Best amp for HD580
Oct 5, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

oddball5733

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the head-fi community and I just recently purchased a pair of HD580's. I've still yet to receive them in the mail and I eagerly await their arrival. I want to buy an Amp for my awesome phones, but I'm still a little unsure as to what to purchase. My price range is around the $100-150 area, so i was looking at the little dot II+. Is this well sync'd with my headphones. Your advice would be much appreciated. thanks

-Ariel

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 16
Not sure what would be the best amp but a X-CanV3 would not sound bad.

The X-CanV3 is a well designed amp and looks nice too!

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...lx/xcanv3.html

227553247_4aa237d5ed_o.jpg

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 16
hmmm, for $100-150, you have several options:
1) pint
2) little dot 2
3) used perreuax shx-1
4) home-vibe
5) maybe a used head-five?
6) and probably others i cant think of right now, but which is a better option for the hd580, well i think i will let others voice their opinion on that
smily_headphones1.gif

Ill be the first to say it, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet! HA

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 16
The PINT is good.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 16
I think the X-Can is out of your price range. You can barely get a millet in that price range, maybe a stuffed fully functional board.

But yeah I really like my millet with the HD580. Warm and groovy enough, yet speedy and detailed enough too, but its probably out of your price range.

Im going to recommend a pimeta, with an AD823. Nice to have the ability to roll OP amps.

Watch out with the HD580 and inexpensive tube amps... If you pick the wrong tubes it can get very muddy and conjested, IMHO.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I think the X-Can is out of your price range. You can barely get a millet in that price range, maybe a stuffed fully functional board.

But yeah I really like my millet with the HD580. Warm and groovy enough, yet speedy and detailed enough too, but its probably out of your price range.

Im going to recommend a pimeta, with an AD823. Nice to have the ability to roll OP amps.

Watch out with the HD580 and inexpensive tube amps... If you pick the wrong tubes it can get very muddy and conjested, IMHO.

I'm starting to find my HD580 sounding muddy. And it could be as what you said, wrong tubes. I'm using the XiangSheng 708B, replaced stock tubes with Western Electric tubes and Electro Harmonix tubes.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robfow
I'm starting to find my HD580 sounding muddy. And it could be as what you said, wrong tubes. I'm using the XiangSheng 708B, replaced stock tubes with Western Electric tubes and Electro Harmonix tubes.

my 580 sounds like fart (well maybe not that bad) with my earmax.
biggrin.gif
I like it MUCH better with the pimeta or millet.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

my 580 sounds like fart (well maybe not that bad) with my earmax.
biggrin.gif
I like it MUCH better with the pimeta or millet.

I should be able to get hold of a go-vibe 5 soon. I hope the 580 - Govibe5 combination will be better than the XS 708b.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robfow
I should be able to get hold of a go-vibe 5 soon. I hope the 580 - Govibe5 combination will be better than the XS 708b.

there you go, should be much better IMHO.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Listening to a 580 with a Xin super mini III right now. If the mini IV or even the micro IV (slightly above the price range new - but in it if you can find them used) are anything like the III they are seriously worth considering with the 580.

Gives them the 580 the power they need but with an absolutely crazy sound stage (cross feed is nice for older recordings or if you dig that sort of thing). Also getting amazing battery life (the version III uses 3 AAA as opposed to version IV using 2 - maye that has somethign to do with it?)

In any case the Xin amps should be added to the list - especially as some of the older ones are getting dumped for really cheap prices (yesterday a Superdual, which I always found very nice with the 580, went for $65!)

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

there you go, should be much better IMHO.

biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 16
Of all the amps I've tried with 580s M^3 with AD8010 opamps is the best. In my experience 580s pair best with amps that are aggressive/analytical rather than warm. I also have Little Dot II+ (you mentioned it in your original post) and in my opinion it is a very competent little amp, but I prefer it with my Grados than with my Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back