Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Dec 18, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #376 of 664
I know it's not on your list, however, given your criteria, I can heartily recommend the Benchmark DAC3, either DX or HGC. They are astounding with the 800S! Neutrality, space, sense of realism, PRAT .... They're all present.
I appreciate you’re recommendation, that is way out of my current price range. Should have listed it but my current budget is around $600ish for dac/amp.

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #380 of 664
‘How would you compare the Benchmark to the Sennheiser 820?

I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion, since I don't have any experience with the 820. All I can say is that the Benchmark is an extraordinary and extraordinarily well built performer. I was looking for an end-game DAC and did a lot of research before buying it. I narrowed choices down to the Yggdrasil and the Benchmark and in the end chose the Benchmark. What I wasn't prepared for is how good the headphone amp is. In my opinion, it's the perfect match for the HD800S.

Dec 21, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #382 of 664
Would anyone know where I might be able to listen to both the Benchmark DAC3 and the Sennheiser HDV 820? Somewhere in the Northeast, preferably New York, Pennsylvania or Maine....
HDV820 is poor value. There are amps that easily outperforms it. HDV820 brings out the peakiness of the HD800S and gets fitiguiging quick. The mids are loose and not defined well. It sounds like treble is lifted with mids pulled back, and you definitely don't want that from HD800S. Also doesn't seem to have much power to other headphones, and the output impedance being significant, it's not very versatile.

Other amps more worthwhile. Bryston BHA-1, Phonitors, Liquid Platinum, BH Crack, etc. etc..

I'm thinking the output impedance causes a bit of looseness to the sound that causes mids to be a bit hazy.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #384 of 664
HDV820 is poor value. There are amps that easily outperforms it. HDV820 brings out the peakiness of the HD800S and gets fitiguiging quick. The mids are loose and not defined well. It sounds like treble is lifted with mids pulled back, and you definitely don't want that from HD800S. Also doesn't seem to have much power to other headphones, and the output impedance being significant, it's not very versatile.

Other amps more worthwhile. Bryston BHA-1, Phonitors, Liquid Platinum, BH Crack, etc. etc..

I'm thinking the output impedance causes a bit of looseness to the sound that causes mids to be a bit hazy.
Did you even heard it? Because from description it seems not.

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #386 of 664
Different impressions here. On my 5th pair of HD800(S) and finally got the result I was always hoping for...with the HDV820. Sublime combination.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #388 of 664
I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion, since I don't have any experience with the 820. All I can say is that the Benchmark is an extraordinary and extraordinarily well built performer. I was looking for an end-game DAC and did a lot of research before buying it. I narrowed choices down to the Yggdrasil and the Benchmark and in the end chose the Benchmark. What I wasn't prepared for is how good the headphone amp is. In my opinion, it's the perfect match for the HD800S.
I use the benchmark dac1 and dac2 with the S and the combination is extraordinarily.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #390 of 664
Anybody tested the hd800/800s with the V281 and chord qutest? Ardilla in his extensive -best amp for hd 800 ranked the V281 second after the EAR HP4. Mostly using the vioelectric v800 dac. Oc the V281 is fully ballanced, the chord dac se. Prob. not optimal? By the way; are the EAR HP4 still in production and possible to buy new?
Hugo 2 as dac into Lake People RS 02(Violectric related company) €589 is very good with HD800S so qutest would be so to.

https://www.cma.audio/en/categories/headphones/headphone-amps/lake-people-hpa-rs-02
I think RS 02 has more depth and resolution then THX 789 but THX is more faster and effortless some kind of fluidity. Lake People i think aims to have a more neutral sound then there Violectric brand. My LP RS02 amp is very neutrual in my book and very dynamic also. It adds something to Hugo2 rather then take away compared to direct driving from Hugo2, it adds weight, resolution and soundstage width imo.

I think though RS02 is discontinued and replaced by G111. I think they should sound about the same, seem to have the same parts.

https://www.cma.audio/en/categories/headphones/headphone-amps/lake-people-phone-amp-g111-black

V281 should be even better?

I am also all good driving HD800S with Hugo 2. Bass got better after buying niagara 1000 power cleaning and quality power cables and digital cables. More tight, deeper articulate bass. I think hugo 2 colours the least and have a very realistic sound and cleanest sound direct driving.

I like to switch between Hugo 2 direct driving one week then Lake People RS02 alternatively THX 789 driving HD800S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back