Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Mar 9, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #526 of 664
After pretty intense testing, and a lot of reflection, I have decided to return the HDV820. Really liked the amp, and the build quality is phenomenal, but the Topping stack was virtually indistinguishable. There were some small differences, but if I am going to spend $2,400 it needs to create a more distinct impression. Still, it makes me sad to let it go, but it seemed a waste.
Well, now I am running the Chord TT2 and love it. Definite difference from the Topping and the HDV820. This is what I was looking for; very impressed with the TT2. I feel it is an excellent match for the HD800s. Of course I have other headphones as well.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #527 of 664
Does anyone following this thread have any experience with using the HD800 with an SPL Phonitor Amp? I'm getting tired of the somewhat sterile sound of my THX789 and looking to potentially upgrade to something better. I have budget of around $2K and was thinking of trying the SPL Phonitor XE (or possibly another variant - X or E or even 2), DNA Starlett, Bryston BHA-1, Ampsandsound (in the $2K price range) or possibly finding something cheaper used and also trying a Shortest Way51+ (SW51+) in addition.

I'd be looking for an amp that is dynamic and has pretty clear imaging and also plays nice with my other headphones (outside of the HD800) including the Focal Utopia and Audeze LCD-3. Any feedback or experience you can enlighten me with would be appreciated.

If you are primarily using dynamic driver headphones the starlett is one of the best amp period. It pairs especially well with hd800 and utopia. I do not own a lcd 3 so no comment on this pairing. You will need to wait at least 6 months but it is worth it.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #528 of 664
Best is relative, but currently using this combo, Bryston BHA1 and a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 for music and movies, works for me and couldn't really ask for more.:)

HD800S:Bryston BHA1.jpg

Like the fact that that CXN V2 can be used as a stand alone streamer with a full screen display.
CXN V2 display.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #529 of 664
Best is relative, but currently using this combo, Bryston BHA1 and a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 for music and movies, works for me and couldn't really ask for more.:)

HD800S:Bryston BHA1.jpg

Like the fact that that CXN V2 can be used as a stand alone streamer with a full screen display.
I have CXN V2 too. I think its best used as it is with RCA out to HP amp. I think CXN V2 with atlas mavros RCA out to Lake People RS02 HP amp sounds better (fuller larger sound with more weight)then CXNV2 with atlas mavros SPDIF out to Hugo2. The chain i think sound better also cost less. Unless you would use hugo 2 with cheaper source. The Hugo2 rca sockets are to small to fit the atlas mavros cables.

I do find the Hugo2 very good and usefull as a dac/amp to my TV though. It has a very neutral uncoloured realistic and clean sound with a lot of details. Havent tired of it yet.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #530 of 664
I have CXN V2 too. I think its best used as it is with RCA out to HP amp. I think CXN V2 with atlas mavros RCA out to Lake People RS02 HP amp sounds better then CXNV2 with atlas mavros SPDIF out to Hugo2. ..............
Have yet to hear a Hugo but the CXN appears to be a descent unit and with both balanced and unbalanced outputs was the only one that could be properly integrated into my system,
CXN V2.jpg

normally the BHA-1 sits behind the sofa bewteen the surround speakers and the CXN is in the rack at the front of the room, so I run a 35' balanced cable and run its RCA outputs feeding the pre-amp out to the Bryston 3BST2 powering the Dynaudio Special 25s.

back of room.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #531 of 664
Have yet to hear a Hugo but the CXN appears to be a descent unit and with both balanced and unbalanced outputs was the only one that could be properly integrated into my system,
CXN V2.jpg

normally the BHA-1 sits behind the sofa bewteen the surround speakers and the CXN is in the rack at the front of the room, so I run a 35' balanced cable and run its RCA outputs feeding the pre-amp out to the Bryston 3BST2 powering the Dynaudio Special 25s.

back of room.jpg

Im using the Cxn V2 with the Cambridge cxa 81 (RCA connection).

And a Singxer SA1 headphone amp (XLR connection)

The Cxn V2 is in pre-amp mode. Since it's a digital preamp it will keep the audio quality as it is.

I'm able to remote control the volume of both amps this way.

I use a apple TV 4k as well. Airplay to cast the TV sound to the Cxn V2.

Again. Works great with my headphone and loudspeaker setup.
Additional benefit.. the apple TV remote is able to control not only the TV but also the volume of the cxn V2.

Seriously love this machine. I'm able to stream whatever I could think of , from multiple different sources in our household.

I really like the display and the streammagic app.

Just in case I feel like scrolling through a usb stick or listen to some online radio without grabbing a phone or tablet.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #532 of 664
If anyone has a recommendation they posted in this thread but its not on the first post please DM me and ill add it, thanks!

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #534 of 664
You can add my username by all the Eddie Current amplifiers. I’ve owned the Black Widow 2, Balancing Act, and original Zana Deux.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #535 of 664
I have tried quite a number of amplifiers with the HD800 and then the HD800S and the best results I have had come from using DHT or SET amps. They produce a midrange of clarity and transparency quite unlike any other amp even pentode or push pull valve amps. Therefore my vote goes to the Cayin HA300.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #536 of 664
I have tried quite a number of amplifiers with the HD800 and then the HD800S and the best results I have had come from using DHT or SET amps. They produce a midrange of clarity and transparency quite unlike any other amp even pentode or push pull valve amps. Therefore my vote goes to the Cayin HA300.
Agreed, my tu8600S sounds incredible in terms of clarity, detail and smoothness

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #538 of 664
You can add my username by all the Eddie Current amplifiers. I’ve owned the Black Widow 2, Balancing Act, and original Zana Deux.
EC amps are special and works great with the hd800 but they are no longer available for purchase. Even the studio B is on it's final production run. Nevertheless they are some of the best amps for hd800 and dynamic driver amps period. I'd place DNA amps up there in the same pedestal as EC amps. The starlett sounds amazing.

would you care explaining what "DHT" and "SET" means?
Directly heated triodes like 45, 2a3, 300b.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #540 of 664
I guess my Icon Audio HP8 mk2 classifies as set / dht? It certainly sounds fantastic! I thought I'd get rid of it after purchasing the pass labs hpa-1 but I couldn't / can't / won't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back