Best amp/dac for nighthawk and oppo pm3
Nov 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

matan124

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for an amp/dac around 300$ for my audioquest nighthawk and oppo pm3.
I was going to buy the oppo ha2se but a friend suggested me to invest in a desktop amp/dac and not in a portable one.
I want an amp/dac that will be suitable for better headphones in the future.

I never had an amp/dac before so can someone explain what are the differences between the different kinds? For example what will be different in the sound when listening to the pm3 or the nighthawk with the oppo ha2se and the grace design m9xx?

Thx a lot

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Very subtle differences in terms of ultimate transparency and tonal balance.
Not always the most expensive is the one you'll like best.

Schiit Jotunheim should work great but it's 500usd with the DAC, I think.

FiiO X3II + FiiO K5 would be a very versatile DAP/DAC/Amp setup, that's also DSD capable and offer extra room for more power hungry headphones.

Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber is always a solid pick as well.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 8
  Very subtle differences in terms of ultimate transparency and tonal balance.
Not always the most expensive is the one you'll like best.

Schiit Jotunheim should work great but it's 500usd with the DAC, I think.

FiiO X3II + FiiO K5 would be a very versatile DAP/DAC/Amp setup, that's also DSD capable and offer extra room for more power hungry headphones.

Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber is always a solid pick as well.

FiiO X3II + FiiO K5- not looking for a dap, im useing my laptop and my phone with apple music as source
Do i need to buy both Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber? also comparing them to the oppo ha2se is there a huge difference?
Also is there a combined amp/dac? id rather have that then buying them seperatly unless it would be lower quality?
i usually listen to rock music or songs with bass like lana del ray so the bass is really important to me (if it matters in dac/amps?) 
i know nothing about dac/amps, need some explanations 
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 8
  FiiO X3II + FiiO K5- not looking for a dap, im useing my laptop and my phone with apple music as source

Me x3: FiiO X3II is a USB DAC as well as a DAP so it can be used as a DSD capable dedicated DAC docked in the K5, and also as a DAP if you some day decide to pick it up from the dock and use it on the go or somewhere else.

Do i need to buy both Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber? also comparing them to the oppo ha2se is there a huge difference?

Me x3: You need both because one is a quality DAC and the other is a quality amp, they complement each other.
The Oppo should sound fine. Schiit Modi2Uber/Magni2Uber (or FiiO X3II/K5 combos will provide much more power and headroom for a wider range of headphones)

Also is there a combined amp/dac? id rather have that then buying them seperatly unless it would be lower quality?
i usually listen to rock music or songs with bass like lana del ray so the bass is really important to me (if it matters in dac/amps?) 

Me x3: Matrix HPA-2 is a solid pick among desktop DAC/Amps.
FiiO E17K Alpen 2 has similar power to the Oppo, more features like bass and treble control, sleep mode, you know and it costs 1/3. The Oppo has a more fancy DAC chip though.

i know nothing about dac/amps, need some explanations 
confused.gif

Me x3: The DAC picks the digital information (010001010110...) stored in your computer and transforms it into an analogue signal to feed the AMP, the amp use that input to drive the headphone.

These are all quality products so you can't go wrong really. Some of these are more powerful (HPA-2, K5, Magni 2 Uber) some offer more portability, some might offer better value for the money, but these are all still very nice enjoyable products.

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 8

Sorry for being annoying but i got few more questions before buying the amp/dac if you dont mind.

1. first of all im thinking if i should invest in the Grace Design m9XX (500$ on massdrop) or is it a waste? i mean does it actually sound alot different then listening with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber or other amp/dac? and if so how much different?

2. can you compare the matrix hpa-2  to the schiit combo? i mean they all sound similar? if not what are the differences?

3. the matrix hpa-2  did you mean this? (it say only amp in the title) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-M-stage-HPA-2-Headphone-Amplifier-AMP-black-/141685318697?hash=item20fd1a6429:g:Ft4AAMXQWzNSn~Dg

4. you said that the oppo ha2se should sound fine but how is it compare to the other you suggested? also from reviews i read the ha2se can power 300 ohm headphones so why should i buy other amp/dac over it? (talkng about sound quality)

thank you soooooo much

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 8
  Sorry for being annoying but i got few more questions before buying the amp/dac if you dont mind.

1. first of all im thinking if i should invest in the Grace Design m9XX (500$ on massdrop) or is it a waste? i mean does it actually sound alot different then listening with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber or other amp/dac? and if so how much different?
Me x3: Very subtle, hardly audible at best.
2. can you compare the matrix hpa-2  to the schiit combo? i mean they all sound similar? if not what are the differences?
Me x3: Similar overall, you could find the Matrix a bit warmer with less splashy treble
3. the matrix hpa-2  did you mean this? (it say only amp in the title) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-M-stage-HPA-2-Headphone-Amplifier-AMP-black-/141685318697?hash=item20fd1a6429:g:Ft4AAMXQWzNSn~Dg
Me x3: No, that's just an amplifier, not a DAC/Amp. You should look for those with USB on the back plate. This is the latest version
http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/100/index.html

4. you said that the oppo ha2se should sound fine but how is it compare to the other you suggested? also from reviews i read the ha2se can power 300 ohm headphones so why should i buy other amp/dac over it? (talkng about sound quality)
Me x3: Most 300 Ohm headphones are not that hard to drive, some 600 Ohm Beyers are harder to drive, some AKGs are harder to drive despite being 67 Ohm, some Hifimans are much harder to drive (HE-4, HE-6) despite being 50 Ohm headphones. Differences in terms of sound quality are subtle some people don't even hear them. Slightly bigger stage, slightly blacker background, or slightly clearer treble, you know some very fine details here or there could make you prefer one or the other. Strictly from a price performance ratio perspective I see no reason to go over the FiiO Q1, I've enjoyed my HD650 with it many times and it gets the job done. In other words, you can get very good sound quality out of a 70usd DAC/Amp and call it a day. If you want to chase that extra bit of this or that it will cost you a good amount of money in exchange (or even tons of it), if you have the money and like to own certain product then why not? But you won't get proportional increase in terms of SQ once you've passed a good performer like the affordable Q1.
thank you soooooo much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back