BEST AMP FOR GRADOS
Aug 18, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

analog'd

1000+ Head-Fier
my melos sha-1 was very good with rs1's once it had bugle boys in it. with the stock sovtek tubes it sucked the life out of the music. made me wanna holler...

then a friend made me run spkr cable from my marantz model 7 preamp/ berning ba150 (tube) amplimifigator to an adcom gfs-1 switch box that has a hp out on it. blew the melos away. as it should have considering the amp and preamp and the telefunkins within them. that's primarily how i've been running my gs1000's with great success.

then last night I got a Ray Samuels Audio HR2 headphone amplimifier to allow me to enjoy the gs1000's in another room (with a line outta a naim cd5 cdp). it drove the GS1000's so well I felt I hadn't even heard what they could do til now. A fantastic combination that closed the gap between my akg k1000's and the gs1000's a bunch. but the k1000's are still top 'o the heap to me (ought to be since they are really speakers suspended near one's ears, as opposed to headphones).

for even less the xp7 comes awfully close to the hr2; and the sr-71 is a g-d steal even at full price for the amount of RSA goodness that it delivers. This is an amazing product line under $1,000. (I never heard a hornet, but I'd bet it's the same kinda deal)

By the way, I don't even like Ray Samuels. to heck with his positive attitude and kind demeanor. However; the great sound, incredible build quality and more than fair pricing along with his easy accessability make it hard to stay mad at him for very long whatsoever. As a cranky old codger that really makes me mad!

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, I like Ray (having only met him that once:wink:, and right now I'm on an RSA jag, eagerly awaiting my XP-7 to go along with my SR 71, and contemplating breaking the rest of the bank for a Hornet.

Ray and John [Grado]....?

Dude, that's Superman and Batman, Hercules and Achilles, Oppenheimer and Einstein .....

Andy

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 3
He makes some fantastic products, well built with good looks (the producnts) and good sound. I will not say they are my favorite but I will say they are very good. Hope you continue enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back