Best Amp for Beyerdyamic DT990 ~$100
Feb 21, 2015 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. Looking for desktop amps for the beyer 990. No need for portable, these are open and I'm not gonna walk around with them.

Currently have Asus Xonar DG, Amp/Dac. I haven't hooked them up together yet, but from reading threads on here it seems I'll need another amp to really bring these to cans life.

Waiting for my DT990 and my Shure SE215-K to arrive right now. (1-2 weeks).

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 7
  Title says it all. Looking for desktop amps for the beyer 990. No need for portable, these are open and I'm not gonna walk around with them.
Currently have Asus Xonar DG, Amp/Dac. I haven't hooked them up together yet, but from reading threads on here it seems I'll need another amp to really bring these to cans life.
Waiting for my DT990 and my Shure SE215-K to arrive right now. (1-2 weeks).

Options.
Get an external headphone amplifier (FiiO E11K, $60) and connect it to the Xonar DG.
Or even replace the Xonar DG with an Xonar DX (nice CS4398 DAC chip) and use the DX with the E11K.
(used Xonar DX's can sell for under $50)

FiiO E10K ($75) or Schiit Fulla ($79), both are USB-DAC-amp
(USB DACs bypass all the sound card features)

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ($60-$80), better DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier, then the Xonar DG.
The SB-Z's built in headphone amplifier may not be the best choice for working with the IEMs (impedance issues), like the Shure SE215-K.

Where as the E11K, E10K and Fulla have headphone amplifiers better designed for working with lower impedance IEMs, like the 20-Ohm SE215-K.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Thinking about the Fiio E11k, but would I benefit more from a pure desktop amp? I will rarely use the amp portably. Would Schitt magni or a Fiio 10 for example be better?

This amp would be used with my Beyerdynamic dt990, Not even sure if I'm getting the Shure se215 now because the price bumped up to over $130 since I'm in Canada, so I canceled that order for now.

Edit*

I'm hearing that the Fiio E11k can't be used while charging, is this true?

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 7
  Thinking about the Fiio E11k, but would I benefit more from a pure desktop amp? I will rarely use the amp portably. Would Schitt Magni or a FiiO 10 for example be better?
This amp would be used with my Beyerdynamic dt990, Not even sure if I'm getting the Shure se215 now because the price bumped up to over $130 since I'm in Canada, so I canceled that order for now.
I'm hearing that the Fiio E11k can't be used while charging, is this true?

The FiiO E11K is about the best bargain in a headphone amplifier, my older model E11 on near max volume, could drive my 600-Ohm headphones.
and the newer E11K comes with more power.
I believe Schiit is sell their older model Magni for $79, regular price was $99.
So if you want the Magni, go for it.
http://schiit.com/products/magni
E10K does not come with as powerful a headphone amplifier, as the E11K, but the E10K amp is still decent.
The older model FiiO E11 could not be used while the battery is recharging, but the newer E11K can drive headphones, while recharging (connect to USB).

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 7

The FiiO E11K is about the best bargain in a headphone amplifier, my older model E11 on near max volume, could drive my 600-Ohm headphones.
and the newer E11K comes with more power.
I believe Schiit is sell their older model Magni for $79, regular price was $99.
So if you want the Magni, go for it.
http://schiit.com/products/magni
E10K does not come with as powerful a headphone amplifier, as the E11K, but the E10K amp is still decent.
The older model FiiO E11 could not be used while the battery is recharging, but the newer E11K can drive headphones, while recharging (connect to USB).

Both the Fiio E11k and the Schitt Magni (original anyway) are along the same price, but do they give similar applifications? - Is what I'm asking basically. Is the Magni superior to the Fiio E11k? I keep hearing the Magni is the only amp you'd ever need (under most circumstances). Also, does the Magni have a bass boost? I can't see that option anywhere.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7
  Both the Fiio E11k and the Schitt Magni (original anyway) are along the same price, but do they give similar amplifications? - Is what I'm asking basically. Is the Magni superior to the FiiO E11k? I keep hearing the Magni is the only amp you'd ever need (under most circumstances). Also, does the Magni have a bass boost? I can't see that option anywhere.

I'm guessing the Magni does not have a bass boost.
But I guess the Magni is still a little more desirable, over the E11K.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I had great results with my FiiO E09K with my 600 Ohm DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back