I've been on this site for a month, I'm already starting to look at getting my own DAC
wink.gif
You need the microAmp first. If and when you get the microDAC, that stack will sound SWEEET through a laptop.
600smile.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 18
also....cables for the microAmp. Just need one mini to mini (for the ipod's line out to the microAmp's line in)

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 18
I would suggest you not worry too much about getting "the best." For three reasons:
1. There's no one single "best." There are lots of different opinions.

2. By seeking "the best," you're opening yourself up to neverending escalation. You know: "for $250 you can get xyz, but for just a little more you can get abc...and then you trick it out with the ghi opamps and the jkl power supply..." This kind of thing gets badly out of hand on a regular basis around here; if you're at all on a budget, do your best to resist it.

3. The HD595 doesn't need a really high-end amp to sound good. Your iPod drives it very well already, and because it places pretty modest demands on an amp, in reality every amp you can get will sound good with it. There will be amp-to-amp variations in tonal signature and bass power, but nobody but you will know which of those variations is "best" for you. (And it's extremely possible that by the time you fasten down on what the right sound is for you, you'll have discovered that it comes from some other headphone than the HD595...and that once you have that headphone your amp search starts all over again.)
So what I suggest is that you get yourself an amp that is widely recognized as good, without trying to go for the ultimate. The happy side-effect of this is that it also won't break the bank. My personal nomination would be the Go-Vibe V5, but there seem to be a number of other well-regarded candidates at the under-$100 price point these days.

Cables: You'll need to purchase separately a cable to connect your iPod to your amp. You can connect either through the dock connector or through the headphone jack. Connecting through the dock connector tends to be the preferred method around here, but connecting through the headphone jack really does work just fine* despite the considerable amount of FUD on the subject.

Still, let's say you want to connect through the dock connector. There are two ways to do it. One is to use a standard "mini-to-mini" cable along with an adaptor that converts the dock connector to a minijack, and the other is to use a specialty cable that has a miniplug on one end and a dock connector on the other. (I'll list specifics in a moment.)

Another thing I would encourage you to add to your rig is the Grado mini-to-1/4" adaptor. Modest-priced amps come with 1/8" minijacks, while your HD595 comes with a 1/4" plug. "Yes, but it also came with this little miniplug-to-1/4 inch jack adaptor," I hear you say. True, but the two plugged together put a bit of physical stress on the amp's output jack that could eventually result in damage, so you'll buy yourself some peace of mind, and possibly longer amp life, by using the Grado adaptor instead.

So let's add up the budget version of this system (exclusive of shipping, tax, etc.):
- Go-Vibe V5 $75
- SendStation PocketDock with line-out $30
- Cardas 6" mini-to-mini cable $14
- Grado mini-to-1/4" adaptor $15
Total: $134 + shipping/handling/tax (plus a battery). Not bad!

Perhaps you want to go a little upscale. You'll get more performance** out of the Go-Vibe by adding an external AC adaptor. And the dock-to-mini cables from AudioLineOut.com sound great and look great too.

So the higher-budget-but-still-not-insane version of this system might look like:
- Go-Vibe V5 $75
- Elpac PSU $33
- ALO Cryo Dock $85
- Grado mini-to-1/4 $15
Total: $208 plus shipping/handling/tax/battery.

That's going to be a nice system. Perhaps not the ultimate, and certainly not the most prestigious, but you can see that after shipping, etc., you're going to be pretty closely pushing $250 without even trying hard. And it's very questionable to me whether it's worthwhile to spend any more than this amping the HD595 in any case.

*[size=xx-small]At least in the USA; in Europe with volume-limited iPods, the output level of the headphone is compromised.[/size]
**[size=xx-small]How much more is subject to a) what headphones you're driving and b) general debate like everything else on Head-Fi. I haven't yet tried the Elpac specifically with the HD595, but can do it Monday, and then I'll update this post.[/size]

Nov 4, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Certainly for someone starting off, they can save money by getting a cheaper amp then the MicroAmp....won't ever disagree with that!

But one of the reasons why I like my MicroAmp for my 595s is the crossfeed switch. It does make a difference for the 595s. It's also good for other high impedence headphones (mainly the HD580 or HD600 or the k501). I don't plan on upgrading it as my main headphone amp anytime soon....since it's sound signature is pretty uncolored (so it plays nice with many different headphones). It'll be able to play pretty much any headphone. But I am getting upgraditis from joining this site.....working constantly on better source equipment now (ie CD player and dedicated DAC for mp3s).

