BEST AMP FOR DT 770 PRO 80 OHMS
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

shaggyyy

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I recently bought Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms. I connect it to my laptop MSI GE73 Raider 8rf which has inbuilt ESS Sabre HiFi DAC. Do I need to to buy an amp to get the best out of my DT's ?
How much of improvement will be there?
I'm planning on buying FiiO E10K Olympus. Is it gud for my headphones?
and if you know anything about ESS Sabre HiFi DAC enlighten me please!!!
Thanks in advance

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 21
I would say to buy the Bravo Ocean tube headphone amplifier and connect it to your MSI GE73 laptop.
https://drop.com/buy/bravo-ocean-amplifier
I myself would not spend a lot trying to drive the DT770 headphones.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 21
I have owned the DT770 Pro 80s for years now .. still my most frequently used headphones at home.. they need a amp but they aint that fussy about what it is... they sound good with enough power be it SS or tubes / hybrids..

it is your money if you have space / patience a used vintage / used stereo receiver 70s/80s / 90s.. in good working order can be amazing..

A small desktop amp is fine.. prices seem higher now.. a bit ago I grabbed a NOS Creek OBH-11 off ebay for $50~ that is great with them.. the fiio E10K should be fine also..

if I was y'all and I had a spare hundy I'd give serious thought to the JDS Labs Atom.. that will likely work well with headphones you may get down the line..

I recently finally got around to trying this 80s yammy receiver I bought for $20 a few years ago out due to "issues" with another vintage receiver I had on my desk here... not only do the DT770's sound great with it.. the somewhat annoyingly hard to drive Fostex T50RP MKIII's I have do as well... sooo there is that option as well if you have the room for such stuff.. The t50's are too loud for me around 9' oclock on the yammy.. clean clear.. good stuff.. powerful headphone section..

RX700U.jpg

but honestly get any ~decent amp and the DT770's are pretty nice indeed.. they aint that fussy.. if you wanna mix / record for that matter my Steinberg UR22MkII is fine with them also for that matter.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 21
I have owned the DT770 Pro 80s for years now .. still my most frequently used headphones at home.. they need a amp but they aint that fussy about what it is... they sound good with enough power be it SS or tubes / hybrids..

it is your money if you have space / patience a used vintage / used stereo receiver 70s/80s / 90s.. in good working order can be amazing..

A small desktop amp is fine.. prices seem higher now.. a bit ago I grabbed a NOS Creek OBH-11 off ebay for $50~ that is great with them.. the fiio E10K should be fine also..

if I was y'all and I had a spare hundy I'd give serious thought to the JDS Labs Atom.. that will likely work well with headphones you may get down the line..

I recently finally got around to trying this 80s yammy receiver I bought for $20 a few years ago out due to "issues" with another vintage receiver I had on my desk here... not only do the DT770's sound great with it.. the somewhat annoyingly hard to drive Fostex T50RP MKIII's I have do as well... sooo there is that option as well if you have the room for such stuff.. The t50's are too loud for me around 9' oclock on the yammy.. clean clear.. good stuff.. powerful headphone section..

but honestly get any ~decent amp and the DT770's are pretty nice indeed.. they aint that fussy.. if you wanna mix / record for that matter my Steinberg UR22MkII is fine with them also for that matter.

Woah! Thanks man for the detais.I'm considering about buying JDS Atom too! but I'm from India it's not available.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 21

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 21
Woah! Thanks man for the detais.I'm considering about buying JDS Atom too! but I'm from India it's not available.

my pleasure my friend... bummer that Atom isn't avail... but still not a huge issue the DT770's like power but don't need endless amounts and most 1/2way decent amps will do.. if the FiiO is what you can get then get that and be happy.. it should be fine.. the Atom would be more flexible down the road.. but meh???

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 21
By the way do you happen to know any thing about ESS Sabre HIFI DAC. My laptop(2100$) has it inbuilt, heard it's pretty gud at what it does. adding an 1/2 decent amp. My guess is its not gonna make much of a difference.
What do you think dude?

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 21
hmmm... I don't know that much about the ESS Sabre never heard it.. but I would consider giving it ago before dropping more money on a amp... if it get's the job done and sounds good then it is good...

I saw some post with people grumping about it with 250Ohms /600Ohms beyers... i'd try it out guessing it should / would be fine with the DT770 Pro 80's .. as my 250Ohm DT880's are noticably fussier about amplification ...

give it a shot if you like the sound then maybe you are done?

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 21
thought asking in here might be the best place?

I have a pair of 80 dt770's on order, I am thinking I might try upgrading my headphone amp to something a bit more futureproof in case I decide to get some higher ohm headphones in the future? I currently use a fiio e10k and I have a couple of headphones I use with it. most importantly my k702's. I have read around the web that this amp should power them but I kind of question whether it's doing a great job really? I think it might be struggling a bit?
I have a couple of superlux headphones, the hd 660's which I thought I would give a shot since I am interested in the dt sound signature, they are 150ohm 96db spl/1mw I don't think the fiio can drive these? I can turn them way up to full vol and boost on and I feel like it's still not opening up enough or even as loud as I would expect. I also have the hd 681 which are much easier to drive on the fiio but these aren't really music production headphones, they are just a fun pair of cheap open cans I picked up a while back. I did also test with my behringer interface the umc 1820 but the headphone output doesn't drive the headphones better than the fiio really.
so I am looking for something sub £150 for the headphones I have, I thought about the jds atom but I can't see this available to buy on amazon or ebay here in uk. I was wondering about alternatives for this? looking for something with a good frequency response, flat sound and will drive pretty much anything I can throw at it :p

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 21
I'm in europe and a lot of the best amp's are not sold over here brand new, but I managed to strike it lucky the other day and found an objective2 on ebay at a good price. just tested it out, wow! this gets loud with no detectable distortion.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 21
I recommend sending a pure digital signal out of the laptop and bypassing the sabre dac altogether. It's fine but what matters is how it's built and laptop builders don't build good dac sections as a general rule. Buy a Fulla or Hel or a Audioquest dongle thingy instead of just an amplifer as the dac outside your computer is an improvement almost always.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 21
I'm in europe and a lot of the best amp's are not sold over here brand new, but I managed to strike it lucky the other day and found an objective2 on ebay at a good price. just tested it out, wow! this gets loud with no detectable distortion.
Is the O2 (Objective2) connected to your computer or the FiiO E10K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back