Best amp for Grado GS1000 - with constraints!
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Chikolad

500+ Head-Fier
I know there have been several posts about matching an amp with the gs1000 but I would like to hear specific suggestions to my "condition"
wink.gif

I recently purchased a pair of gs1000 and I'm currently listening to them straight from my Cowon D2 portable player (Don't laugh!)

I'm looking for a SS amp - Can't be bothered messing with tube amps.
It doesn't have to be portable.
An integrated DAC would be nice but it's not a necessity.
Price - I think $900 should be more than enough, but I'll be willing to stretch to $1000. I don't think it should cost more than my headphones did.

The thing is, I'm from Israel.
We have a very limited set of amps they sell here and which I'm able to listen to. This includes the ProJect Head Box SE II, Grado RA-1, Naim Audio Headline and the Grace Design M 902 (an overkill and way too expensive for me). That's it, not many more...

So I have to get an amp without listening to it first - this is where I have to count on you guys.
And of course, whichever amp I get, needs to be shipped to Israel.

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 64
What if my amp is also a DAC? Then I can listen straight from my computer.

Anyway I'm planning on getting a proper sound card with a proper DAC and I'll be doing my listening mostly through that.

But let's assume that I can always upgrade my source, and stick with finding the best amp for me.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 64
a sound card+dac1+amp,this is what i'm trying to do.and i think very convenient
way,because we spend so much time before pc...
cant give you exactly advise,i only have rs1,and never listen to gsk.for my experience,grado headphone has only 32ohm impedance,can easily be drived but just need a amp to improve sound signature.
BTW i think you're very couraged going straight to gs1000.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 64
Yes I went straight to the GS1000 once I decided to go for high end headphones. I tried several and those sounded the best to me. Why improve little by little when you can improve all the way?
smily_headphones1.gif

This way saves money in the end too...

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 64
You could go for a Keces 151 usb dac which I've heard good things about in this forum. For an amp, you could go with the Gilmore Lite with Dedicated Power Supply which I've also heard good things about in this forum. Together they should be about $850 plus shipping.

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chikolad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's it? Just the PS Audio GCHA??

C'mon people, I know you're better than this!

It has been quite good with all of my headphones - they have a 30 day return I believe.

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 64
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not a good amp. The contrary, it's one of my main contenders.

I was just saying you were the only one who gave me a recommendation, out of all the people here with their knowledge.
You were the only saint
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #13 of 64
You may want to look into the DIY designs and get a builder to make you one, or make it yourself. This may be cheaper than buying a commercial amp of similar performance. Just a thought..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back