Nov 4, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 18
Technically you want to plug your amp into a line-out(an unamped signal) of your DAP, I don't know how iPods work, so I don't know if it has one?
You can plug the amp into the headphone-out, many people do, this is amping an amped signal being degraded by the inline volume.

Nov 5, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 18
Good point about best-atis...

You might want to look at 2 types of amps : portable or AC-powered.

Depends if you want to go around with those 595s of yours (not recommended, they are fairly flimsy), or you want to keep them unamped on the road and get an amp for the house.

Dont forget, the Ipod + portable amp + Hd595 will be cumbersome and heavy.

There are many options around, I wont list them beacause 1) I dont have any so I can't comment on them 2) you can fairly esily find them in the forums.

If you want to go for an AC-powered amp, there are many many options available, but I two that seem to come back alot in the forums are the Headfive and the Little Dot Micro. Having the Headfive, I can tell you it has great synergy with the 595s. Gives a pretty clean sound with a touch of warmth.

Good luck finding!

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 18
hi guys i'm new here and signed up cuz this forum is crazy-filled with info!
smily_headphones1.gif

infact you could go as far as to say that i'm a little overwhelmed.
wink.gif

so here's my situation:
i ordered the hd-595 50 ohm just recently and found this thread to help me buy an amp. now i want to buy one that's pretty decent but not the "best" because well my wallet ain't too fat if u know what i mean. :p

i was thinking about between LDM+ and go-vibe v5 (mentioned from above). Do you think these are considered worthy first-timer amps to get for the 595's? and if so which one is more bang for the buck i suppose? I really want the HeadFive because of the great value but i don't think i can still shell out that kind of money. (595+HeadFive= alot of money lol)

I mostly listen to music from my computer and i don't really have any type of portable player. i think it's important that i note that i have a
Yamaha HTR 5790 which is a high-end AV receiver. Now if i have that receiver does that mean i really don't need to purchase a separte amp b/c it's good enough or do i need a dedicated one?

Thanks you guys are so helpful i hope someone can find me a good answer.

Oh and one last thing. If i do go for the Go Vibe do i get low or high gain version?

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 18
Hey,
You mentioned the headroom microAmp. So...I was thinking, being new to the whole head-fi world as these two gents are, that a solution that would work well for both of them(and be flexible and portable) would be the Total Bithead(http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ead-clear.php). It is a combined DAC and Amp, and will connect to both a USB port and the headphone out of your iPod(or the line-out at the bottom of the iPod if you buy a cable). After some indecision about how much I liked it, I've decided I definitely do. The most noticable difference for me is how it livens up the music. I think it's a change you appreciate more over time, not necessarily right away. And crossfeed is nice too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So the higher-budget-but-still-not-insane version of this system might look like:
- Go-Vibe V5 $75
- Elpac PSU $33
- ALO Cryo Dock $85
- Grado mini-to-1/4 $15
Total: $208 plus shipping/handling/tax/battery.

That's going to be a nice system. Perhaps not the ultimate, and certainly not the most prestigious, but you can see that after shipping, etc., you're going to be pretty closely pushing $250 without even trying hard. And it's very questionable to me whether it's worthwhile to spend any more than this amping the HD595 in any case.

Would that set-up sound a lot better than a bithead? I ask because it's in the same price range.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 18
I don't know how a BitHead sounds, so I can't answer that from experience, though it has a very good reputation.

However it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison in any case. If your music source is a computer, then you almost certainly want a better source than the computer's built-in sound card. The BitHead gives you that, while it would be an extra cost you'd need to add on to the rig I mentioned.

If your music source is not a computer, then you'll need some kind of analog interconnect between the source and the amp. That's $85 of the rig that I mentioned, so add that to the BitHead (or subtract it from mine) and the prices don't balance quite so neatly any more.

Also, take the Grado 1/8"->1/4" out of mine, or add it to the BitHead, to get a fair price comparison; neither amp has a 1/4" headphone jack.

Finally, the BitHead's power options are limited to its 4 AAA batteries or the 5V it can draw from the USB line. The rig I listed had $33 tied up in a 24V wall-powered power supply. With an HD595 I suspect the added benefit of the 24V Elpac to be quite minimal (I never did get around to trying that experiment, and the HD595's at the office now, so I'm mainly guessing), so you could take that out of my rig if you wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back