Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #571 of 664
The two EC amps I have owned did not add much tube warmth at all. EC amps just never had a reputation for warmth. The 4-45 excels at creating an amazing soundstage, but isn’t warm-sounding in the slightest. I previously owned an EC Super 7, long out of production, that sounded great but wasn’t warm either. Maybe an EC amp based on the 300B would check that box, but I would ask Craig first.
That's an aspect of EC amps that I appreciate and highly value. A lot of tube headphone amps I've sampled from mid 00s and early 10s sound very warm and overly lush and EC is the only amps that provide great soundstage depth and resolution whilst maintaining a relatively neutral and dry presentation. I missed out on most EC releases during the early 10s period and the ones I most wanted to get was the balancing act and super 7 and I always wondered how they would sound with my headphones. I have no doubt they will play very well with today's headphones.

The studio b is certainly a warm sounding amp but still very much an EC amp. No hint of bloat and amazingly wide soundstage with great bass presentation. Imparts a certain tactility to the sound and is in no way limited with it's low end presentation. Certainly the best amp I've own and an integral part of my setup. Hopefully the components can provide me decades of enjoyment. Only other manufacturer I feel as strongly for is DNA amps but that has a totally different sound from EC amps. The stratus is an absolute gem.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #572 of 664
Hey guys I just got HD800s, and was thinking of pairing them with Topping A50s.
Or would I be doing a big disservice to HD800s and should get something else?
I am not really looking for a DAC just the amp

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #573 of 664
Hey guys I just got HD800s, and was thinking of pairing them with Topping A50s.
Or would I be doing a big disservice to HD800s and should get something else?
I am not really looking for a DAC just the amp
Sorry to break it to you but hd800s is both dac and amp picky. The cheapest thing I got to sound okay on hd800s was chord mojo.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #574 of 664
I am looking at something in the $400 range (used), so Mojo would work. Anything else in that range?

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #575 of 664
I am looking at something in the $400 range (used), so Mojo would work. Anything else in that range?
What is the amp?

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #577 of 664
The amp that I have now is Topping A50s

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #578 of 664
The amp that I have now is Topping A50s
You could keep the solid state DAC idea but add a Dark Voice OTL to get the most out of the headphone. Also it adds more dimension to the sound stage. I bought a used BottleHead Crack that was modded heavily by the builder and it's amazing $600 amp used. If the isn't causing any issues with the HD800s high frequencies find the warmest DAC you can. Headphone is picky because it's a screamer.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #579 of 664
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-crack-headphone-amplifier-kit-review.15714/

While the BottleHead Crack is a one trick pony that can yield good results, if you enjoy how it colours the sound of a high impedance headphone, great. I owned the HD800S and had a very nice La Figaro 339 with amazing tubes and it was a euphoric sound, but using the speaker tap cable and driving the HD800S from the speaker terminals of my NAD M3 which is a solid state amp was everybit as good as the OTL 339 could ever be. Better if you consider that I could also drive a 16ohm headphone equally well.

Really, just get an affordable and well designed SS headphone amp, of which there are several excellent candidates now, and if you love the coloured sound tubes provide you can just use an equalizer to add the colour. OTL amps can sound lovely with the right headphone, not saying they can't, but they are very limited in terms of what they play well with.

Still, I get the magic of the tube glow, they are seductive little things.

May 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #582 of 664
@minimus ,which tubes do you prefer to run in your Apex Teton?
As far as tubes go, the 6SN7 input tube has the most effect on the Teton's sound. The warmest sounding tube I have used in this spot is the RCA 6F8G, the most detailed and dynamic is the Sylvania metal base - expensive and increasingly rare but overall probably the best input tube for the amp.

As far as output tubes, I like the TI 6528 best. This output tube causes the amp to run hotter than 5998s and 6080s, though, something to keep in mind because heat isn‘t great for longevity of audio equipment. Tung Sol 5998s and Bendix 6080s aren’t quite as good to my ears, but it’s not a major difference and they keep the amp cooler than the 6528.

I actually prefer the stock Sylvania rectifier Todd provided with the amp. I bought some other rectifiers from Upscale Audio and eBay, including a Mullard U52. Prefer the stock Sylvania, but in a blind test probably couldn’t distinguish between them.

Years ago, somebody started a long thread on Head-Fi singing the praises of her large collection of rectifier tubes, evaluated in a Woo WA22 and WA6, claiming the most valuable ones sounded astonishingly better than the less valuable ones. She then put her entire collection of rectifiers up for sale here in the classifieds, so it seemed a little sketchy to me. In any case, I think most rectifiers sound pretty similar in the Teton. Felt the same way back when I rolled rectifier tubes in the Woo WA22 I owned many years ago - they all sound pretty much the same (and none made the WA22 sound good.) Could be one reason that Craig Uthus of Eddie Current designed his amps around inexpensive new production Russian rectifier tubes.

Bottom line: don’t spend money on exotic, expensive rectifier tubes, you’ll get most bang for the buck from rolling the input tube, followed by the output tube.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #583 of 664
Thank you, minimus, for the detailed response. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine into trying the Teton because I think it would be perfect for her. She loves headphones and industrial designs. Simplifying the tube purchasing for said amp might be the perfect way to convince her.

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #585 of 664
Hey guys,

what do you think combining the Fiio K9 Pro ESS with the HD800s?

That's what the FiiO looks like inside. I wouldn't want a amp with a plastic sheet inside at that price range K9ProPlastic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back