Best amp for Etys
Nov 11, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 21
vertigo,

You may want to consider the ear hp-4 too. When I was at the headroom meet last year I tried my etys with most of the amps in the room. The hp4/ety combo blew me away. I remember liking the hp4/ety combo more than the omegas, and nearly as much as the orpheus. I think if I did it over again, I might have different results though, as my tastes and preferences have changed a little since then. I'm leaning towards the wide expansive sound associated with speakers rather than the lush intimate sound of the etys these days. Anyway, if you can, give it a try. You definitely will not be disappointed.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 21
I too have to agree that a nice tube amp is the way to go. I think the Ety's can sound a tad dry with SS equipment, but tubes definitely lend a little warmth to the sound. My only experience is with an EMP, and the Ety's sound heavenly through it. I do use a Cosmic to power my Ety's a lot, but this is because I can't exactly tote my EMP around from home to office every day.
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 21
I'm using the Etymotic ER4S with the KG amp right now but I can't really tell you how good it sounds. I sold my META42 a while ago and had been using the 580s alone for awhile so my memory is a little foggy. I can say that vocals are reproduced very well, but I'm not sure if that's because I switched from the 580s to the Etys or it's the amp. It's more detailed too but same deal there.

I can tell you that there are no glaring defects or equipment mismatch with this combo though, it sounds pretty good to me.

EDIT: Meant to put 4S but put 4P instead. One thing that I noticed about the KG AMP/ ER combo is that some recordings will appear overly bright especially classical. These are from my Nomad though so source might play a part. The music are all wav files. With the Ety's that you have (You have the binaural version right?) and the atteunated high end that might be a consideration if you are looking at the KG Amp.

This combo seems to be very revealing as well, much more than my old META42/580 combo but since you have the Omega IIs I don't think source would be a problem for you.

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
dvr,
That is exactly what I am looking for, but it seems to go against the grain of all the ZOTL reviews I've seen so far. Are you able to expand on that at all? Specific music tracks etc?

I found the Zotl/Ety 4S combo to be a little bright with classical music--similar to the Grado 325 sound I get. This might be great for some kinds of music and recordings. But I often seem to prefer recessed highs. And I've rolled only a few tubes--nothing like Hirsch and dvr.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I found the Zotl/Ety 4S combo to be a little bright with classical music--similar to the Grado 325 sound I get. This might be great for some kinds of music and recordings. But I often seem to prefer recessed highs. And I've rolled only a few tubes--nothing like Hirsch and dvr.

Hmmm?!?? I don't know what to think. I don't like bright, and I can't hande Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back