Best Amp for Car (through AUX)
Dec 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Blackwheel

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a portable amp to boost the signal of my player before it gets to the AUX input of my car. Currently, the signal sounds weak, faded, and far away. I think an amp would really do wonders here. What do you guys recommend? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 17
I can only recommend buying a new DAP. I wouldn't use a portable amp to boost the signal. I have the opposite problem with the aux input on my Eclipse HU. The LO from my 6G iPod overloads it so I have to use HP out. Lately I've been using my i7 and have to keep the volume at 36/40 to prevent overload.

What DAP are you using?

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, well...maybe something inexpensive like the FiiO E5 @ $20.

That's one possibility... and it's light on the wallet.
I'm looking for something in the $0 to $60 range.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Since this is for a car audio system I don't think it would be worth it to spend much more since the only goal here is to boost the line voltage.

Right, but isn't that what amps are for
tongue_smile.gif
. Sorry I'm fairly new to headfi, please bear with me. And, would the Fiio E5 be the best performing choice at my price range?

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 17
You are correct, but some do it much better than others. It depends on what flavor you like mixed in. I've owned the E5 but I haven't kept up with the model line. There aren't many choices under $60 unless you get into used and/or DIY amps. I think the E5 would boost the signal fine.

At $20 you don't have much to lose. I think mine cost me just $10 when I bought it in a package deal with IEMs. I sold it "as new" just a short time afterward.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

You are correct, but some do it much better than others. It depends on what flavor you like mixed in. I've owned the E5 but I haven't kept up with the model line. There aren't many choices under $60 unless you get into used and/or DIY amps. I think the E5 would boost the signal fine.

At $20 you don't have much to lose. I think mine cost me just $10 when I bought it in a package deal with IEMs. I sold it "as new" just a short time afterward.

Alright, cool. Now, out of curiosity, let's say I wanted to go all out on this amp (like up to $200
normal_smile .gif
), then what sort of feature set would I be looking for, and what would be some good options.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 17
My recent interests have steered me away from portable audio. If you spend some time in this portable amp forum you'll find plenty to read. Most amps in the under $200 range will be basic with no features. In contrast, my XM5 amp is one of the more feature packed amps but was over $300.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 17
So far you've recommended:

Fiio E5 :$20

XM5: $Over 300

There must be something somewhere in between these two extremes that does a very respectable job of amplifying my audio signal. I've been reading up on Fiio E5 and I've heard some not so good things. (hiss, doesn't amplify much) Ideally, I'm looking for that great value product ( i.e. Nuforce uDac) for around 60 bucks.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 17
Spending 100+ on an amp for the aux input in car audio is completely ridiculous and insane. Even once you do that, you will be doing what is known as double (or even triple-depending on how you see it) amping, and the more times you try to amp it the lower quality it will be. Don't spend more than $30 if thats really your intention, not to mention that source isn't all that hi-fi to begin with. You could always find a CMoy amp if thats more your taste.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spending 100+ on an amp for the aux input in car audio is completely ridiculous and insane. Even once you do that, you will be doing what is known as double (or even triple-depending on how you see it) amping, and the more times you try to amp it the lower quality it will be. Don't spend more than $30 if thats really your intention, not to mention that source isn't all that hi-fi to begin with. You could always find a CMoy amp if thats more your taste.

Radios are never truly hi-fi, but HD radio is the closest to hifi radio you can get (I don't know if you've heard Hybrid Digital Radio but it's actually really nice quality).

So would my set-up be considered a double amped situation if I use a portable amp?

EDIT: Ah now, I see.
regular_smile .gif
(Amp in the player to the portable amp to the amp in the car)

Also, the headwise website seems to be down at the moment ( that's where they cell the CMoy amps correct)? The Marketplace link isn't working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back