best amp for HD580s
Oct 3, 2002 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Earregular

New Head-Fier
Okay, this is my first post and I am going to start with a few questions. I am just getting into the headphone world and need something to start off with. I am definitely going to purchase the HD580s, so was wondering what the best amp would be to pair with them. Here are my options-

1) Creek OBH-11
2) Rega EAR
3) Headroom Little ( a little more than I want to spend but if it is better than the others I will make the leap )

I read off this post that I can have one made by numerous members, but would rather just buy a commercial one ( no offense
please ). A few posts ago, it was said that the Creek pretty much sucked with the HD600s, is this also the case with the HD580s ? I think this is all I can think of right now, thanks.

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 14
HI: Welcome to head-fi. It must be nice to be rich. Just joking. I have the senn. 580s and am going to use the META42 amp built by JMT as my choice for a amp for my 580s and portapros and koss-35s and have had other more commercial amps but was not at all satisfied with them. I think you might consider reading the amp section here and look close before you buy and especially look at the price for what you get.

Oct 3, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 14
I don't like the Creek w/HD-580 or HD-600.

Haven't heard the Rega. Haven't heard much *about* it, either.

Headroom Little is good, but their products really start to shine in the Cosmic/MAX zone. Besides, if you can afford the Little, you can afford the MG Head OTL.

Why not seek out a used Musical Fidelity X-Cans amp? It's one of the best options in the under $200 commercial amp category.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi,

I do like the 580's/Creek combo. I have one and I think it's great. Musical Fidelity XCan would also be my choice as would be the Little. Price/performance wise though, I'd go with either Musical Fidelity or Creek.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 14
The Creek does not suck...it just isn't as good as other amps for the 580 and 600. I have the latter headphone.

I would look into the MG Head DT OTL. I was not impressed with the MF X Cans. Neither was my dealer since he dumped them after listening to my Head. He now carries the ASL MG Head.

It's not perfect but it keeps the music intact. The Creek is barely noticeable a noticeable improvement over the headphone jack of my integrated. Frankly the point is a MAJOR improvement no?

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 14
"The Creek is barely a noticeable improvement over the headphone jack of my integrated. Frankly the point is a MAJOR improvement no?"

Precisely. You'll hear a respectable improvement with the X-Cans and an *enormous* one with the MG Head OTL. Go for the Head if you can!

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the responses everybody, I will have to look into where I can purchase an MG. One more thing, if I found a MF X-CAN used, is there a major difference between the X-CAN and the X-CAN v2 ?

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 14
I disagree with you guys that the Creek is a barely noticeable improvement over the headphone jack. It opened up my 580's quite nicely. I heard them with other amps and I think the Creek holds its own. A better source has more impact on the way the 580s sound than the amp in my experience.

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 14
Whether the Creek is better than a component headphone jack rather depends quite a bit on the headphone jack in question. The jack of the Sony XA777ES was actually not bad at all. The jack on my Sony S7000 is better than most.

I like the MG Head a lot also and think the Creek is a poor choice with the Sennheriser HD580. The Corda HA-1 should also be considered in this price range. I'd say to put the META42 in your considerations but it seems to be rather backordered from everyone making them.

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I'd say to put the META42 in your considerations but it seems to be rather backordered from everyone making them.

....well, not everyone.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
....well, not everyone.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, JMT! I thought you were too. Should have known -- fastest solder on Head-Fi.

Oct 4, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 14
Personally, if I had $300 or less to spend on an amp for the HD 580, I'd buy a Little. I think it's as good as or better than the Creek and the MG Head (the Head I heard, at least) with the HD 580, plus it has the best upgrade path of any amp -- you can upgrade it to pretty much HeadRoom Max level, one step at a time. Plus it has crossfeed, which is a requirement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back