Best amp for $300-$380
Dec 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Arion

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I am looking for an amp for a pair of Ultrasone Pro 2900's.
My budget is $300 but I am willing to go $50 to $80 more.
I am looking for the amp to have a warm sound (generally tube amps but Asgard is a warm ss) and make my headphone sound the best they can or best they can for the money so better mids, highs, Treble and bass.
I currently do not have a DAC but am planning on getting one later as with combos you don't usually get a great amp with a great DAC it's usually one or the other.
The sources I use are my computer and my iPod.
I listen to electronic, dubstep, hiphop/rap, and some Alternative.
The Amps I am looking at are the Schiit Asgard and Valhalla, The Matrix cube and M-Stage, The little Dot MK III but I don't know anything about the best tubes to get for the sound I want.
But hopefully someone can help me out a point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Arion

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Get an Asus STX - best value for money, especially if you use a computer.

As for the iPod, you would need an amplifier, not a DAC, and the built-in DAC of the iPod isn't exactly something worth pairing up with a top-grade amplifier.

Seriously an STX with any amount of EQ will sound better than any DAC in that price range, it's even below your budget, and will even drive top-notch headphones in case you wish to move up on that front one day.

mechan

edit: added couple of additional comments

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Get an Asus STX - best value for money, especially if you use a computer.

As for the iPod, you would need an amplifier, not a DAC, and the built-in DAC of the iPod isn't exactly something worth pairing up with a top-grade amplifier.

Seriously an STX with any amount of EQ will sound better than any DAC in that price range, it's even below your budget, and will even drive top-notch headphones in case you wish to move up on that front one day.

mechan

edit: added couple of additional comments

I am not going to get a STX because its supposed to be overly bright (which is too much of a good thing) And also bass is flabby which is bad especially with dubstep and Electronic being some of the main genres I listen to. And I would only us it with my iPod from time to time it's mainly going to be used with my computer

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 7
I certainly do not need another amp, but I've decided I am going to invest in a new one.  I have the Woo 3, and I want a solid state amp.  I've researched this extensively, and my budget is very similar to yours.  I've concluded I will get the Asgard.  I picked it because people said it was slightly warm, had a good sound stage, and was true to the source's PRAT.  Also, I plan on getting some HD600s, and these two are said to be a very synergistic match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back