Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Aug 18, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #646 of 664
I disagree. It's the striking treble (over) detail that makes the 007 and 009 so notable - but compared to high quality recordings of non amplified performers is the tell. Crystalline and understated sibelance - or if you like they emphasize S's. Not as immediately notable like so many pieces, but over time it aggregates, and you realize it's not correct.

The Voce is more neutral - all of a piece, plus it has the best bass of any stat headphone I have heard.

The Warwick reviews certainly indicate it is a top notch performer. Not heard it.
That's fine its your ears, your preference. I think the Stax 007 and 009 are quite different in sound and the 009 is the better of the 2. The Voce to me sounds rolled off at either end and that why it sounds dull to me. I guess that's the joy of HiFi and it would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone else.

The Bravura are very neutral like an HD650 in tone, but more extension at each end and better imaging. They are a better e-stat to my ears than the Voce, but that's just my opinion and therefore should not be considered an absolute.

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #647 of 664
That's fine its your ears, your preference. I think the Stax 007 and 009 are quite different in sound and the 009 is the better of the 2. The Voce to me sounds rolled off at either end and that why it sounds dull to me. I guess that's the joy of HiFi and it would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone else.

The Bravura are very neutral like an HD650 in tone, but more extension at each end and better imaging. They are a better e-stat to my ears than the Voce, but that's just my opinion and therefore should not be considered an absolute.
All good. Yes the 009 is better I just roll them together in discussion.

Interesting you like the 650 for tone. I'm a 600 guy. I'll put the Bravura high on the list to listen too.

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #650 of 664
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #651 of 664
Hi! Did you ever get to check out the HDV820 with the HD800s?

Cheers
Yes i demoed it and compared it with Hugo2 for some days. But i choose Hugo2 over it in the end.I guess i thought it was more lively, fast and punchy and the better dac. I also tried Hugo2 as dac with hdv820. I was impressed with the sound and resoulotion of voices. Today i have much hyped Ferrum Oor + Hypsos that i use with Hugo2 as dac. In terms of synergy i think i was more impressed with HDV820 with HD800S then Ferrum - HD800S. But this is just from memory and i haven't done side to side comparisons. I think its a great choice for HD800S though.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #652 of 664
Oops double post

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #653 of 664
Hey guys sorry been a long time since I read this thread. Just to make things a bit easier if your recommendation wasn't recorded on the first post please reply to this message with it and I'll add it. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #654 of 664
Wow. Wow. Wow. Didn't expect the Leben to shock me. I've read that the CS300XS and CS600 make wonderful headphone amps with the Sennheiser HD800s. Well I quickly tried them out when I had these Shuguang Treasure Black Bottle 6CA7-Z tubes installed which I believe are EL-34 substitutes. It was okay. I put them stock Sovtek 5881 / 6L6WGC tubes back in last week which gave my Harbeths much more oomph and made the Hugo 2 a little too strident. Why I'm keeping the Mirus.

Well the 6L6WGC in the Leben CS600 and the HD800S do wonders. Heard KT120s also do great but already pulled them out because they made my Harbeths a little too euphoric, less dnamic and the CS600 really wasn't designed for them. I heard the tiniest nuances and it's so organic. Dynamics which the HD800s need like what the HDV 820 and Violectric V280/v281 provided. Think I'll keep the HD800S now. Shouldn't have hooked them up. Oh, I was using my vinyl rig with the Leben/HD800S playing the new "Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water 180g 45RPM 2LP Box Set" - SL-1200, SME M2-9, 20X2L, P-75 Mk. 3, Audio Note AN-S2 SUT.

FYI.... I wasn't impressed with the HD650s with the CS300XS when I had one of those. Preferred the Oppo PM3s if my memory serves me.

Do you still have your leben?

Also anyone try cary sli80 ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #655 of 664
I very recently had the opportunity to trade up to a mk2 Cayin HA300 from my mk1. Not only is it a better amp with my speakers but also with my HD800S. It further confirms my belief that a 300B amp is the ideal partner for the HD800S with its liquid midband and beguiling soundstage.

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #656 of 664
I very recently had the opportunity to trade up to a mk2 Cayin HA300 from my mk1. Not only is it a better amp with my speakers but also with my HD800S. It further confirms my belief that a 300B amp is the ideal partner for the HD800S with its liquid midband and beguiling soundstage.

What other tube amps have you tried ?

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #658 of 664
I'm interested in peoples thoughts. Currently, using a Chord Mojo 1, but looking for an upgrade for my Sennheiser HD800S. Thinking about:

Amp: (looking for a warmer sound - classical, jazz, soul - vocal)
Aune S17 Pro
Xduoo TA-20 Plus
Schiit Jotunheim 2
Schiit Lyr+
Schiit Mjolnir 3 (although I hear its a limited run)

Dac: (looking for a warmer sound - classical, jazz, soul - vocal)
Denafrips Ares 12th
Schiit Bifrost 2/64

I was considering going all out with a Woo Audio WA6-SE and Denafrips Pontus II 12th, but thought I might be able to achieve similar for less.

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #659 of 664
I'm interested in peoples thoughts. Currently, using a Chord Mojo 1, but looking for an upgrade for my Sennheiser HD800S. Thinking about:

Aune S17 Pro
Xduoo TA-20 Plus
Schiit Jotunheim 2
Schiit Lyr+

Denafrips Ares 12th
Schiit Bifrost 2/64

I was considering going all out with a Woo Audio WA6-SE and Denafrips Pontus II 12th, but thought I might be able to achieve similar for less.
I am playing the HD800S on the TA-20 Plus feed from a Denafrips DAC. The TA-20 Plus has Amperex Bugle Boy tubes fitted.
Very nice. Big warm sound.
But if you get the Pontus you may like to consider the Denafrips Artemis amp which was voiced using the HD800 as reference and obviously will have synergy with the Pontus.
I have the Artemis also and it is a great combination with the HD800S.
My only caveat is that I hear there is an improved Artemis in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #660 of 664

Aune S17 Pro
Xduoo TA-20 Plus
Schiit Jotunheim 2
Schiit Lyr+

Denafrips Ares 12th
Schiit Bifrost 2/64

I haven't heard that Woo model but if you have the chance to get a SET amp, then always get a SET amp for the HD800S. It will bring out everything that is good about the HD800S like space and imaging and add a little sprinkle of warmth to the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back